Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald privilege: AA & BA LHR Arrivals Lounges (et al)

Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald privilege: AA & BA LHR Arrivals Lounges (et al)

Old Apr 15, 11, 5:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

A very nice bit of news from American Airlines arrived in the e-mail today - part of it is same as usual, but keep on reading (see the underscored bit):

"What are my Flagship Lounge / Arrivals Lounge Benefits?

Flagship Lounge

The Flagship Lounge is an exclusive, private lounge equipped with everything you need to relax or do business. American has five (sic) Flagship Lounge facilities located around the world —
  • Chicago: Terminal 3, Gate K19 at end of K concourse

• Los Angeles: Terminal 4, across from Gate 40, entrance through Admirals Club lounge (get keycard at admittance desk)

• London Heathrow: Terminal 3, Departure level after Passport Control, Exit Duty Free Lounge and turn right toward Lounge Area H

• New York JFK: Terminal 8, located beyond Security within the new Concourse B Admirals Club near Gate 12
"Normally, Flagship Lounge access is limited to customers traveling on a Full First Class fare on a 3-class nonstop transcontinental flight or in the First Class cabin on international flights. However, as a benefit of your elite status level, you may access the lounge as our guest regardless of the type of ticket purchased when traveling internationally on AA or a oneworld marketed and operated flight. AAdvantage Executive Platinum members are eligible to bring one guest with them provided the guest is also traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated flight and is accompanied by the eligible oneworld customer.
NEW Arrivals Lounge

Both American Airlines and British Airways have opened the doors of their Arrivals Lounges at London Heathrow, in Terminals 5 and 3, to AAdvantage Executive Platinum members landing on either airline's transatlantic flights, regardless of the cabin flown. To gain access, simply show your AAdvantage Executive Platinum card and your boarding pass at the front desk."[B]

The LHR American Airlines Arrivals Lounge is located on the floor immediately above the arrivals floor; once you have passed through H.M. Customs, go to your right and access it via a lift / elevator or stairs.

"All First, Business and oneworld Emerald passengers flying American to London Heathrow are invited to enjoy the Arrivals Lounge amenities upon their arrival (all other passengers can pay a fee of $90 USD + VAT for access to the London Heathrow lounge upon arriving). To enter, simply show your boarding pass and photo ID at the front desk.

Hours: 6.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m.

The Arrivals Lounge offers services and amenities, such as:
  • 29 Private showers
  • Hair dryers
  • Pressing Service
  • Complimentary beverages
  • Cappuccino/Espresso
  • Breakfast bar with hot and cold selections
  • Fax/copy facilities
  • Complimentary Wi-Fi
  • 6 Individual workstations"
N.B. At LHR, BAA (Ferrovial subsidiary BAA, the airport operator,) rules do not allow lounge access unless one is departing from that specific terminal. Those arriving T5 and departing T3, for example, will not be allowed use of T5 BA lounges other than the Arrivals Lounges if they meet the conditions specified above.

Also please note this relates to AA and BA (and some IB) Emerald members alone, and does not apply to oneworld Emerald across the board; the agreement exists to justify AA and BA policies within the context of the new JBA (Joint Business Agreement) and ATI (Anti-Trust Immunity), much as BAEC added a Bronze level and AA/BA FF members can now earn AA or BA miles on each other's transatlantic flights.

Arrivals Lounges admission as described herein does not allow guests (AA Arrivals does, but the price is USD $90 + VAT per guest as stated previously, a bit exorbitant for most of us).
aa.com Flagship / Arrivals Lounges page link

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 16, 12 at 1:27 pm Reason: add
Old Apr 15, 11, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Glob
Good news for EXPs flying to LHR on BA. I believe the LHR AA Arrivals Lounge has been available to to EXPs for a few months already.

I wonder if they will expand this to the LGW arrivals lounge for the few TATL BA flights flying into LGW.
Old Apr 15, 11, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller View Post
Good news for EXPs flying to LHR on BA. I believe the LHR AA Arrivals Lounge has been available to to EXPs for a few months already.

I wonder if they will expand this to the LGW arrivals lounge for the few TATL BA flights flying into LGW.

Yes, this benefit has been available first to AA EXP prior to ATI then with BA since ATI, as I recall.

Odd how they don't mention the location of the BA Arrivals Lounge at T5.
Old Apr 15, 11, 7:27 pm

now this justifies the YQs

No seriously, nice EXP additional benefit
Old Apr 15, 11, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I got the same e-mail. It also said:

"As an elite status member, can I stand by for a different flight on the same day?
Yes, AAdvantage Executive Platinum members continue to have the option to stand by for a different flight on the same day of travel at no charge. This benefit also applies to passengers traveling with you in the same reservation."

Since it doesn't say domestic only, I guess this means international same-day standby is AA policy.
Old Apr 15, 11, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Globehopper View Post
Yes, this benefit has been available first to AA EXP prior to ATI then with BA since ATI, as I recall.
I popped into the AA Arrivals Lounge at LHR on a coach award ticket without any problem last month.
Old Apr 15, 11, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This is the first official statement about the benefit, but it is not new as it was introduced with ATI.

First they announced that BA Gold's could use the T3 arrivals lounge regardless of class flown, then rapidly extended that to EXP as well, but it was not formally added to the benefits list at the time.

So this may formalize it but I've been using it for a while.
Old Apr 15, 11, 8:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Ah I haven't arrived at LHR for some time, so was unaware. Nice benefit, though, as I enjoy a shower and light brekkies on arrival (and can use the airplane time for snoozing).
Old Apr 15, 11, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, *wd gold
and guest?

Very nice benefit.

As an EXP I can guest someone into the Flagship lounge, but can I guest someone in to the Arrivals Lounge at LHR, or do I get a shower and breakfast and my husband is out in the cold? Just wondering. (In reality I to LHR 3x-4x more often than my husband.)
Old Apr 15, 11, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by puppysara View Post
Very nice benefit.

As an EXP I can guest someone into the Flagship lounge, but can I guest someone in to the Arrivals Lounge at LHR, or do I get a shower and breakfast and my husband is out in the cold? Just wondering. (In reality I to LHR 3x-4x more often than my husband.)
According to AA site there is no guest allowed for First and Business customers, so I am guessing there will not be a guest allowed. The site still has not been updated to include EXP access
Old Apr 15, 11, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
It does list One World Emerald access and clearly states no guests under that heading for the LHR Arrivals Lounge.
http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=/...2&v_aadvTier=E

Also in the fine print below:
1Emerald customers must arrive into LHR on a flight operated by American Airlines, and provide their boarding pass.
Old Apr 15, 11, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
American has five Flagship Lounge facilities located around the world —
  • Chicago: Terminal 3, Gate K19
  • Los Angeles: Terminal 4, across from Gate 40, entrance through Admirals Club lounge
  • London Heathrow: Terminal 3, Departure level after Passport Control, Exit Duty Free Lounge and turn right toward Lounge Area H
  • New York JFK: Terminal 8, located beyond Security within the new Concourse B Admirals Club
1, 2, 3, 5...

I do seem to recall having heard this around the time of ATI last fall but good to have it in stone.
Old Apr 15, 11, 10:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I understand that the rules of spelling, grammar and punctuation are in abeyance on FT, but errors in thread titles still bother me.

Since al. is an abbreviation of the Latin alii, it should be expressed with a trailing period. For example, "et al."
Old Apr 15, 11, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

AA will learn to count properly when Jetstream comes on line. Other possibilities: maybe they are counting a Flagship Lounge not currently in evidence; they are merely attempting to see how much we are on out toes here; one of the folks who writes AA's material suffers from perissodactyly, though that might seem a bit too pedantic a possibility.

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul View Post
1, 2, 3, 5...

I do seem to recall having heard this around the time of ATI last fall but good to have it in stone.
Old Apr 15, 11, 11:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton, Marriott/SPG Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
AA will learn to count properly when Jetstream comes on line. Other possibilities: maybe they are counting a Flagship Lounge not currently in evidence; they are merely attempting to see how much we are on out toes here; one of the folks who writes AA's material suffers from perissodactyly, though that might seem a bit too pedantic a possibility.
Maybe a reference to the recently-closed-and-hopefully-soon-to-reopen MIA FL?

Search this Thread