Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald privilege: AA & BA LHR Arrivals Lounges (et al)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald privilege: AA & BA LHR Arrivals Lounges (et al)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Technically, you shouldn't be airside in T3 if you are departing from T5 but I think because arrivals and departures aren't segregated it is possible.
They are totally segregated. To get from the arrivals side to the departure side one has to go through the T3->T3 flight connections security check. However, because one may not have a BP for their connecting flight at that point, there is not a BP check there and hence no way to stop anyone getting into the departure area if they really want to.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Microwave
Newsflash: oneworld airlines can offer more lounge access than is required by oneworld rules;
I know that! And that was my point! This explains why AA EXPs get access to the Arrivals lounge at T5 but other OW EMDs do not.

I do not kepp replying to you to persuade you that you are wrong. What I want to do is to try to inform others about access rules as we know them from experience and anecdotal evidence (e.g. I saw the manual or I enquired with BAEC). When I first replied to UKOZUS that not all OW EMDs get Arrivals lounge, and that they, as QF EMDs was correctly denied entry, you said that I made a bold statement and that it says so nowhere. I agree with you that it does not say this anywhere 'officially' but this is why people are coming here - to find out what the actual rules are if they can't get them anywhere. You also made a reference to the press release, and I keep bringing it up and keep saying that it means nothing only because I do not want someone to seek entry and, possibly, make a fool of themselves quoting and referring to this press release.
You replies to my posts seem to imply that since there are no rules available officially and the press release seems to indicate that all EMDs get access it creates ambiguity and that possibly all EMDs do get access. If I got the wrong impression I apologize.
I understand your point - you complain that there are no official rules. However, my puporse was to share my knoweldge. I know I do not sound like an official source to you, and that's fine, but hopefully I will help someone understand why they were turned away from the arrivals lounge.
Old May 23, 2012, 12:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I appreciate the thoughtful reply. In case you couldn't tell already, I place blame for the entire debate at the feet of BA, as they need to make their rules more transparent--especially with the JBV in place.
Old May 23, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
My method for accessing Galleries Arrivals works pretty well:
  1. be denied entry after a TATL in WT on BA
  2. write to BA Customer Relations in great detail, explaining the problem and quoting the sources listed earlier in the thread
  3. receive response from BA Customer Relations, addressed to me, stating that I should be allowed inside
  4. bring a printed copy of said response with me on all future trips
  5. when denied entry next time, show letter, and get in
  6. write to BA Customer Relations about being denied again, receive free upgrade
  7. repeat as necessary
This is what I've been doing and it seems to work well ^
Old May 23, 2012, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
  2. write to BA Customer Relations in great detail, explaining the problem and quoting the sources listed earlier in the thread
  3. receive response from BA Customer Relations, addressed to me, stating that I should be allowed inside
  5. when denied entry next time, show letter, and get in
  6. write to BA Customer Relations about being denied again, receive free upgrade
  7. repeat as necessary
Is that the letter you posted earlier? I need to carry it with me! But that always let me in, dag- nabbit!
Old May 24, 2012, 7:25 am

Yep, the letter I posted before. It's been a few months since I tried to get in. Will have another attempt in about three weeks and will let you know what happens!
Old May 24, 2012, 9:20 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
  5. bring a separate copy to give to the lounge attendant to keep in their file or post next to the check-in desk
  6. when denied entry next time, show letter, and get in
  7. write to BA Customer Relations about being denied again, receive free upgrade
  8. repeat as necessary
I added the step that you forgot

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by brp
I added the step that you forgot

Cheers.
Excellent idea! Will do so next time.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
Still no news...

Thanks for the replies to date. More than I have gotten from BA!

Like I said in post when I was denied entry to T5 arrivals lounge I asked to see the Operations Manual they keep behind the counter and it clearly said that Qantas OWE is not allowed entry in arrivals lounge, even for Chairmans club. This contradicts that I was let in just 2 weeks earlier, and to be honest I'd always assumed I was allowed in! So long story short I would just give it a go and take a chance depending on who's on you may get in (but don't bank on it).

My biggest complaint was that on occasion I was denied the crew had handed me an arrivals lounge pass prior to landing like 30 minutes before I attempted to use it to gain access to lounge. BA should have taken responsibility for crew's mistake - but instead made me wait around whilst various people tried to quote the rules to me.... MISSING THE POINT and RUBBING IN SALT that just made me annoyed to the point of being vindictive!

When airlines spend $$$ trying to win business does anyone stop and think about the cost of P!ssing off premium customers... that sounds like a laughable business school case study in what NOT to do. I wonder if some executive in BA ever sees this and takes any notice - forget spending money on focus groups, just read this forum and fix some of the basics.

Anyway, will let you know if I ever hear back from BA customer service. When my status is retained I may just fly a few flights on Virgin and attach the ticket stubs to a written complaint letter instead!
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
Im flying AA first into LHR with a connection on BA in business to BCN. Am I allowed access to BA T5 Arrivals lounge?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by MikeTucson
In T5 is there any way to gain access to BA's Concorde Lounge as an EXP? What is the difference from Galleries First and Concorde Lounge in T5?
Not without flying in BA First - and that's for any passenger including BA Gold members. You can read on the rules here: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb

I've visited it once (on a 62.5K + $500AA award ticket) and found it quite nice; but not a very huge jump from the very nice Galleries First lounge.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Just to add a data point to this thread, I was able to use the T5 Arrivals lounge this morning after landing from JNB. I presented my BA boarding pass (WT) first to see if that would be sufficient. The agent saw it was for WT, and asked if I was a card holder. I presented my EXP card, and she then admitted me without any other questions.

It didn't seem that there were any other qualifications other than being a BA/AA Emerald.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by RChavez
Just to add a data point to this thread, I was able to use the T5 Arrivals lounge this morning after landing from JNB. I presented my BA boarding pass (WT) first to see if that would be sufficient. The agent saw it was for WT, and asked if I was a card holder. I presented my EXP card, and she then admitted me without any other questions.

It didn't seem that there were any other qualifications other than being a BA/AA Emerald.
Great to hear -- thanks for posting!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: GP plat, SPG plat
Great to hear -- thanks for posting!
Great news indeed! Hope to be reporting from the arrivals lounge in 8 hours
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
For anyone who uses the lounge:

What is the best approach in terms of picking up luggage, etc.

Should I get my luggage first, then use the lounge for 30-45min? Can I still get back to the elevator to the lounge if I get my luggage?

Or should I let my luggage sit on the belt for that time, use the lounge, then go get it?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.