Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GONE 29 APR 2015: Special ticketing procedure: award tickets from Manila / MNL / Phil

GONE 29 APR 2015: Special ticketing procedure: award tickets from Manila / MNL / Phil

Old Jan 26, 12, 4:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by miamigrad View Post
Did you read ALL of it?

American Airlines Manila CTO (Airesources, Inc. GSA) steps:

<snip>

Alternatively, if you are not able to physically present yourself at the Manila CTO, you may arrange to fax authorization for them to issue an e-ticket for the flight. This requires you to fax a detailed letter of authorization, accompanied by a copy of your passport and credit card and takes 2 - 3 days.
aaah! I see!
Old Jan 26, 12, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by magic111 View Post
Have your read the first post for the thread that your post has been merged into?

HKG_Flyer1 has provided an excellent step-by-step procedure for how the process works.
Thanks for the ^ ! This thread has done exactly what I had hoped, serving as a reference for those occasional travelers who happen to wander into a very, very obscure and not well traveled section of "AAdvantage world."
Old Jan 26, 12, 6:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You have two options: do what the first post says, or use a travel agency in the Philippines to act in your behalf. If you do not have a usable agency there, you must use the fax etc. option.

Originally Posted by robertocusato View Post
I read it. Problem is: I am not in the philippines
Old Jan 28, 12, 2:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
You have two options: do what the first post says, or use a travel agency in the Philippines to act in your behalf. If you do not have a usable agency there, you must use the fax etc. option.
Hi there people,

after having bothered everyone I could share my story - it seems that there are many twists to how to get a ticket originating from the Philippines.

So, after I put my reservation on hold, I called to confirm it and at first the AAgent confirmed my booking. After a couple of hours, I received an email which asked me to call AA about this reservation. So I called. The operator I spoke with told me that I should call AA agent in Manila (AirSources) to have the ticket issued by them.

I was ready to do it and I tried to call them, but it turned out that the phone number AA gave me was not working. So I called back again, and this time another operator picked up, telling me that I had to be physically present in the Philippines to have the ticket issued. I called again and another agent told me exactly the same thing - not even offering me the chance to work through the Manila AA office from abroad!

I hence called another time, finally finding a AAngel who was very helpful. She put me on hold to ask for advice to 2 supervisors, and she told me that this is what they would do:

1. pull out the miles from my account;
2. queue my reservation for ticketing;
3. detail all the matters to the agent in Manila;
4. asked me to go to the Manila office ONCE in the Philippines.

I asked her if it would not be a problem that I would be there only in late June (my flight was for mid-July), and she said that her supervisors assured her it would be fine.

I thanked her and I was feeling good.

After 1 hour, though, she called me back. This AAngel (Cheryl, if I remember correctly), told me that she was feeling uncmfortable about having me going to the Philippines without the ticket issued, and found out that I already had an award reservation ex-USA to Singapore for June 1st. What she suggested to do was to reinstate my miles, and add this other segment to the already-existing reservation - so that the whole itinerary looked like originated in the USA. I happily agreed and a few hours later:

1. The 29.xx usd in fees were taken from my cc;
2. the 35k miles were reinstated AND retaken from my account;
3. the new ticket (same PNR as the old one) was issued, with the new leg added.

All in all, I spend almost one afternoon working on this but I got my ticket!

Thanks to everyone on this forum who helped me! I hope my post can be helpful as well!
Old Jan 28, 12, 2:59 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Lightbulb ssolution: add a segment ex-another country at the beginning

I guess the way to solve the ex-MNL issue is to add another segment originating from outside the Philippines to the beginning of the ticket.

This way, the ticket will no longer originate from the Philippines and the ticketing issue would be solved.
Old Jan 28, 12, 7:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the update, robertocusato!^ Absolutely brilliant - it looks like you are good to go. And it highlights the importance of calling again in some circumstances, as some agents are more knowledgeable (or helpful) than others.

I wish I knew of a correspondent travel agent in the Philippines - I know I was able to get tickets and Mabuhay Miles Sports Plus cards (allows greater weight on PR flights when participating in a sport and, of course, paying for the card - but they also have to be purchased in person from a PR agent).

Dealing with the Philippines restrictions is a genuine pain - but now that you have added the results of your self-advocacy with AA, you point out there may be ways AA can help with an existing award. And to be preventive, one might be able to do as danielamm says.
Old Apr 7, 12, 5:09 pm

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by oneworld82 View Post
What she suggested to do was to reinstate my miles, and add this other segment to the already-existing reservation - so that the whole itinerary looked like originated in the USA. I happily agreed and a few hours later:

1. The 29.xx usd in fees were taken from my cc;
2. the 35k miles were reinstated AND retaken from my account;
3. the new ticket (same PNR as the old one) was issued, with the new leg added.
Great tip, which I was told would have worked for me- if just the miles hadnt come from different accounts

5 day limit from AAs "ticketing" till you need to properly ticket in Manila. Just that they are closed most days during Easter. Open Mon-Fri 0830-1730 local time, +6325248625.
Old Apr 7, 12, 10:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by daniellam View Post
I guess the way to solve the ex-MNL issue is to add another segment originating from outside the Philippines to the beginning of the ticket.

This way, the ticket will no longer originate from the Philippines and the ticketing issue would be solved.
This would seem to solve the problem. However getting this successfully done might require calling back to get a knowledgable agent especially if you are not taking an award flight into MNL on that same itin.

I recently had awards HKG-KUL and HKG-JFK issued as one itin to save the one $25 ticketing fee. Several agent said this is not valid. Had to call back several times to get an agent willing to book and ticket it.
Old Apr 9, 12, 2:43 pm

Booking an award flight where i'm not currently in originating city

Hi, I'm in California, and i was trying to book an award flight from Manila to Tokyo using my AA miles for a Japan Airlines flight. I did not book the SFO MNL flight through AA. Everything seemed to work out, status was ticketed, and then they canceled it. They explained i need to book the award in Manila, and i have to be physically there. I'm not flying into Manila til early June, and the Tokyo flight is in the second week of June. Any workarounds? Maybe authorize someone else to book it in Manila? They won't do anything for me here.

Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 12, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA 1.3 MM/LT Gold, WN A-List, DL Silver
Hi weeeeeeee,

Welcome to FT!

Your post has now been merged into the consolidated thread that discusses special ticketing procedures for award tickets that originate from Manila/Phillipines.

Last edited by miamigrad; Apr 9, 12 at 2:57 pm
Old Apr 9, 12, 2:51 pm

Thanks miamigrad!
Old Apr 10, 12, 4:36 am

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by miamigrad View Post
Did you read ALL of it?

American Airlines Manila CTO (Airesources, Inc. GSA) steps:

<snip>

Alternatively, if you are not able to physically present yourself at the Manila CTO, you may arrange to fax authorization for them to issue an e-ticket for the flight. This requires you to fax a detailed letter of authorization, accompanied by a copy of your passport and credit card and takes 2 - 3 days.
Airesources repeatedly states they do not take CCs by mail, fax or phone.
Physical appearance by 3rd party to pay is ok, if you cant go yourself. Wiretransfer the only other option. No Western Union, no paypal, no money tranfer.

They told me they had been able to on a case by case basis get AA in US to issue. This was very vague when I got AA EXP on a conf call, as they stated no US ticketing under any circumstances. One agent at EXP stated though that that was only by phone, and I could go to an AA office at an airport. I doubt this part.

Airesources put a note in my PNR to let AA US ticket and collect taxes, but they refused. MNL office explained the case by case basis to have been for people already at the airport ready to fly, or flying in from the province/Cebu etc.

There was no way AA EXP would collect the taxes and let MNL issue. Award flights ae on CX, and of course no way of letting CX MNL collect taxes.

Even worse, the Phil pax tax of about 63$, was to be collected for us! Thats only for locals or residents, but as long as we cant show an entry stamp into Phils they need to collect it. Supposedly its possible- but very difficult to claim it back.

I have tried looking into adding a segment first, but if on same award, they wont let you stopover longer than 24h, and if seperate award they will charge for that. Could have added a intra europe 10k award or something, but the 2 accts the CX F MNL-HKG-HND trips are pulled from dont have enough miles.

They have extended the hold with 2 days. Dont know how long that is possible, flying on partner metal. We are flying in on TG and staying for less than a week. Highly doubt they will extend the hold, even though the miles are pulled, another 4 weeks. That might work if the entry into Phils is soon, as advised by another poster.

Why cant AA get a serious partner accepting CCs? Require CCs in travellers name. Cant see many fraud issues there.

In case there are anyone present in Manila, I would be happy to paypal you fees, if you could get over there within the next days (or maybe send an assistant?) and pay cash.

Office is unfortunately in Malate.
Old Apr 15, 12, 1:47 pm

One way award from MNL

I booked a one was first class award MNL-HKG-JFK on CX using AA miles yesterday. AA just contacted me to say that they are unable to issue tickets originating from the Philippines and that I would have to pick up my ticket in Manila in the next 5 days. Unfortunately I won't get to Manila until October and by then award availability on CX will change. I remember reading about issues with tickets originating in the Philippines but also know of people that booked one way tickets from there. Is there anyway that AA can book this ticket? The agent I spoke with tried everything she knew and escalated to someone but they were both unable to help. Is this just an issue with AA or do I need to call back and try another agent?
Old Apr 16, 12, 6:17 am

my experience

Currently in the process of ticketing MNL-HKG-JFK using AA miles to fly CX. Following instructions in the first post (thanks OP) I called AA last night and was able to get them to pull my miles and queue reservation for ticketing. Took about 45 minutes on the phone with AA, 25 minutes to get an agent and another 20 for them to do what I asked. I was surprised how long it took them to process the request considering that the agent knew exactly what I was asking her to do. Afterwards called AA in MNL as suggested and it took 5 calls (first 4 didn't even ring so no hold time) 5th call was answered right away. That was funny considering how long the wait was with AA. I explained what I was trying to do and the person I was speaking to was very helpful. She emailed me all the details of where to transfer the money.

I plan on sending a wire payment today, was initially going to try the Philippine National Bank to remit payment as others suggested up thread but it is a bit inconvenient for me to get to their branches today so I figured I'll use chase and make the payment online, paying their $40 fee. Having said that since time is an issue as my reservation will only hold until the 19th would it actually be faster to do it via Philippines National Bank versus Chase? Also the fee amount that I was told I would need to pay seemed a bit high, not the end of the world but just wondering what others had to pay? I was asked for ($82 taxes + $25 Award ticketing + $35 International Bank charge) $142 USD. Does $82 in taxes sound right? When originally booking via AA I believe I was quoted something like $50, possibly less.
Old Apr 16, 12, 10:10 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
According to ITA, a revenue F ticket for MNL-HKG-JFK should have the following (in PHP).

USDA APHIS Fee (XA) 215.00
US Immigration Fee (XY) 301.00
US Customs Fee (YC) 237.00
US International Arrival Tax (US) 718.00
Philippines International Travel Tax (PH) 2,700.00

Not sure if the Philippines International Travel Tax is suppose to be charge if you are not a Philippines national.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: