Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GONE 29 APR 2015: Special ticketing procedure: award tickets from Manila / MNL / Phil

GONE 29 APR 2015: Special ticketing procedure: award tickets from Manila / MNL / Phil

Old Jan 4, 15, 9:54 am

Programs: Gold: VS, SQ, AF/KL
Originally Posted by djca View Post
My HKG-JFK leg is CX 888 which leaves HKG at 1 AM. I'm thinking of checking if I can have a different MNL-HKG flight to have a longer (but <24 hours) layover in HKG. Presently, I just have a <2 hr layover. Here's my question: Once I get the F seat ticketed at the local office, would I have to go there again if I decide to make another change to my reservation (same class)?
I would get their business card when you go there to ticket it and just email or call them if you need to make another change to your reservation.

Last year when I had an ex-MNL ticket, I had to change the date after getting it ticketed and they did it with no charge since AA doesn't charge changes as long as origin/destination are the same.
Old Jan 4, 15, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by kyamato View Post
is this issue only related to AA awards? I am planning to book an ex manila award with my dividend miles, will it be a problem?
It doesn't seem to be only related to AA awards since another poster mentioned Korean airlines having an issue.

Whenever I booked an ex-MNL ticket using United miles on Thai/Singapore/Asiana/ANA, I never had an issue booking those online.

I haven't seen any mention of Delta award tickets having issues ex-MNL but then again Delta only tickets roundtrip awards so the likelihood of someone having a oneway ex-MNL ticket is very low.

Similarly, Dividend miles price their award tickets as roundtrip regardless if it's an actual roundtrip or oneway so the amount of people ticketing one-ways ex-MNL using dividend miles is quite low. Give it a shot and please let us know of your results!
Old Jan 4, 15, 10:33 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kyamato View Post
is this issue only related to AA awards? I am planning to book an ex manila award with my dividend miles, will it be a problem?
I did not try with DM, but since the merger I would expect you'd have the same problem with them. I had a problem with AA and KE.
Old Jan 5, 15, 1:29 am

I went to the Manila AA GSA to get my return award return trip ticketed (changed from J to F). I had to pay $41.20 (US $17.70, YC $5.50, XT $12.00). I believe I've paid these fees already as part of the original roundtrip booking, so I'm not sure if AA will refund those separately back to my credit card. There was also a $25 ticketing fee and a 40 peso fee.
Old Jan 5, 15, 1:49 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Delta only tickets roundtrip awards
I think DL now allows one-way awards (effective 1/1/2015). In any case, it seems that one should never book a flight ex-MNL without it being a part of a R/T.
Old Jan 5, 15, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by relangford View Post
I think DL now allows one-way awards (effective 1/1/2015). In any case, it seems that one should never book a flight ex-MNL without it being a part of a R/T.
Unless you're flying star alliance. I've never had an issue booking ex-MNL tickets using UA Mileageplus miles on SQ/NH/OZ/star alliance
Old Jan 7, 15, 9:05 pm

Called the AAdvantage desk today to change my return MNL-HKG flight so I can have an 18 hour layover in HKG before my CX 888 flight. This is for a reservation that I already had previously changed from J to F, and for which I had to go to the Manila AA GSA to complete the ticketing. While the agent was processing the exchange for the MNL-HKG flight, he said that it appears that he has to collect $36 in taxes from me. He then put me on hold to clarify this charge, and then came back to tell me that he can do the exchange without me paying anything. He didn't mention anything about any issues since it's a MNL origin flight or that I should contact the Manila AA GSA.

$36 would be roughly equivalent to PHP1620 which is the regular Philippine travel tax. I didn't have to pay this at the Manila AA GSA when I did the original reticketing because I have an exemption.

Anyway, after the call, the status of the reservation changed to ON REQUEST. About 4 hours later, it has changed to TICKETED. But I guess I should still call AA and/or the Manila AA GSA just to make sure that everything is in the clear.
Old Jan 8, 15, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by djca View Post
Called the AAdvantage desk today to change my return MNL-HKG flight so I can have an 18 hour layover in HKG before my CX 888 flight. This is for a reservation that I already had previously changed from J to F, and for which I had to go to the Manila AA GSA to complete the ticketing. While the agent was processing the exchange for the MNL-HKG flight, he said that it appears that he has to collect $36 in taxes from me. He then put me on hold to clarify this charge, and then came back to tell me that he can do the exchange without me paying anything. He didn't mention anything about any issues since it's a MNL origin flight or that I should contact the Manila AA GSA.

$36 would be roughly equivalent to PHP1620 which is the regular Philippine travel tax. I didn't have to pay this at the Manila AA GSA when I did the original reticketing because I have an exemption.

Anyway, after the call, the status of the reservation changed to ON REQUEST. About 4 hours later, it has changed to TICKETED. But I guess I should still call AA and/or the Manila AA GSA just to make sure that everything is in the clear.
You should not have anything to worry about. I've been able to successfully do date and/or carrier changes for AA award tickets originating MNL without having to visit the MNL AA GSA again. Just a call to Advantage desk. I was told it's only the initial ticketing that requires the visit to AA GSA. HTH
Old Jan 19, 15, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by yannix View Post
You should not have anything to worry about. I've been able to successfully do date and/or carrier changes for AA award tickets originating MNL without having to visit the MNL AA GSA again. Just a call to Advantage desk. I was told it's only the initial ticketing that requires the visit to AA GSA. HTH
Thanks, I indeed didn't have any problems with the ticket, and didn't have to drop by the MNL AA GSA again. And I also didn't have to call AA to get the fees refunded for the original J booking, as I had to pay the same fees to to the MNL AA GSA for the change to F.
Old Feb 18, 15, 9:40 am

Just went through ticketing an x-MNL ticket again a couple of days ago.

If settling in USD, they take CC or cash. If you prefer PHP, it's cash only. I seem to recall being able to pay using CC and opting to do PHP before but I am not 100% sure. I had to leave and find an ATM across the street.

I was told I didn't need to pay them a visit next time as they now have a way of doing it via BDO transfer/billpay.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 2, 15, 3:56 pm

i booked an award travel from MNL to Tokyo (roundtrip) and MNL to HKG (one-way) with BA Avios. anybody know if i get into the same issue as this? thanks.
Old Mar 2, 15, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by ks7827 View Post
i booked an award travel from MNL to Tokyo (roundtrip) and MNL to HKG (one-way) with BA Avios. anybody know if i get into the same issue as this? thanks.
I've done MNL-HKG (CX) with no issues using Avios. No need to go visit any office.
Old Mar 2, 15, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Is AA the only with this problem?
Old Mar 18, 15, 3:46 pm

Just found out about this rule.

Does it only apply to AAdvantage award redemptions?

If I book a QF via Oneworld using BA Avios to go from MNL>SYD, will I come upon the same restrictions?
Old Apr 29, 15, 4:27 pm

I spoke to the AA office in MNL yesterday and they told me that the restrictions about ticket issuance have been lifted. That said, the AA US agent still could not issue the tickets last night. When I called back and asked the MNL office for wire instructions, they told me to wait a few days to give the new directive time to filter down to the proper authorities. They said they would watch my reservation to make sure it didn't expire. (Miles have already been taken.)

I guess we'll see what happens.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: