Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award $75 expedite / close-in processing fee (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA: $75 Expedite Ticketing Fee for awards ticketed within 21 days of travel
(Does not apply to AAdvantage elite status holders)

American Airlines charges a $75 "expedite (ticketing) fee" for awards that are less than 21 days from booking (waived for AAdvantage elite members using miles from their own account - but it may vary for awards for others; some report being charged, others not).

There used to be a workaround "loophole"- book for over 21 days out, then change to a closer date. This loophole was closed February 16, 2012, and there is no known way of avoiding this fee for those required to pay it.

AAdvantage Award Processing Charges
Ticketing less than 21 days prior to departure $75
(Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® and
AAdvantage Gold® (and Platinum Pro, Concierge Key EP) members using miles from their account)
Waivers for ticketing and airport purchase fees, less than 21 day from purchase travel and redeposit fee do not normally extend to those using their miles to purchase awards for non-status flyers (though this seems to vary, according to members' experiences)..

See aa.com awards booking page (as of 22 Mar 2016)here.

Print Wikipost

AA award $75 expedite / close-in processing fee (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I would think AA will do away with this fee soon to match UA
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by chix
I would think AA will do away with this fee soon to match UA
​​​​​​

i think the majority would actually prefer that they didnt
Old May 19, 2019, 1:47 am
formerly smoaky

If I have a reward flight booked 22 days out (and hence no close-in fee) but then later make a change to the flight (it's a domestic one way w/ a connection) while keeping the same departure and arrival airport, in what scenarios -- if any -- would I then incur the fee? What if I keep the date the same but switch the connecting flights on that day? What if I move the day entirely (possibly to a date that will be outside the 21 day window at the time of the change)?

Thanks.
Old May 19, 2019, 2:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by smoaky
If I have a reward flight booked 22 days out (and hence no close-in fee) but then later make a change to the flight (it's a domestic one way w/ a connection) while keeping the same departure and arrival airport, in what scenarios -- if any -- would I then incur the fee? What if I keep the date the same but switch the connecting flights on that day? What if I move the day entirely (possibly to a date that will be outside the 21 day window at the time of the change)?

Thanks.
You will incur the $75 close in fee if you make a change to the date to bring it to an earlier date to the current date

If you change to a later date, no issue at all

If you book for 22 days time, then in 21 days time change it to be 2 days later - no close in processing fee
Old May 19, 2019, 2:09 am
formerly smoaky

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You will incur the $75 close in fee if you make a change to the date to bring it to an earlier date to the current date

If you change to a later date, no issue at all

If you book for 22 days time, then in 21 days time change it to be 2 days later - no close in processing fee
Got it, thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Fee will be going away in coming months:
Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Fee will be going away in coming months:
https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1...377665538?s=20
Hmmm... I'm unsure if this is a good thing or a bad thing...

It seems these days AA doesn't "giveth" without a counter balancing "taketh"

Regards
GUWonder, wrp96, no1cub17 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by scubadu
Hmmm... I'm unsure if this is a good thing or a bad thing...

It seems these days AA doesn't "giveth" without a counter balancing "taketh"

Regards
This change will take place at the same time/slightly in-advance-of a bunch of other evolving changes (including updating the rules for changing an award tickets,) and, obviously the further phase-in of dynamic pricing of awards (which will take a while to fully phase in, especially for premium awards) SO, it's a lot of stuff.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
This change will take place at the same time/slightly in-advance-of a bunch of other evolving changes (including updating the rules for changing an award tickets,) and, obviously the further phase-in of dynamic pricing of awards (which will take a while to fully phase in, especially for premium awards) SO, it's a lot of stuff.
Thanks Jon, always appreciate the insight.

Regards
JonNYC likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
(including updating the rules for changing an award tickets,)
Negative I assume?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:44 am

It’s easy to miss that this is a de facto devaluation of ExecPlat. And so AA continues the dilution of their elite tiers.

Correction - I just realized that the fees are waived for all elites (gold and higher) so it's not a devaluation of ExecPlat, but all AA elites generally.

They might as well just collapse Plat, PlatPro, and ExecPlat into a single Platinum tier. Imagine how much they could save on marketing and collateral (god, I hope Parker doesn’t read this.)

Last edited by SouthernCross; Jul 28, 2019 at 12:01 pm
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:24 pm

I am 15 days out from departure. Going from one world business to first ticket. No status. Should the $75 fee apply? I booked the original business ticket outside 21 days.

Last edited by bmchris; Sep 25, 2019 at 8:57 pm
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:51 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bmchris
I am 15 days out from departure. Going from one world business to first ticket. No status. Should the $75 fee apply? I booked the original business ticket outside 21 days.
I'm not an expert in this but assuming you have a FF business ticket and are talking about upgrading it to a FF first class ticket, I believe others have said the answer is no.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:39 pm

Is it still the case that if I book a ticket and then cancel it, the fee doesn't get refunded?
Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Is it still the case that if I book a ticket and then cancel it, the fee doesn't get refunded?
Corrent - the fee is for making the booking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.