Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: First Class Check-in London Heathrow LHR, formerly Premium / Flagship

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
LHR / London Heathrow International Airport Terminal 3 AA First Class / Flagship Check-In

American Airlines Flagship First Check-in has moved and now operates in a facility shared with British Airways in Terminal 3, Zone D, effective 27 Nov 2019. Use rules now conform to usual Flagship First Check-in rules, so this thread will be archived.

For the current thread, please see GUIDE: AA Flagship Check-In at JFK, LAX, LHR, MIA, ORD (rev) — link

(The First Class Check-In facility was originally situated outside Terminal 3 in Zone H. This facility was previously called Flagship Check-in, then Premium Check-in, before being rebranded in late 2016 to First Class Check-in. It then moved from Zone H to Zone B 12 Jul 2017.)

Once you have completed your check-in process, you will progress through to the expedited security lane which offers easy access through airport security check points.

The Zone B Flagship First Class Check-In position is available for:
  • First Class customers travelling on American Airlines (Business customers previously had access but this has gone away)
  • ConciergeKey members
  • Five Star Service customers
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum or oneworld Emerald customers
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: First Class Check-in London Heathrow LHR, formerly Premium / Flagship

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:32 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I'd be surprised if the Check-in formerly known as Park Avenue stays open to EXPs and J pax much longer… Seems like they would want all of them to work the same way eventually.

On the other hand, is a shortcut to security screening a feature of all other Flagship Check-in locations? Maybe that will keep LHR from changing… I don't see how they could build that kind of facility at T3 without a huge amount of work.

I liked Park Avenue much better, because (1) you could stop the car right in front of the door, (2) the doorman would help with your bags, and (3) you could take the lift up to the bridge and come out close to Fast Track, without ever having to enter the scrum downstairs.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I'll be traveling to London soon. First time there, so I don't know anything about LHR and what is where in relationship to other things. I see a lot of talk about how convenient the Flagship Check-in really is.

When departing London, I'll be arriving via the Heathrow Express. Is Flagship Checkin check-in convenient? I really don't want to do a lot of extra walking just to save a few minutes checking in. I will have bags to check. I am EXP and flying in J LHR-DFR.

What sayeth the FlyerTalkers? Use the Flagship ? I kinda want to, just because I can. But if it's a hassle, I can mingle with the others. I'm used to it.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA
Flagship Check-in LHR

When you take the heathrow express you end up having to take the elevator or escalator that eventually empties you into the t3 courtyard for airline checkins. From here you can walk down to fll or use normal depending on status and class of service. Virgin Atlantic checkin is the closest unfort...
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I know you said you'll be on the HEX, but for the Tube, Flagship Check-in is probably more convenient as you're already outside.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:40 pm

Looking at the maps, it seems the Tube and Heathrow Express and Heathrow Connect all come together in the same place with the busses. From there, it appears you exit from that area into a covered area, outside, in front of the terminal. From there, the Flagship Checkin is to the right, all the way at the end. And it appears if it's in a separate building.

Do I have that right? Looking at the maps, it seems the normal checkin for AA is not too far away.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Looking at the maps, it seems the Tube and Heathrow Express and Heathrow Connect all come together in the same place with the busses. From there, it appears you exit from that area into a covered area, outside, in front of the terminal. From there, the Flagship Checkin is to the right, all the way at the end. And it appears if it's in a separate building.

Do I have that right? Looking at the maps, it seems the normal checkin for AA is not too far away.
Yes, you have that right. Normal AA check-in and Flagship Check-in are within 15 seconds' walk of each other. If you follow the signs for Terminal 3 departures from the buses, HEX or tube, you will eventually find yourself outside in front of T3. And if you arrive by car, you also will be outside. So, you end up outside regardless of which of those transport methods you use (there is a shortcut -- formerly the standard route -- from the bus / HEX / tube that comes out inside T3 by the VS desks, but I think it's marked "do not enter" and you have to know your way in advance).

Here's how I decide whether or not to use Flagship Check-in or regular F check-in:
  1. Do I want to try for an IAU? If so, the only place they are offered (in my experience) is at Flagship Check-in, so I go to Flagship Check-in.
  2. Is there a queue at Flagship Check-in? If so, I go inside to normal F check-in.
  3. If the queue at normal F check-in is even longer, then I go back outside to Flagship Check-in.
I hope that helps
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:16 am

That helps a lot. Now that I noticed the photo in the Wiki at the top of this thread, I know what to look for. Of course, I'll probably just proceed directly to the Flagship Check-in, as it seems it's equally convenient. Maybe only if there is a huge queue would I try the main checkin. FWIW, this will be on a Monday morning for AA 51 (LHR-DFW) which is a 9:45 AM departure.

Once I checkin and get boarding passes, do I have to go back outside to get to security? I assume "elite" or FastTrack security is well signed and easy to find? I'll ask about lounge access in the appropriate thread.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Once I checkin and get boarding passes, do I have to go back outside to get to security? I assume "elite" or FastTrack security is well signed and easy to find? I'll ask about lounge access in the appropriate thread.
No prob! Yes, after checking in, you have to go back outside and then into the "normal" terminal and make your way upstairs and then look for the Fast Tack signs (easy to find). I suppose this might mean that using regular F check-in is slightly quicker, all things being equal.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:14 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
No prob! Yes, after checking in, you have to go back outside and then into the "normal" terminal and make your way upstairs and then look for the Fast Tack signs (easy to find). I suppose this might mean that using regular F check-in is slightly quicker, all things being equal.
Also please note that just because it says "Fast Track" security, that option is not necessarily faster. You'll pass all the other security checkpoints on your way to the very LAST one (Fast Track). If you see a short queue (hmmm, good luck with THAT on a Monday morning), join the short queue before it grows.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I've always had good luck at T3 fast track security, and I would definitely suggest it. Furthermore, I think SquareDanceGuy may not have been to T3 in a while, as you actually will walk by the Fast Track entrance before getting to general security; whether you use Flagship Check-in or normal check-in, you'll go up the escalators inside the terminal and when you get to the top you turn right--the first security entrance will be fast track, which EXP, F and J passengers are all entitled to, and after that is regular security.

I also would rather wait for one or two parties in front of me at Flagship Check-in than go into the madhouse that is T3 check-in inside the terminal. At least at the Flagship Check-in hut it's relatively quiet and not frantic, while inside I instantly am reminded of the stress most people equate with intercontinental air travel. Maybe I'm overstating it a bit, but I always use Flagship Check-in and am happy to do it.

As a quick reminder, the check-in agents will usually tell you how to find the AA lounge. Smile, nod, and forget their instructions; use the BA or CX lounges instead.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:17 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Thanks for this info, very helpful. The last time I departed Heathrow we definitely walked PAST all the other security checkpoints to get to Fast Track. Perhaps we went up a different escalator.

My viewpoint on "Fast Track doesn't necessarily mean Fast" could be based on the fact that at EVERY airport, EXP spouse and I get into two different queues. The first one to an AAgent motions for the second one to come on over. For years, the First Class queue was almost always faster. Then we went through an era when it was a 50-50 tossup. Nowadays, the coach line is almost always faster than the FC line.
Originally Posted by Microwave
I've always had good luck at T3 fast track security, and I would definitely suggest it. Furthermore, I think SquareDanceGuy may not have been to T3 in a while, as you actually will walk by the Fast Track entrance before getting to general security; whether you use Flagship Check-in or normal check-in, you'll go up the escalators inside the terminal and when you get to the top you turn right--the first security entrance will be fast track, which EXP, F and J passengers are all entitled to, and after that is regular security.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Thanks for this info, very helpful. The last time I departed Heathrow we definitely walked PAST all the other security checkpoints to get to Fast Track. Perhaps we went up a different escalator.
A year or two ago AA moved from one end of the T3 check-in hall to the other, so if you checked in inside before the move then you definitely would have gone past standard security to reach fast track. At that time the AA check-in zone was as far as it could be from Flagship Check-in, but now it's right inside the door from Flagship Check-in. Perhaps that is the difference?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:48 am

A year or two ago AA moved from one end of the T3 check-in hall to the other, so if you checked in inside before the move then you definitely would have gone past standard security to reach fast track. At that time the AA check-in zone was as far as it could be from Flagship Check-in, but now it's right inside the door from Flagship Check-in. Perhaps that is the difference?
Yes, that's definitely different. The last time I checked in at T3 indoors, AA was in the far back corner.

Now that they have a better location for check-in, I wonder if their actual departure gates are still the furthest gates from the lounges?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Now that they have a better location for check-in, I wonder if their actual departure gates are still the furthest gates from the lounges?
Departure gates are usually determined when they see the manifest; if my name is on it, you can bet your bottom dollar it'll be gate 40 or 42.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Departure gates are usually determined when they see the manifest; if my name is on it, you can bet your bottom dollar it'll be gate 40 or 42.
+1! Before we land, I usually ask the FA to ask the captain for a mid 20's arrival gate. They have a good laugh. On more than one occasion, we have spent a little too much time in the BA F lounge, which led to a very aerobic and sobering dash to the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.