Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The AA (Legacy US Airways) Airbus Industrie A330-200

AA announced retirement of the A330-200 in the Oct 2020 earnings report.

Status of reconfiguration
N279AY - NEW
N280AY - NEW
N281AY - NEW
N282AY - NEW
N283AY - NEW
N284AY - NEW
N285AY - NEW
N286AY - NEW
N287AY - NEW
N288AY - NEW
N289AY - NEW
N290AY - NEW
N291AY - NEW
N292AY - NEW
N293AY - NEW
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

NOTE: The 15 A330-200 (with Rolls Royce Trent 700 engines) are being retained and updated. (The nine Pratt & Whitney equipped A330-300s have been scheduled for retirement (return to lessor at lease end) by late 2018 due to poor "fit" in the AA fleet (link).) The A330-200s will continue, however, and the launch of the retrofitted A330-200 will see
  • 20 Zodiac "Envoy" type Business seats in a 1-2-1 layout (1 blocked for pilot rest)
  • 21 Premium Economy (B/E Aerospace) seats in a 2-3-2 layout
  • 50 Main Cabin Extra seats (same seats as Y, just greater seat pitch) 2-4-2 (2 blocked for customers requiring customer assistance)
  • Main Cabin / Economy seats also 2-4-2
  • Ku band satellite based Panasonic WiFi
  • Individual personal entertainment screens for every seat
  • Seat power
  • Noise reduction headsets - Bose in Business, others for Premium Economy

Premium Economy and extended Main Cabin Extra has been installed on the A330-200 fleet. Until 15 Jan 2018, PE seats were available to Elites as MCE on those aircraft with PE; PE are available for sale on that date.

Link to A330-200 PE and MCE additions article on The Points Guy

Link to Combined AA Fleet page

Link to (non-AA) American Fleet Site, A330-200 page.

For the specific thread about the Zodiac "Envoy" Business seat, please see AA A330 "Envoy" Lie Flat All Aisle Access Business Seats (master thread)

Also see the older, archived thread on Envoy seating on the A330: A330-200 Envoy Suites

Link to Seatguru for AA A330-200

Envoy / Business (20):
* Rows 1 to 7, 4 across, private "suites", all aisle access
* Seats A and H have windows and angle out toward windows
* Seats C and F are both in the middle, angle in toward center (no windows)
* In seat entertainment with personally selectable programming
* Bose noise reduction headsets on long-haul International flights
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Premium Economy (21):
* Rows 6, 7 and 8 in 2-3-2 layout
* Seat pitch 38"
* Seat width 18.5"
* Non-Bose noise reduction headsets on longhaul
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Main Cabin Extra (54):
* Bulkhead and Exit seats
* Others seem to be in non-standard layout
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

Economy (152):
* Seat pitch 31-32"
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Exits at row 23
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

New Livery (AA-style) of the A330-300: A333 in New Livery

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Airbus A330-200 / 332 [master thread]

Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:13 am

The Wiki states that Econ has Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA ports installed. Are we sure this is correct. I was under the impression that economy only has USB ports? Thanks!

The Wikipost is "community property", a handy place to summarize information that is maintained and updated by the membership. (Any signed in member with 90 days and 90 posts can edit the Wikipost). If that's incorrect, I hope someone who has experienced flying Economy in the A330-200 will update the information displayed.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 26, 2017 at 9:26 am
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:02 pm

Folks, we (me, wife, two year old) are traveling next month CLT-CDG on one of these planes. I am PLT, so I have selected 3 seats together in row 6. I'm not really worried about someone else joining us, but I am wondering whether row 6 is actually all that comfortable, given its MCE status but also the fact that the tray tables are in the arm rests. Any thoughts?! Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by compson
Folks, we (me, wife, two year old) are traveling next month CLT-CDG on one of these planes. I am PLT, so I have selected 3 seats together in row 6. I'm not really worried about someone else joining us, but I am wondering whether row 6 is actually all that comfortable, given its MCE status but also the fact that the tray tables are in the arm rests. Any thoughts?! Thanks!
Personally, I think you've made an excellent choice.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by compson
Our preference is to get a row with movable armrests.

My three-year-old likes to sprawl across the seats and sleeps better like that. Also, if you're bringing an airplane-approved car seat with you, it's more difficult to get it into the bulkhead seats than ones with moveable armrests. (We quite like flying with the car seat: the toddler sleeps better with the support. But we only fly with the car seat if we're driving at the destination, which we typically don't do in Europe.) So I'd go with one of the rows of 4 with movable armrests in the center of the A330. We've gotten four seats amongst the three of us most of the time on PHL-Europe flights. I even got a row of 4 to myself on a Sunday night PHL-CDG flight last month (traveling without the family), in one of the premium rows -- 8 or 9. Dunno what the loads on the CLT-Europe ones are.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
Our preference is to get a row with movable armrests.

My three-year-old likes to sprawl across the seats and sleeps better like that. Also, if you're bringing an airplane-approved car seat with you, it's more difficult to get it into the bulkhead seats than ones with moveable armrests. (We quite like flying with the car seat: the toddler sleeps better with the support. But we only fly with the car seat if we're driving at the destination, which we typically don't do in Europe.) So I'd go with one of the rows of 4 with movable armrests in the center of the A330. We've gotten four seats amongst the three of us most of the time on PHL-Europe flights. I even got a row of 4 to myself on a Sunday night PHL-CDG flight last month (traveling without the family), in one of the premium rows -- 8 or 9. Dunno what the loads on the CLT-Europe ones are.
Thanks. The plane looks to be *very* empty. I guess we are going after everybody is back in school. We aren't taking the car seat (our two year old is 45"). Do the arm rests go up on this plane? I flew an A330-200 on Finnair once and had a row of 4 to myself, but the arm rests only went up half way. Such a bummer.

I think what we will do is keep our current seats and then reevaluate 24 hours out. I'm 6'4", so leg room is a thing.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Assuming those three seats are in the middle, I'd say you should move out of row 6.

The arm rests do not move.

The bulkhead is close enough that it will bother you at 6'4".

Even on a light-load plane, there will eventually be some young gentleman (or two) who will want to execute a U-turn from one aisle to the next by stepping over you and your family.

If the load looks light, I'd probably go with something like 7C (good leg stretch underneath seat in front of you), 7F (that way you'll probably find 7D and 7E stay free), and 8F (so you have another row with partial "dibs" in case it really does become a stretch-out affair).
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
A332 crew rest q?

This will probably be quickly answered and merged; do the pilots get business class seats if available to use as crew rest on the a332 or do they have their own bunks?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Yes they take a business class seat for crew rest on the A332
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Yes they take a business class seat for crew rest on the A332
I thought the 332s (not the 333s) came with a pilot crew rest cubicle?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I thought the 332s (not the 333s) came with a pilot crew rest cubicle?
All I know is AA only sells and authorizes to 19 on the A332. So I am more or less assuming. I seem to recall one of the pilots come out and sit at 5A to eat and relax for an hour last time I flew J on A332, but I could be confusing it with another trip possibly. Now I am second guessing myself and thinking that was my MIA-BCN on the non refurbed 777. Those trips are blurring together.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by colpuck
This will probably be quickly answered and merged; do the pilots get business class seats if available to use as crew rest on the a332 or do they have their own bunks?
Never seen an actual pilot crew rest area on the AA A332; they block 1 J seat for this reason.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Related question: Is there a minimum flight time for which the cockpit crew is authorized rest during flight? IOW, for a PHL-LHR flight the flight time is relatively short, while a PHL-ATH flight is much longer. Do the cockpit crew get to rest on both?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Related question: Is there a minimum flight time for which the cockpit crew is authorized rest during flight? IOW, for a PHL-LHR flight the flight time is relatively short, while a PHL-ATH flight is much longer. Do the cockpit crew get to rest on both?
If there is a third pilot yes. It all depends on the AA pilot contract.

I appreciate the quick responses. I see that there are 20 seats with only 19 available for sale.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Originally Posted by fly747first
Never seen an actual pilot crew rest area on the AA A332; they block 1 J seat for this reason.

There is a pilot rest compartment on the A332s containing two bunks, but if I'm not mistaken due to the lack of a similar setup on the A333s, the LUS 330 pilots continue to get a J seat for crew rest on flights with an IRO.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:22 am

The 332 has a pilot crew rest just behind the cockpit, where the forward galley would be.

The 333 does not have a rest area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.