Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:11 am

Got mine in an hour before midnight! $600 total for 3 to Florida this December from SFO.

Has anyone here been successful adding a business extraa number to the reservation? I've usually been able to call in to add the Business Extraa number when I don't book directly. No dice yesterday when I tried, but may have just been my agent who seemed a little clueless.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
Has anyone here been successful adding a business extraa number to the reservation?
You just call the Meeting Services and give them your PNR and BE#?

I've usually been requesting credit afterwards, and that can take forever.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:45 pm

I checked the fare basis for all my tickets and it appears they all have a published fare basis in a normal booking code, but the primary and the secondary passengers have /BARC appended. Rules for these fares do not appear anywhere, so I still have no idea what sort of miles any of the passengers will earn, other than that the certificate says miles will be earned for eligible fares. :-/
Old Oct 16, 2015, 11:18 am

For anyone who forgot to mail the certificate in, or had issues mailing it in (I'm in that boat); I called American twice and they said they're honoring the certificates even if they weren't mailed, so if you have been ticketed, then you're good to go.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:28 pm

Has anyone been successful splitting PNR of late? I've seen numerous reports of this being done earlier in the thread.I booked on the 12th of October and been ticketed.However ,three calls to American have been unsuccessful in splitting PNR.Every time the agent routes me to meeting services where they explain that since it is a companion ticket,they cannot split PNR. The main ticket holder will be unable to fly the return and I am worried that they may not allow us (the 2 companions) to fly without him if we continue on the same PNR.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by schilpa
Has anyone been successful splitting PNR of late?
I did just last week to have my upgrades clear.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
I guess then it must be because of elite status.we have no status with American .i just called again and was told by another agent that she can't touch the reservation unless we had at least gold status.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by emma dog
This sounds promising but we would love to hear more details. Dear emma dog if you have some time would you mind please providing more details about your experience and how you got them to split the PNR and how many of you got upgraded?

I am traveling with my family to LAS from PHL and all of us are preferred. In the past when making this trip using the companion certificate we could all get upgraded and now we are hearing we cannot do sticker upgrades with the certificate. Did you find the way around this?

Thanks in advance for sharing if you are able!
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:23 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by schilpa
Has anyone been successful splitting PNR of late? I've seen numerous reports of this being done earlier in the thread.I booked on the 12th of October and been ticketed.
I booked Oct 5, also dealing with the Meeting Services people. The agent split the ticket during that conversation in order to add me to the upgrade queue.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:34 pm

I split the AA PNR for miles and copay (for my wife) about a month ago. It's interesting that both AA PNRs still have a reference to the same US Airways PNR on the AA website, even after the merger.

I wonder if anyone has successfully done a SDC Flight Change with the non main PNR once split? I'm looking to potentially switch my wife's flight to a later one.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 4:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Buffaloflyer
I am traveling with my family to LAS from PHL and all of us are preferred. In the past when making this trip using the companion certificate we could all get upgraded and now we are hearing we cannot do sticker upgrades with the certificate. Did you find the way around this?
AA is saying the companion can't be upgraded when people call in; I'm not convinced that you can't upgrade with stickers since aa.com appears to allows you to request one, at least if you're with one companion. I'm traveling on Thursday night with a friend (Gold) using a companion cert and based on whether we appear on the upgrade list I should be able to confirm or deny whether stickers work.

Last edited by fordan; Oct 21, 2015 at 5:11 am
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:35 am
Community Director Emerita

The agent split my record, saying that she needed to do so before requesting upgrades for me. Once that was done, there was no ability to request upgrades for my companion, only me.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Plat
Traveling on the certificate I was able to upgrade myself and one companion with stickers. The companion was also elite, so this may not be a useful data point for those traveling with a non-status companion. However, I used my own stickers for both of us, so that might give some hope. Unlike some of the other reports above, I was able to request online. The itin was booked several months ago and the reservation was migrated from US to AA during the drain down.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Update on LUS Chairman's Certificates

I'll let JDiver figure out if this needs to be merged. As an FYI for those LUS people who were Chairman's Preferred in 2014 but did not become EP in 2015. If you booked your Chairmans certificate for travel post 10/17/15, american consider that to be an SWU and you do not need to use stickers or a miles + copay to upgrade the domestic legs of the trip. Just call American with the record locator and they should handle getting everything upgraded.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Reporting back on upgrades using the companion cert:

On our outbound leg, I appeared on the upgrade list, my companion did not. Spoke with the agent at check-in, and they believed it was because my companion did not have any stickers in his account (he's AA Gold from a Chairman's Preferred Special Dividends upgrade). When I checked both of us in at the kiosk he wasn't prompted to buy stickers, but when he went back and checked in solo he was offered the chance to buy (and did so).

Then he was on the upgrade list, but not associated with my status but his own and far down the list. Dug into it at the lounge with the agent there, but since there was only one F seat not checked in, didn't seem worth fighting too much about. I ended up getting the remaining seat and companion flew in the back.

Sometime during this process the PNR apparently got split since I didn't recognize it and when I logged in, no longer saw my companion. Worked out on the way home anyways since we both got our upgrades (and the LAX-PHL flight even went out with one first class seat empty).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.