FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1179907-archive-lus-us-companion-certificates-use-31-dec-2015-a.html)

DCdeacon Jul 19, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm still not clear at all on how the companion certificate is handled, despite reading every post in this thread. If I apply for the card today (as I'm considering doing), and I get the companion certificate in a couple months...how do the dates for that work? It sounds like, from several posts, that depending on what time of year you apply for the card and when you get your certificates, that your window for the certs being valid could be really short. Is that correct (because if so, that's really stupid, and hard to believe!)

Are they not just valid on a rolling-year basis, meaning they're valid for a year from when I receive them (no matter when my account anniversary is)?

Since it's already the second half of the year, and I may not get the certs until Q4 if I apply now, do I need to wait until early next year (or some other time in the year) to apply for the card--does it matter when you apply for it? Would appreciate any clarification around these points, thanks!

kudzu Jul 20, 2012 12:20 am

Originally Posted by DCdeacon (Post 18965923)
...Are they not just valid on a rolling-year basis, meaning they're valid for a year from when I receive them (no matter when my account anniversary is)? ...

Each certificate will have dates listed, e.g.
NOT VALID BEFORE 8/01/2012
BOOK BY 12/31/2012
TRAVEL BY 5/30/2013

(relying on memory, as I'm traveling)

Shorter validity than a rolling year - more like 6 months to book, and more months to complete travel.

When you apply matters only if you have specific dates in mind (e.g. around Thanksgiving) for use of the certs; if so, applying in, say, January, with the shorter validity time frame (few companions except dependents can pin down their travel dates months in advance :)) may not be the best idea.

IADCAflyer Jul 20, 2012 5:20 am

I cannot imagine that they would legitimately give you 30 or 45 days to use a companion certificate. None of mine are like that.

I've got my USDM cert in front of me for a card that has a May anniversary date...

NOT VALID BEFORE 5/01/2012
BOOK BY 01/31/2013
TRAVEL BY 4/30/2013

DCdeacon Jul 20, 2012 6:01 am

Originally Posted by ITRADE (Post 18967609)
I cannot imagine that they would legitimately give you 30 or 45 days to use a companion certificate. None of mine are like that.

I've got my USDM cert in front of me for a card that has a May anniversary date...

NOT VALID BEFORE 5/01/2012
BOOK BY 01/31/2013
TRAVEL BY 4/30/2013

This makes sense to me. This is giving you a full year...8 months to book, another 4 on top of that to fly if need be, but the combined period takes you all the way until your next certificate date.

idman3 Jul 23, 2012 2:28 pm

I have two questions and I'm hoping that I can get some help. Thanks in advance!

First, when should I expect these vouchers? I haven't seen them in the mail yet, I got the card mid july 2011. Is there a number to call if I don't recieve my voucher?

Second questions is can I add a companion ticket to a flight which I already booked or do I have to purchase both at the same time?

Thanks,

trek87 Jul 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by idman3 (Post 18987447)
I have two questions and I'm hoping that I can get some help. Thanks in advance!

First, when should I expect these vouchers? I haven't seen them in the mail yet, I got the card mid july 2011. Is there a number to call if I don't recieve my voucher?

If you have the World MC, you should have received a welcome packet within a few weeks of opening your account containing a companion certificate. You should receive another one around your anniversary date (i.e., now). I would definitely call the # on the back of your CC to find out what's going on. As for your anniversary packet, it might be too early to have received it yet. I received mine shortly before my statement with the annual fee closed.

Originally Posted by idman3 (Post 18987447)
Second questions is can I add a companion ticket to a flight which I already booked or do I have to purchase both at the same time?

You must purchase both tickets at the same time according to the T&Cs.

idman3 Jul 23, 2012 3:02 pm

You must purchase both tickets at the same time according to the T&Cs.[/QUOTE]

So if I'm forced to use an online service to book my work flights, there's no option to add a companion flight then. Has anyone else had this issue?

rxralph Jul 23, 2012 3:24 pm

I have not seen this question

If I book a fare with a $99 companion and get ticketed, can I go back and then and use my earned miles to up grade us both to first? If that would work, since we are on the same PNR could I just use enough miles for my ticket and have my companion upgraded automatically?

ralph

trek87 Jul 23, 2012 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by rxralph (Post 18987820)
If I book a fare with a $99 companion and get ticketed, can I go back and then and use my earned miles to up grade us both to first? If that would work, since we are on the same PNR could I just use enough miles for my ticket and have my companion upgraded automatically?

ralph

The T&Cs do not address upgrades with miles specifically. Your companion would not be upgraded automatically unless you are requesting a Preferred Upgrade and you both clear together (which is allowed according to the T&Cs). You can always call and ask.

jmk2135 Aug 8, 2012 1:32 pm

I booked a RT DCA-PDX with my companion ticket paid for with my credit card. I am a US Silver and my companion is a US CP. My understanding is that the companion tickets get preferred upgrades normally as if they were two purchased tickets on the same PNR. I think this means that my companion's CP status would cause both of us to get upgraded at the 7 day mark (assuming that space exists). Is this correct? Also, would changing my US DM# to my UA MP# cause the upgrade not to occur?

Thanks!

apeortdz Aug 8, 2012 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by jmk2135 (Post 19083816)
I booked a RT DCA-PDX with my companion ticket paid for with my credit card. I am a US Silver and my companion is a US CP. My understanding is that the companion tickets get preferred upgrades normally as if they were two purchased tickets on the same PNR. I think this means that my companion's CP status would cause both of us to get upgraded at the 7 day mark (assuming that space exists). Is this correct? Also, would changing my US DM# to my UA MP# cause the upgrade not to occur?

Thanks!

The CP status will rule.

Biggie Fries Aug 8, 2012 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by jmk2135 (Post 19083816)

Thanks!

Need to separate the issues:

Think of a companion ticket as just a special price on a ticket. Has no independent effect on upgrades.

The fact that you and your companion are on the same PNR means that you will be treated as a pair of CPs (with your companion's status in terms of mileage flown) from the standpoint of upgrading. At T-7, your companion will get processed for possible upgrade. If you leave your DM number in the system, you'll both get notification of whether you (both -- it's all or nothing) got upgraded or not. (Don't be surprised if there is no upgrade at T-7; TC upgrades tend not to clear, even for CPs, before T-4.)

I do not think that changing from DM (US) to MP (UA) for mileage credit will change anything except that you (singular) may no longer get notified if and when the upgrade occurs.

al613 Aug 9, 2012 11:18 am

Anyone was able to book open jaw with it?

Greysword Sep 7, 2012 2:04 pm

Flyer Talk is awesome again!

I finally found a list of the actual blackout dates, albeit a year+ old, but still great for reference!

The post with the info is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...astercard.html

...in case you need it.

Thanks Guy!

dovergator Sep 10, 2012 8:54 am

Do all segments of the companion ticket itinerary need to be on US Air metal? Or can I fly United codeshare flights as well?