Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by cactus47
If I buy a "preferred upgrade" ticket, can I use a companion pass with that? What happens to the companion, will she be back in economy or would she get the upgrade too (she's also preferred)? I think I know the answer, but a guy can always dream, right?
Any coach ticket purchased using the CC should be eligible for a preferred upgrade. My cert says:

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades -- Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual; accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by dukeman
Any coach ticket purchased using the CC should be eligible for a preferred upgrade. My cert says:

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades -- Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual; accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.
Maybe I wasn't specific enough. I'm actually talking about when you buy the "Preferred Upgrade" ticket -- i.e., when you're on the usairways.com site, you choose "Preferred Upgrade" from the class of service pull-down menu (where you choose coach, first, etc. It's the type of ticket that prices out as a coach ticket but essentially gives you an instant upgrade to F, rather than waiting for the upgrade window to come around.

So I'm wondering whether my companion on the companion pass would get an instant upgrade also if I use a companion pass when buying a preferred upgrade ticket.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by dancergirlmom
So...I've seen a couple of people ask this - but am wondering if anyone has actually tried it and (hopefully) done it successfully. We received our annual companion certificate - and it's in my husband's name, as he's the primary cardholder. I need to take my two daughters to a cheerleading competition. Is there any way for me to use the companion certificate to book my ticket and then my two daughters at $99 a piece - since my husband isn't able to take them? One of the USAir credit cards is in my name, but I'm not the "primary". Called Barclays and they won't reissue it in my name. Are we out of luck? Has anyone successfully tried booking it for someone else in the family?
When I specifically asked, I was told the person named needed to be on the itinerary. She did ask for my name and went to my account when I booked.

In theory you could try and might be able to get it booked, but, in the case of IRROPPS you could hit an additional snag.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
...So I'm wondering whether my companion on the companion pass would get an instant upgrade also if I use a companion pass when buying a preferred upgrade ticket.
Y/B fares are the ones eligible for "instant" Preferred upgrades at booking. When you call to book with a Companion Cert and specify a Y or B fare for yourself, your companion is also booked in the same fare class (in fact it's mandatory under the rules).

Since both of you are Preferred, you'd both be eligible for "instant" upgrades if "P" upgrade fare bucket availability exists.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Maybe I wasn't specific enough. I'm actually talking about when you buy the "Preferred Upgrade" ticket -- i.e., when you're on the usairways.com site, you choose "Preferred Upgrade" from the class of service pull-down menu (where you choose coach, first, etc. It's the type of ticket that prices out as a coach ticket but essentially gives you an instant upgrade to F, rather than waiting for the upgrade window to come around.

So I'm wondering whether my companion on the companion pass would get an instant upgrade also if I use a companion pass when buying a preferred upgrade ticket.
Also on the back of the cert under the section Other Important Restrictions it says: Minimum two-night stay required; maximum 30-day stay permitted. Blackout dates apply. In addition to the Certificate rules outlined herein, all terms and conditions associated with travel on US Airways apply including those associated with the fare class purchased. Rates are only applicable on qualifying tickets in certain fare classes in Coach. General standby restrictions of the qualifying fare apply.

Call and ask if you can purchase a Y or B fare to be eligible for the instant upgrade assuming there are upgrades available. You would also need 2 upgrade seats to be available in order for the upgrade to process as you would all be ticketed on 1 PNR. If you purchase 3 tickets (2 companions) you will need at least 3 upgrades available or you will be skipped. Presumably like other upgrades your PNR would be ranked at the highest status held within the party, just like regular Preferred upgrades.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by dukeman
Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades -- Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual; accrual in other airline programs not permitted.
Do they really enforce it? I want to credit to UA?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by al613
I have some friends that have (successfully) switched their USAIR number to United at the boarding gate and got the credit, but, I have heard of others have their seats/upgrades yanked and no mileage credit until switching the number back.

So my friends experience says is it is possible, but there can be consequences.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Interesting little hitch today. Booked a family of four to the Left Coast for a summer trip. Two seats available in a particular fare class. Booked the wife at the fare price - about $310 round trip - utilizing usairways.com.

Called to book my fare and the two companion fares. Was quoted $342. Agent claimed that there had to be three seats available at the lower price in order for me to get the $310 fare.

Thought that was odd given that the two companions are basically coming on utilizing a specialized SHARES code.

Anyone else see this happen before?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find a very clear answer.

If the credit card is under my name, does that mean that the revenue ticket ($250) has to be under my name (and the companion certificate can be for someone of my choosing)? Or does that mean that the companion certificate has to be under my name and the revenue ticket is under someone else's name?

I am thinking of applying for the card, and my husband travels a lot for work. My hope is that if I apply for the card, I can tag along during my husband's work travel where he gets his ticket paid for, and I can use the $99 certificate for me. Would this work? Or should he actually be the one who gets the card?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by m4rcla
...Or should he actually be the one who gets the card?
The "standard format" would be for your husband to get the card and be the principal traveler (> $250) with you as the companion ($99 +)

I suppose it's also OK the other way. When calling to book, agent would ask for number and name of travelers, and you'd just say", "My husband John Smith as the main traveler, and me as his companion, since his employer is reimbursing him for his ticket". Your CC statement will list ticket charges separately for easy reimbursement tally.

These certs have restrictions, as you know, e.g. booking 2 weeks in advance and 2 days minimum stay, blackout dates ,etc
Old Jul 6, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: MR PP, USAirways Platinum, DMS Premier, and SA Gold
Originally Posted by moxfulder1
My annual fee is charged late on, like in July. Thus, I won't get a new certificate until October?

This blows. . . I received a certificate last August, but it expires on Dec 31, 2010. So in the future, I essentially only have 3 months to use the companion certificate. What a silly system.
THIS!

My renewal fee comes mid-July. By the time I receive the certificate, I have no time to book reasonable travel, and the certificate expires before the spring/summer.

I need to talk to them about this...
Old Jul 6, 2012, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by ITRADE
...Anyone else see this happen before?
Happened to me today too.

4 in my traveling party. One booked separately for $374. Website still showed $374 for 1 pax when I called in to book, but was quoted $396 (same fare for 3 pax on website) + 2 companion fares.

Appears to be a recent change in pricing method ... this is also new to me.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by kudzu
Happened to me today too.

4 in my traveling party. One booked separately for $374. Website still showed $374 for 1 pax when I called in to book, but was quoted $396 (same fare for 3 pax on website) + 2 companion fares.

Appears to be a recent change in pricing method ... this is also new to me.
This isn't new. In the Terms and Conditions listed on the back of the certificates I have from previous years, it states "All passengers must be ticketed in the same fare class and travel together on the same itinerary."

I assume that this means that they will book you in the lowest fare class with availability that can cover the number of passengers traveling on the certificate. In your example above, it would seem that there weren't 3 seats available in the lower fare class so they kicked you guys up into a higher one.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by al613
I did this in April. Booked with my US Air FF# and then switched to my UA # on the website immediately after booking. Didn't have any problems at all and the miles promptly showed up in my UA account, but of course, YMMV since it's specifically not allowed in the T&C.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Got a question for you.

If I use the voucher, can I go to the airport and turn it for ticketing at the counter, or do I have to mail it in?

On UA's version with Chase, I could call them and make the reservation, then head over to BWI with the certificate and have them ticket it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.