Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by jeannepa
I know it's been discussed in this thread, but would like to get some additional elaboration.

I'm the cardholder and will book two companion tickets for my friends. I'll travel with them on the outbound trip, but won't take the return flight. I saw people suggesting splitting the PNR. When and what reason should I call US Airways to do it? If they denied the splitting request, does it mean my friends can't get on their return flight?

I'm considering checking in the return flight and not showing up. Is it possible that they'll be fine for the first lag but get the second lag cancelled?

Thanks!
They most likely won't even ask you a reason for splitting the reservation. If on the off chance they do, you can tell them it is for upgrade purposes.

While not a 100% lock, I am guessing you friends will have no problem flying the return leg without you (whether you split the reservation and/or check in or not). There hasn't been one report in this thread of anyone getting denied a flight when doing something like this.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by bevoinva
They most likely won't even ask you a reason for splitting the reservation. If on the off chance they do, you can tell them it is for upgrade purposes.

While not a 100% lock, I am guessing you friends will have no problem flying the return leg without you (whether you split the reservation and/or check in or not). There hasn't been one report in this thread of anyone getting denied a flight when doing something like this.
Cool! Thanks a lot for the explanation.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:24 am

Accruing miles on A3 if travelling on US Airways Companion

Originally Posted by thexfactor
My personal experience is that the primary member can earn miles in a partner program.

In fact, I added my TK FFN to the reservation, and then changed from TK to A3 after check in, and earned A3 miles.
OUCH - nervous reading certificate actually says you can only accrue miles on DIVIDEND miles programnd NOT on a partner airline. I need 5000 miles for *G on A3 and used a companion cert to book PHL-SLC next month, 5024 miles! I am primary on the certifcate and husband is the companion. I gave agent my A3 number on phone while booking and reservation reflects that (DIV miles # for husband) I really would like to get those 5024 miles credited. Any chance?? (Next month we reverse it and husband is primary while I am companion on a 3,000 mile trip, also showing my A3 #) Thanks you for any help or tips MEDSKIs
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:40 pm

You should be fine, IME.

On another note, I just got hit with my annual fee last month.

Anyone know how soon I can expect my companion cert?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I wonder if we'll be able to use these on AA metal next month.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
I wonder if we'll be able to use these on AA metal next month.
Next month? I would think the earliest would be April, and I wonder if the same restriction would be on them, would love to use it to Hawaii...
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:01 am

Programs: None
I'd be surprised if AA allowed a benefit for US FFs that AA FFs didn't get, or do AA FFs/cardholders get the equivalent of the companion certs?

Jim
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
I'd be surprised if AA allowed a benefit for US FFs that AA FFs didn't get, or do AA FFs/cardholders get the equivalent of the companion certs?

Jim
Jim you have a point, however, since US really took over AA, it would be up to Parker and Team. Also anyone, can sign up for Barclays US card. Again, I/m hoping we can use them on AA flights. So far Barclay's haven't said anything about the companion pass, and my new one is due in Feb and they are good for a year...
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:47 pm

Obviously, all I know about the DM credit cards is what I read here and there have been some posters based in Europe claiming that they can't get the Barclays card. So I assumed that it was the same on AA. The AA site says nothing about other card issuers than Citi unless you select a country from the little "International" list. Selecting the UK results in nothing but the MBNA cards - no mention of the Citi cards.

I would expect that the Barclays card would be good for at least another 1-2 years since US will still exist that long and the contract is with US, not AAL.

Jim
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, CC Gold, SPG Gold, AA Exec Platinum
Curious myself about the companion certificates, I have to book by May and travel by August.. Hopefully they can shed light on this.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:29 am

AA Number on US Airways Companion Ticket Flight

I called this morning to book a US Airways flight from PHL to LAS for 3 people using my companion certificate. The agent was unsure if I could use my AA number for that flight, considering the companion certificate is connected to my US Airways card and dividend miles.

However, when I logged in to check my reservation today it offered me the choice of which frequent flyer program to use. I'm hesitant to change anything because I feel like if I do the price will kick back or something weird will happen to the reservation.

Does anyone have experience putting a *A onto a companion ticket reservation? I feel like that might have had the same effect, but in theory this should be easier because they are 'supposed' to be a single airline.

Any thoughts??
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by NathanL104
I feel like that might have had the same effect, but in theory this should be easier because they are 'supposed' to be a single airline.

Any thoughts??
Only one - they aren't "supposed" to be a single airline for a while yet. It's more like 2 children of the same parents - there's still 2 children despite having the same parents. Today, that's where AA and US are - 2 individual subsidiaries of the same corporate parent (AAL>AA+US).

Jim
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:55 pm

Used my companion certificate this morning (Saving $814 dollars, NOT a bad deal at all!!!).

The agent said she was unsure if I could put my AA number in the reservation. The site will let me put my AA number in, but I'm not sure I want to for fear it may mess up the price/miles of the ticket.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond.
OP -were you able to book AA flights with the USAir companion certificate?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:58 am

AA Flights are not bookable with US Airways companion pass. I'm still unclear if you can add your AA # to a companion pass reservation after booking. The agent was definitely clear you have to book with your divided miles number or else the reservation won't take.

Don't know! It's a W fare for all 3 tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.