Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 12, 16, 1:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 22, 13, 12:29 am

US Airways Companion swap

I received my new card but it appears that I have to wait a few weeks before my companion certificates come by mail. I would like to book a flight this weekend for travel March 23 using one certificate.

1. Is March 23 a blackout date?
2. Would anyone with an expiring companion cert like to trade so I could use theirs now and send them one of my new ones when it arrives?

I'm in Los Angeles if you'd like to meet up, or we can try via phone.

Thanks,
Scott
Old Feb 22, 13, 4:36 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by smabat View Post
I received my new card but it appears that I have to wait a few weeks before my companion certificates come by mail. I would like to book a flight this weekend for travel March 23 using one certificate.

1. Is March 23 a blackout date?
2. Would anyone with an expiring companion cert like to trade so I could use theirs now and send them one of my new ones when it arrives?

I'm in Los Angeles if you'd like to meet up, or we can try via phone.

Thanks,
Scott
Unfortunately, the person whose name appears on the certificate must be traveling on the itinerary.
Old Feb 22, 13, 4:44 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
I've a bunch of certs I'd love to give away... unfortunately I can't
Old Feb 22, 13, 5:32 am

Programs: US Silver / AA Ruby, Hyatt & Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott & SPG Fools Gold
Originally Posted by smabat:20295240
I received my new card but it appears that I have to wait a few weeks before my companion certificates come by mail.
I just signed up for the card as well and received the certificate 4-5 days after I got the card.
Old Feb 22, 13, 11:12 am

Has there been any speculation about the prospects for this companion certificate surviving the US/AA merger?
Old Feb 23, 13, 3:13 pm

Programs: US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
I have got to believe that if USAirways did a cost analysis of this, they would figure out quickly that providing the means to handle these online would be the way to go. Works that way for Alaska Airlines, and it works well. That way USAirlines COULD charge for those who didn't use the online option.

Originally Posted by LM225 View Post
I can confirm -- I called to use it (before I was CP, so a phone fee would have applied otherwise) and was told there would be no phone fee charged as the certificate could not be used online.
Old Feb 26, 13, 12:16 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
I booked a trip for 3 yesterday using the companion certs, the res agent offered to split one passenger at the time of booking to preserve upgrade rights. I thought this was nice of him.
Old Mar 6, 13, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EP, DL PL, SPG & IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*, EC EE
I just got off the phone with Barclays. I told them I had misplaced my certificate and asked if they would send a replacement. They said yes. 2-4 weeks. I had been worried from what I had been reading that I was outta luck. Kudos to Barclays for not simply trying to profit from the probability that some percentage of cardholders would misplace their certs.

Last edited by micahdaniel; Mar 6, 13 at 7:36 pm Reason: can't spell
Old Mar 13, 13, 6:35 pm

Booked 2 tickets DCA-MCO-DCA for thanksgiving weekend (11/26-11/30) tonight using my CP. Phone agent was exceedingly nice. Made it very very clear that there would be no booking fee because the online system wasn't set up to allow use of CPs.

Somehow, the price also came out a couple dollars short of what I had expected...base fare was $301 + $45 in taxes/fees, so I was expecting $301 + $45 + $99 + $45 = $490, but I was quoted and charged only $466...not complaining!

Now to use my GF's CP...thinking Quebec City this fall...
Old Mar 14, 13, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Booked 2 tickets DCA-MCO-DCA for thanksgiving weekend (11/26-11/30) tonight using my CP. Phone agent was exceedingly nice. Made it very very clear that there would be no booking fee because the online system wasn't set up to allow use of CPs.

Somehow, the price also came out a couple dollars short of what I had expected...base fare was $301 + $45 in taxes/fees, so I was expecting $301 + $45 + $99 + $45 = $490, but I was quoted and charged only $466...not complaining!

Now to use my GF's CP...thinking Quebec City this fall...
I always have trouble trying to pre-calculate the cost. I think yours ended up being $325+$21+$99+$21=$466 because the taxes show up in some weird convoluted way on the website. Be happy with the unexpected savings! You can check your credit card authorizations tomorrow to see if that is how it came out.
Old Mar 14, 13, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz View Post
You can check your credit card authorizations tomorrow to see if that is how it came out.
It did so no complaints here!
Old Mar 19, 13, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Silver Status using Barclays Companion

Here is my question. I am a Silver Status using a Barclays 99.00 companion. I know the upgrades will only clear if there are two upgrades available. Flying BOS-CLT-LAS on 4/5 and LAS-DCA(redeye)-BOS on 4/8.

My friend is in an Exit Row already but I am not elgible as my arm is in a sling and I cannot sit due to a physical issue.

Can I call US Silver Line and see if they will split the reservation to uptick my chances of getting an upgrade which with my arm, I coudl really use.

If so, does this mean my friend will not get the first checked bag free as an aside?

Thanks in advance to all the experts here.
Old Mar 19, 13, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
If i were you, move you and your friend to bulkhead row seats. So you can get a bit more leg room and still be seated together if your upgrades dont clear. Also by splitting up the reservation your friend technically would lose the checked luggage benefit.
Old Mar 19, 13, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates [master thread]

There are not two bulkhead seats or I would have opted for that. Likely just carrying on roller board so not sure if luggage will be an issue. Would he lose exit rows if reservation is split as he has no status.
Old Mar 19, 13, 7:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by barney44 View Post
There are not two bulkhead seats or I would have opted for that. Likely just carrying on roller board so not sure if luggage will be an issue. Would he lose exit rows if reservation is split as he has no status.
If he's already in the exit row, he won't lose it if you split the reservation, but make sure he doesn't fuss with the seat assignment after you do the split, because if he changes it, he won't be able to get back into the exit row.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: