Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:40 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kaminski6
Silly question, probably answered somewhere, but googling kept bringing me to these long threads. Can I use the CP on international travel? Can I use the CP in conjunction with awards bookings?

I have a SW Companion Pass and a ton of points that me and my fiancee use for domestic travel... But the only thing we have for international flying is 100k in United Mileage Points and 80k in US Airways... Whats the most beneficial use of the CP's to me. We each have one, me and her.
The companion pass can only be used for domestic travel. The best way I can think of that it might be useful together with award travel would be to buy a positioning flight if you can't find award availability to get you from your home airport to/from the city your international segment departs from.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:00 pm

Also, I read just now that the companion pass has to be used on US AIRWAY flights... I just searched CLE to PUJ Sept 2 to Sept 9. I found a $504 flight reading

6:40 AM CLE 8:12 AM PHL
Operated by Republic Airlines dba US Airways Express

Does that mean its a Republic Airline flight? I am so confused. Would the CP work on a flight such as this?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by LM225
The companion pass can only be used for domestic travel. The best way I can think of that it might be useful together with award travel would be to buy a positioning flight if you can't find award availability to get you from your home airport to/from the city your international segment departs from.
That wouldn't do me any good as we plan to use our Southwest Airline Points in conjunction with my Southwest Companion pass to fly us to our domestic airports that we intend to fly out of for international travel.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:08 pm

Also, I read just now that the companion pass has to be used on US AIRWAY flights... I just searched CLE to PUJ Sept 2 to Sept 9. I found a $504 flight reading

6:40 AM CLE 8:12 AM PHL
Operated by Republic Airlines dba US Airways Express

Does that mean its a Republic Airline flight? I am so confused. Would the CP work on a flight such as this?
Yes -- it's valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express, as long as there is availability and it's not on one of the blackout dates listed on the certificate.

That wouldn't do me any good as we plan to use our Southwest Airline Points in conjunction with my Southwest Companion pass to fly us to our domestic airports that we intend to fly out of for international travel.
Then you'll simply have to take two trips
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
No and no. You cannot use the companion cert for international travel (except Canada) and you cannot combine with award travel.

Edited to add - I see that I was too late, the answers are provided upstream.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:30 pm

US Airways Express PUJ is international.... so thats a no go?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:37 pm

US Airways Express PUJ is international.... so thats a no go?
Correct. It has to be both domestic and on US Airways/US Express.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Silly question, probably answered somewhere, but googling kept bringing me to these long threads. Can I use the CP on international travel? Can I use the CP in conjunction with awards bookings?

I have a SW Companion Pass and a ton of points that me and my fiancee use for domestic travel... But the only thing we have for international flying is 100k in United Mileage Points and 80k in US Airways... Whats the most beneficial use of the CP's to me. We each have one, me and her.
They can only be used for the 48 states and Canada. Can't use them with award bookings either.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
Correct. It has to be both domestic and on US Airways/US Express.
Not only Domestic (well Canada is allowed as well), but not to Hawaii either.

I use my Alaska Airlines companion tickets for that.

I'd note that the way Alaska Airlines handles companion tickets is far superior to USAirways -- not only are you allowed the flights to Hawaii, but also you can use them for a multi-city combination with layovers in both directions (I've used them for Phoenix/Portland (2 days), Portland/Kona, then Kona/Portland (2 days), and Portland/Phoenix. Also, you can handle the whole thing online.

I find the call an agent, arrange the flights by phone, then mail in the coupon to be seriously archaic.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dwcatty
Is there an additional fee for booking over the phone? We live 5 minutes from our local, regional airport, can we buy the two tickets with the certificate and the US MC in person there? Any extra fee for buying in person?
Originally Posted by ITRADE
With respect to phone bookings, there used to be a fee, but I think enough people complained about the fact that you could not utilize the certificate on the website, so US dropped imposing the fee when booking tickets with the certificate over the phone.
Made our reservations on the phone at 6:20 am this morning (no waiting!) and there was absolutely no discussion of any booking fee. Price paid was cost of tickets.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Codeshare?

It has to be. . . on US Airways/US Express.
I haven't seen anything on this recently and would like confirmation. Can I use the companion cert for a US Airways flight that is being operating by United (i.e. on United metal)? US Airways is clearly selling this as a US Airways flight and it's bookable as such. Any actual experience with this would br appreciated. Thanks.

xlax
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
It has to be a flight that operated by US or USX, states that in the T&C.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:41 pm
formerly RZachSmith

Got to use a Cert this week for one paid fair plus 2 @ $99 - first that's worked out for me. Feels pretty good.

Also pretty smart by US, I guess. US's fare was higher than both United and AA by at least $100, but add two companions and I'm right back on US metal.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Not sure this is the right place to post this, but the Premier World MasterCard - is the annual fee waived in the first year?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:33 am

nevermind found the answer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.