FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1179907-archive-lus-us-companion-certificates-use-31-dec-2015-a.html)

snuggler Jan 28, 2013 7:43 pm

I know a similar question has been asked before, but has anyone used their CP to book a flight for themselves and then not flown with the 2 companions?

I have a certificate for 2 companions that I may not be able to use before the expiration, and my parents are visiting me soon. The tickets are so pricey that it may save us a decent amount of money to buy 1 full fare and 2 $99 companion fares, as opposed to 2 full price fares. I am just wondering what would happen to them if I booked, and even checked in online, but didn't actually fly with them.

LM225 Jan 28, 2013 7:59 pm

I'm sure it's not "legal", as the cardholder technically has to be traveling on the reservation. With that said, if you did this, I'd strongly suggest asking US to split the PNR's after ticketing. That way, if your return flight gets canceled, your parents' won't be impacted.

idealguru Feb 1, 2013 2:37 pm

anyone tried using another mastercard and it go through ok .. gonna try tonight so will post the outcome

aubreyfromwheaton Feb 2, 2013 4:35 am

I have a Barclays Us cc and compan cert

Annual fee posting soon.

I tried to get a 2nd card, went pending then declined by mean phone rep.

Can I use cert if I cancel card?

(cert doesn't expire yet, cuz I had lost my orig cert and asked for new one to be sent and the new one had later expiry date)

LM225 Feb 2, 2013 5:39 am

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton (Post 20171159)

Annual fee posting soon.

(cert doesn't expire yet, cuz I had lost my orig cert and asked for new one to be sent and the new one had later expiry date)

No, you need to use the DM MasterCard to pay for the tickets.

Bighead1970 Feb 3, 2013 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton (Post 20171159)

Annual fee posting soon.

Use the companion pass by booking, send it in via mail, then wait about 2 weeks and cancel card. That should work.

Bighead1970 Feb 3, 2013 4:52 pm

Multi city

Could someone look at the T&C on the companion pass. Have an upcoming trip which would be clt-syr then alb-clt. Is this allowed or does the orig and dest city have to be the same?

LM225 Feb 3, 2013 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bighead1970 (Post 20179613)
Could someone look at the T&C on the companion pass. Have an upcoming trip which would be clt-syr then alb-clt. Is this allowed or does the orig and dest city have to be the same?

The certificate is valid for one or two companion tickets (see below for details), valid for round-trip coach class travel within and between the contiguous U.S. and Canada when the primary cardholder purchases a qualifying ticket (minimum fare purchase of $250 required)
Unfortunately, doesn't look like open jaw will be allowed. Though it's possible that YMMV, as with many rules on US. Maybe try giving them a call (and trying a few agents if the first says no) to see if they'll let you book it. I'd be curious to know.

NotThatGuy2012 Feb 4, 2013 11:08 am

Coach Flexible (refundable) with CC companion cert

Can I use the cert for the "flexible" ticket and get the benefits of this fare for both the regular and the $99 ticket?

Both the Coach non-refundable and "flexible" (refundable) fares are the same for a flight I want.

(Searched this thread but couldn't find an answer.)
(Mastercard type companion cert)

AirJam389 Feb 4, 2013 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by idealguru (Post 20168340)
anyone tried using another mastercard and it go through ok .. gonna try tonight so will post the outcome

What was your outcome? I'd like to use the cert in my name, but pay with the USDM card in my wife's name. I'll try as well and report back.

dwcatty Feb 8, 2013 7:13 am

Originally Posted by fetchercity (Post 20129764)
My wife just got the Barclay's US Air Mastercard and received her Annual Companion Certificate. I'm trying to plan flights for us from DCA to MCO in March and would like to use the certificate then, but I'm confused as to how I am supposed to use it.

Do I have to redeem it by making reservations over the phone? How does it work?

Originally Posted by kudzu (Post 20129803)
Basically, you have to call, provide the cert #, routing, pax names, and have your US MC handy!

Is there an additional fee for booking over the phone? We live 5 minutes from our local, regional airport, can we buy the two tickets with the certificate and the US MC in person there? Any extra fee for buying in person?

IADCAflyer Feb 8, 2013 7:19 am

Originally Posted by dwcatty (Post 20209044)
Is there an additional fee for booking over the phone? We live 5 minutes from our local, regional airport, can we buy the two tickets with the certificate and the US MC in person there? Any extra fee for buying in person?

With respect to phone bookings, there used to be a fee, but I think enough people complained about the fact that you could not utilize the certificate on the website, so US dropped imposing the fee when booking tickets with the certificate over the phone.

FlightNurse Feb 8, 2013 9:13 am

Originally Posted by ITRADE (Post 20209072)
With respect to phone bookings, there used to be a fee, but I think enough people complained about the fact that you could not utilize the certificate on the website, so US dropped imposing the fee when booking tickets with the certificate over the phone.

I hope this is true, however, since the airlines are making ton's of cash off fee's now, I hope that this fee was dropped.

LM225 Feb 8, 2013 9:18 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 20209737)
I hope this is true, however, since the airlines are making ton's of cash off fee's now, I hope that this fee was dropped.

I can confirm -- I called to use it (before I was CP, so a phone fee would have applied otherwise) and was told there would be no phone fee charged as the certificate could not be used online.

kaminski6 Feb 11, 2013 11:37 am

Silly question, probably answered somewhere, but googling kept bringing me to these long threads. Can I use the CP on international travel? Can I use the CP in conjunction with awards bookings?

I have a SW Companion Pass and a ton of points that me and my fiancee use for domestic travel... But the only thing we have for international flying is 100k in United Mileage Points and 80k in US Airways... Whats the most beneficial use of the CP's to me. We each have one, me and her.