Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
All must be on US, Shuttle or US Express.

No United.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:36 am

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
Booking w/ Companion Ticket

Good morning all,

I have a $99 companion ticket I'd like to use in the next few months. I'm travelling to Orlando for work, but I have to book my ticket through our Amex traveler agent.

Would USA allow me to call up after the above reservation is made and use my companion ticket for my wfe?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by xtremeski2001
...Would USA allow me to call up after the above reservation is made and use my companion ticket for my wfe? ...
Unfortunately, no. The US companion cert rules require that the companion/s be booked at the same time as yours, assuming other requirements are satisfied ($250 minimum, etc)
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I'm still waiting on my next cert. Should get it in the next couple months.

Have a question in the meantime. Is the ticket only good for the lower 48 or does it include Canada, HI, AK, Mexico and the Caribbean?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
I'm still waiting on my next cert. Should get it in the next couple months.

Have a question in the meantime. Is the ticket only good for the lower 48 or does it include Canada, HI, AK, Mexico and the Caribbean?
My certificate (issued last month) says 48 contiguous or 48 contiguous to Canada.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:32 pm

I have a US companion cert on my name and would like to use for my wife and kids tickets (i am not flying). Is it possible to book.Please PM me. Thanks in advance
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by samineni3
I have a US companion cert on my name and would like to use for my wife and kids tickets (i am not flying). Is it possible to book.Please PM me. Thanks in advance
You must be on the PNR.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
Is it possible to book a rt ticket using the MC companion pass online?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Just used one of these. Noticed the blackout date of Dec 23, so I planned on taking the 12:40am flight LAX-PHL on Dec 24. The agent ended up making it a 12:40am flight on the 25th. I noticed and called back, and the agent was very friendly, but it took them a while to get the change done because 12:40am was too close to the 23rd for the computer to accept it ("it works on 3am to 3am"). Finally got it worked out though.

My one question is the fees. My receipt shows $92 base fares for companions, and $48 in taxes and "fees". Is this normal? The first ticket was $549 base + $83 in taxes and fees. All domestic, 2 segments each way.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by murphyUA:19391938
My one question is the fees. My receipt shows $92 base fares for companions, and $48 in taxes and "fees". Is this normal? The first ticket was $549 base + $83 in taxes and fees. All domestic, 2 segments each way.
That sounds about right depending on which airports you are flying thru and into. With a layover you have to figure $20-25 in taxes and fees for each way. IIRC my nonstop RT to DTW was around $125 for the companion.

Originally Posted by teese35:19391646
Is it ipossible to book a rt ticket using the MC companion pass online?
No you have to call the number listed on the certificate to book.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
does anyone know what the 2013 blackout dates are?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred
Originally Posted by beachbrew
does anyone know what the 2013 blackout dates are?
Jan 5, 6; Feb 15, 24; Mar 8, 10, 15, 17, 28, 29; Apr 1, 6,7; May 24; Jun 28, 29; Jul 6, 7 28; Aug 4; Dec 1, 2, 20, 21, 28, 29, 30.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:23 pm

Question on Companion Fare

The companion certificates can not be used for travel to Hawaii correct?

If I am the CC holder but not one of the travelers, is that acceptable, or does the CC have to travel?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by TargetDoz
The companion certificates can not be used for travel to Hawaii correct?

If I am the CC holder but not one of the travelers, is that acceptable, or does the CC have to travel?
No Hawaii, you have to travel.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:40 am

Programs: DM member since 1996, DM Gold, Marriott Gold
Would this work?

I am Gold and 2 companions have no status. I book all three of us on the same PNR. Then could I use miles to upgrade them(assuming it is available)? Then hope I get an upgrade during my window.

Risky I know that I don't get an upgrade. But would the computer deny using miles to upgrade passengers on a companion fare as they are not paying full freight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.