Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 9:36 am

while citi is not that bad- their web and mobile blows

which I assume so many just look to play em and move on?

I signed up for a chase offer of 300 dollars, was tempted to go for citi as with thankyou etc the cost per month would be like 5 dollars for the Gold account ( as I would earn enough re the rest)However, I think I'd rather jump from a bridge than having to deal with logging into two separate systems ( credit and debit), a mobil app I could have designed better (have in fact). Chase is not something I would write home about either, but still..
Old May 29, 2013, 1:16 pm

As an update, I checked to see why I hadn't been credited my miles. I am running into two problems:

1) They say that my bank ACH transfer weren't the right kind. They are supposed to be from Employers, Government agencies, etc.
2) They say that my PIN based purchase was not valid. It was supposed to be a credit based purchase.

I think both of these are ridiculous, because the terms say otherwise. It says direct deposit ACH but doesn't specify what kind is necessary. Also the purchases needed have to be debit purchases. So when I go to the store and they say "credit or debit"? I would assume the PIN purchase would mean debit.

Just use caution if you are expecting them to actually credit the miles.
Old May 29, 2013, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by wastedwords
As an update, I checked to see why I hadn't been credited my miles. I am running into two problems:

1) They say that my bank ACH transfer weren't the right kind. They are supposed to be from Employers, Government agencies, etc.
2) They say that my PIN based purchase was not valid. It was supposed to be a credit based purchase.

I think both of these are ridiculous, because the terms say otherwise. It says direct deposit ACH but doesn't specify what kind is necessary. Also the purchases needed have to be debit purchases. So when I go to the store and they say "credit or debit"? I would assume the PIN purchase would mean debit.

Just use caution if you are expecting them to actually credit the miles.
That's not good to hear as I've been using Paypal and Amazon to do ACH pushes to qualify for the DD. I will call to check when I get a chance.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by tys90
That's not good to hear as I've been using Paypal and Amazon to do ACH pushes to qualify for the DD. I will call to check when I get a chance.
After a secondary review was done on my account, they determined that I qualified for the bonus. Now it will be interesting to see how long it takes for the points to credit to my account.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 4:10 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Data point:

Opened citigold account on 3/30. Made 2+ ACH deposits via ETrade and Concur (corporate expense account) in April and May. Spent >$750 (signature based, not pin based) in May. Citi chat confirmed today that I met all requirements as of 5/9, and that I should expect the miles to post within 90 days. I will post here once my miles actually hit my AA account. BTW, so far, no monthly fees have been charged even though my balance is just $600.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 4:15 pm

I believe I met the requirements as well although I'm having trouble deciphering this message after I sent a message asking if I met all the requirements:

After reviewing your account, it does look as if our back office has reviewed the account as of 03/14/13 and states that once the promotion has been met allow 90 days to be credited. I would look for that promotion offer to be placed in your account by the end of the month of June.
Didn't confirm or deny that I met the requirements, but you could read into the message that I met the requirements and I should look for the miles at the end of June? Really confusing response.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:36 am

Data point

I used a wallyworld money_order (pin based) and one push from HSBC in the first month. The second month my employer was able to establish direct deposit. Then after the statement closed I sent the following question:

I just met all the requirements for promotion CYFM as of statement period ending 05/31/2013 and I thought I would have received the miles into my American Airlines AAdvantage account by now.

Could you tell me when I can expect the miles to be deposited in my American Airlines AAdvantage account?
The next day I received a very positive response.
Recently, you contacted Citibank regarding your participation in Promotion CYFM, which offered 30,000 AAdvantage miles if certain terms and conditions were met. We appreciate your patience while waiting for our response.

We have confirmed that your account has met the necessary requirements to qualify. Please allow 90 days from the date of the qualifying transaction(s), which satisfied the terms and conditions, to receive your incentive.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: A few
Similar data point here. One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments:

Recently, you contacted Citibank regarding your participation in Promotion CMEB, which offered 30,000 AAdvantage miles if certain terms and conditions were met. We appreciate your patience while waiting for our response.

We have confirmed that your account has met the necessary requirements to qualify. Please allow 90 days from the date of the qualifying transaction(s), which satisfied the terms and conditions, to receive your incentive.

Thank you for participating in Citibank¿s promotion.

If you have any further questions regarding your account, please contact CitiPhone Customer Service at 1-800-627-3999 or 1-800-360-2484 for a Spanish-speaking representative. Speech or hearing impaired customers may call the text telephone service at 1-800-945-0258. Representatives are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You may also access your account information online at www.citibankonline.com.

Sincerely,

A.N

Client Research
Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:54 pm

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
Hi, does anyone have a current offer code for the 30k citi gold checking. Also, has anyone gotten a tax form this year for miles posted last year or have they stopped that?

Thanks!!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by saranyc
Hi, does anyone have a current offer code for the 30k citi gold checking. Also, has anyone gotten a tax form this year for miles posted last year or have they stopped that?

Thanks!!
No tax yet for my 30K so far.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:51 am

received miles in 2 family members accounts a little after the promised 90 days from the last qualifying transaction. did have to remind citi of the miles - not sure if they would have every posted without the reminder?
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum - 2M miles
Data Points

Data Points for 30K miles for Gold Checking Acct:

Applied : Jan 30

Debit Card received in mail: Feb 5

Checks received in mail: Feb 7 (need to activate)

PIN: Feb 13 - Received via FedEx after 2 phone calls to Citi that PIN was never received via regular mail

Fulfulled all requirements: March 8 - Citibank email verification also stated that 30K miles will take 90 days to post

Miles posted: May 15 (60 days vs. 90 days)

I called Citi on June 1 to close my acct. Very nice rep. thanked me for my business and unilaterally offered to credit my acct the $30 maint fee that posted for the first time on my May stat. They promptly sent me a check for the $500 in the acct. Pretty painless way to rack up another 30K AA miles.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:39 am

received miles for my own citigold account 2.5 months after my last qualifying transaction. no reminder needed this time it seems all the miles are posted around the middle of the month?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by brownie20
received miles for my own citigold account 2.5 months after my last qualifying transaction. no reminder needed this time it seems all the miles are posted around the middle of the month?
I got mine as well but it was less than a month after meeting the requirements. Very happy to see that as I need them for a booking in less than a month.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by tys90
I got mine as well but it was less than a month after meeting the requirements. Very happy to see that as I need them for a booking in less than a month.
wow, that worked out well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.