Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:24 am

2014 offer

Does anyone know if there is a current offer? I am now ready to sign up - but I have an offer in my email that expires 12/31 and wanted to see if there was a current offer avail.

thanks,
expo
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
data point:
opened a/c 3rd week of Oct.
last week of Oct: DD from amazon payments and square
first week of Nov: DD from amazon payments and square
first week of Nov: recd debit card and loaded BB at WM kate, in 2 transactions adding > $750

Sent secure message a few days ago to confirm requirements have been met and got a message saying miles will post within 90 days.

Now waiting for miles to post
Miles posted 1/15, approx 70 days after requirements were met.

No fees charged on the account so far, which is strange. I'm gonna call and downgrade to no fee option today.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by expoguide
Does anyone know if there is a current offer? I am now ready to sign up - but I have an offer in my email that expires 12/31 and wanted to see if there was a current offer avail.

thanks,
expo
There is. New offer ends in 3/31/2014. Offer is 30k. Maybe targeted, I received the offer several days ago.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
Miles posted 1/15, approx 70 days after requirements were met.

No fees charged on the account so far, which is strange. I'm gonna call and downgrade to no fee option today.
Thanks for the data point. I am gonna go open the account i think
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:41 am

Got targeted offer this morning via email for 30K. Going to jump on it. Requirements below:

1. Open a new Regular Checking account in an eligible package by 3/31/2014.

2. Within 60 days after account opening, complete both of the following qualifying activities:

One qualifying direct deposit each month for 2 consecutive calendar months AND

Spend the required minimum amount on purchases using your Citibank® Debit Card* ($750 for 30K miles).
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
For me 83 days after requirements were met, actually more than that but I counting after the statement closing date (Oct 31). No miles yet, I sent few SM but I'm always got the within 90 days response... petty strange because the last time they asked me about the promotion code and the details, which I don't have it anymore (got the promo from the mail).
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:23 pm

would this be post as a cash advance...

Does anyone know if funding a new Citigold account with a citi MC (AA) would post as a cash advance on the cc?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:17 am
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by expoguide
Does anyone know if funding a new Citigold account with a citi MC (AA) would post as a cash advance on the cc?
As far as I know, funding your checking using cc will post as cash advance from any credit card (Citi definitely will). I know there were some loopholes in the past, but they have been closed. I got burned last year when funding using my Chase card. I would not recommend trying it.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Citi codes EVERY transaction with a bank (not just with Citi) as a cash advance even if it isn't initially coded as one. Setting your CA limit to 0 and doing this could help your plea if you call them and ask that the cash advance fee be waived as a one-time courtesy, but because they are almost always manually coded as a cash advance, setting the limit to 0 won't actually stop that fee from being charged.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
1099?

Did anyone get a recent 1099 (for tax year 2013) from CitiBank, who got on this deal last year (2013)?

Waiting for responses, before deciding to pull the trigger.

For those who might not be aware, last year Citi issues 1099s to everyone, and people are hoping they don't issue them this year - one reason many olks do not get on to the Citi deals.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by raj_cl
Did anyone get a recent 1099 (for tax year 2013) from CitiBank, who got on this deal last year (2013)?

Waiting for responses, before deciding to pull the trigger.

For those who might not be aware, last year Citi issues 1099s to everyone, and people are hoping they don't issue them this year - one reason many olks do not get on to the Citi deals.

Thanks in advance!
Income must be reported, even if you don't receive a W2 or 1099 for it.
Some people think you have to receive $600. Not true. That is, or at least was, the minimum for requiring a 1099 to be issued, in some cases, but non-issuance of a 1099 is not the same as reporting requirements for people receiving income.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by mvoight
Income must be reported, even if you don't receive a W2 or 1099 for it.
Some people think you have to receive $600. Not true. That is, or at least was, the minimum for requiring a 1099 to be issued, in some cases, but non-issuance of a 1099 is not the same as reporting requirements for people receiving income.
yeah we are all going to self report our account opening miles
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
yeah we are all going to self report our account opening miles
Especially since the IRS has decided not to tax frequent flier miles and I vehemently disagree with Citi's valuation for the miles.

From IRS Publication http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/a-02-18.pdf
[T]he IRS will not assert that any taxpayer has understated his federal tax liability by reason of the receipt or personal use of frequent flyer miles.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum

Without getting into the debate of interpreting IRS rules, repeating my simple question above...consiering so many folks on this forum benefitted from this promotion last year, and they would have received 1099s from Citi by now for tax year 2013, wondering if they can share their experience.

Thanks in advance for everyone's inputs.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:36 am
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by raj_cl

Without getting into the debate of interpreting IRS rules, repeating my simple question above...consiering so many folks on this forum benefitted from this promotion last year, and they would have received 1099s from Citi by now for tax year 2013, wondering if they can share their experience.

Thanks in advance for everyone's inputs.
I did this deal last year, and so far I have not received any 1099 from Citi.

When I log into my Citi account, I see this notice:
"2013 Year End Tax Forms will be mailed by January 31st. Please allow 10 business days for delivery before requesting a duplicate form. If you earned less than $10 in interest, you will not receive a Form 1099-INT."

I can post back here in mid-February if I received anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.