Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by foysrus
can these still be funded w/ a visa/mc from another bank?

TIA

Foy
Yes they can be funded thru a Debit Card or an ACH. This can also be funded thru a credit card, but the only downside is that (I confirmed) the transaction will appear on the cc as a cash advance.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by clevername
FWIW, you can also get a Cit AAdvantage debit card:

What is the Citibank / AAdvantage debit card?

It's a debit card that lets you earn AAdvantage miles for every dollar you spend.

How it works

To enroll, you need a checking account and an American Airlines AAdvantage program account. If you don't have an account with AAdvantage, we can set it up for you. If you have one but forgot the number, call 1-800-882-8880.
There are two plans to choose from: Basic or Premium.

Basic Premium

Get 2,000 AAdvantage bonus miles when you enroll1
Earn one AAdvantage mile for every $2 spent, up to 60,000 AAdvantage miles per calendar year2
$25 annual fee3
Get 4,000 AAdvantage bonus miles when you enroll1
Earn one AAdvantage mile for every $1 spent, up to 100,000 AAdvantage miles per calendar year2
$65 annual fee3

To earn AAdvantage miles, you must select Credit when presenting your card or card number for payment2.
There's no interest on purchases made using your debit card, unless your purchase accesses Checking Plus (variable rate) overdraft protection.
I just applied over the phone . The rep offered me the debit card, but when i asked her about the 2,000 bonus miles for the debit card she said that was not in the offer... any details on where to find the loophole for these extra 2K for the debit card?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by mymyles
I just applied over the phone . The rep offered me the debit card, but when i asked her about the 2,000 bonus miles for the debit card she said that was not in the offer... any details on where to find the loophole for these extra 2K for the debit card?
https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/p...AAdvantageCard

That may require you to log in, if it doesn't work just go to banking and you can find it under the banking with Citi tab.

It's not tied to the offer, but it is part of the Citi account, or you can opt for the free Thank you rewards debit card

--wes
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Gold ,BA, SPG
I was not targeted for this offer, but called Citi to find out if I would be eligible. CSR said, Yes, if I had both a Citi AAdvantage Credit Card and an Aadvantage Mileage Account. According to her, having both made me eligible to get the bonus miles.

She also said, as others here have noted, that the Checking account (either Regular or CitiGold) could be downgraded to Basic Checking after two months, provided Ive satisfied their qualified transactions requirements (direct deposits, online bill pay, debit card transactions, etc.).

If this thread is still open in a few months, Ill report back as to whether or not I got the miles and how much effort it took to see that they were posted to my account.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Sweet! This will bump me over 600K LT miles!
Not too bad considering in early 2008 I was at 50K.

Thanks OP!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:08 am

Just applied.

CSR said I was eligible even though I didn't receive the targeted email.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:41 am

Just so that you all know, Citi has been sending out 1099's to people who receive AA miles as a promo which value those miles at 2.5 cents each. If you get 30K miles, you may get a 1099-INT (or -MISC) showing income of $750.

Lots more on this here.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by uszkanni
Just so that you all know, Citi has been sending out 1099's to people who receive AA miles as a promo which value those miles at 2.5 cents each. If you get 30K miles, you may get a 1099-INT (or -MISC) showing income of $750.

Lots more on this here.
From what I've read the only people that received 1099s got them from savings accounts, not checking accounts for which this thread discusses. I opened a checking account and got 20K miles in Dec and did not (as of yet) get a 1099. It seems to be only for savings accounts.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by swat16
From what I've read the only people that received 1099s got them from savings accounts, not checking accounts for which this thread discusses. I opened a checking account and got 20K miles in Dec and did not (as of yet) get a 1099. It seems to be only for savings accounts.
The relevant IRS publication doesn't refer to account types but rather the type of institution. The IRS calls them "savings institutions." I couldn't find that term defined anywhere. They do broadly use the term "bank" in their examples.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by Ceiba
I was not targeted for this offer, but called Citi to find out if I would be eligible. CSR said, Yes, if I had both a Citi AAdvantage Credit Card and an Aadvantage Mileage Account. According to her, having both made me eligible to get the bonus miles.

She also said, as others here have noted, that the Checking account (either Regular or CitiGold) could be downgraded to Basic Checking after two months, provided Ive satisfied their qualified transactions requirements (direct deposits, online bill pay, debit card transactions, etc.).

If this thread is still open in a few months, Ill report back as to whether or not I got the miles and how much effort it took to see that they were posted to my account.
Welcome to FT Ceiba and thanks for the info!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Ceiba

She also said, as others here have noted, that the Checking account (either Regular or CitiGold) could be downgraded to Basic Checking after two months, provided I’ve satisfied their “qualified transactions” requirements (direct deposits, online bill pay, debit card transactions, etc.).

If this thread is still open in a few months, I’ll report back as to whether or not I got the miles and how much effort it took to see that they were posted to my account.
It'll be open, just a question of whether or not it's active

Originally Posted by Gamecock
Sweet! This will bump me over 600K LT miles!
Not too bad considering in early 2008 I was at 50K.

Thanks OP!
Out of curiosity what have you been doing to rack up 550K AA miles in 3 years? Running coins through AA cards? Or was the Citi bank account CC funding still alive in 2008? Actual BIS flying?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:26 am

Any idea how to link the AAdvantage a/c to Citibank checking a/c to get the bonus miles? thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by HoKo
It'll be open, just a question of whether or not it's active

Out of curiosity what have you been doing to rack up 550K AA miles in 3 years? Running coins through AA cards? Or was the Citi bank account CC funding still alive in 2008? Actual BIS flying?
Fairly easy to do between CC churning, bank account funding, signup bonuses, coins, flying, etc.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
"One offer per customer only."

I'm aware from post #1 that the promotion terms stipulate, "One offer per customer only." I was wondering if anyone had attempted to use the code multiple times and what their success rate had been?

I have multiple personal Citi AAdvantage cards and was considering trying the promotion for each card. All cards are in my name under my social security number. I wondered if I opened checking accounts separately under my name and my business (sole proprietorship) if the banking 'customer' would be differentiated by Citi and yield two bonus? Would AADV earn on a checking under a business name be an issue when transferring the points to American?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This may be news to some of you.

I hope all of you who sign up for this also read the other thread of the 5K AA miles bonus on opening saving account - that the bonus from banking account is treated as Interest or Misc Income.

1099s have been sent out for those who have received the bonuses from banking products, and the miles are valued at a Retail price of 0.025 per mile...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.