Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: SPG, HHonors
I keep getting the email offer, but did this and closed my Citigold account early in 2013. Am I eligible again? It's worth it to me.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:53 pm

Gimme

Originally Posted by elBulli
I keep getting the email offer, but did this and closed my Citigold account early in 2013. Am I eligible again? It's worth it to me.
If not can it be transferred to me...
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles, Miles and Bonus
Originally Posted by zakkthebear
does anyone have a link for this offer? i have not found it after numerous google searches. no email offer for me or the wife either.
There is unlikely to be a link. The offer is targetted at Citi AA cardholders. If youi are one, you will receive the offer by post.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
+data point

I have the Citi AA card and received the 30k offer by snail mail. My wife has a CitiMortgage (for an investment property) and a Citigold account with no monthly fees. Yesterday, I contacted Citibank's customer service via phone and online chat to confirm the following:
  1. That after opening my new account, I can add her to the new account (effectively becoming a joint account) and still be eligible for the new account promotion.
  2. Adding her to the account would waive the monthly fee.
Both the phone and online representatives confirmed the above are OK. Good news so far.

Today, I went into my local branch to open the account as planned. The agent advised that I do not need to add my wife to the account and that it would be fee-free just from being in the same household (as verified by address).

Sidenote: Security Deposit boxes are free fro Citigold customers.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:29 pm

"I have the Citi AA card and received the 30k offer by snail mail. My wife has a CitiMortgage"...

I found an online code, seems to be targeted, but I get to the page where I can fill in my details...

Does it mean it's working? Citi is known for codes working when should not..

Anyone?

Last edited by maceto; Sep 27, 2013 at 9:30 pm Reason: On my phone
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
apply online or in-branch?

I have the 30K targeted offer in USPS mail as hard copy.

Should I apply for the account in-branch or online?

Have heard hooror stories of people applying online but then waiting for months to get routing number etc. and when applying in-store, no one seems to know about this promo, so checking...

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by raj_cl

Have heard hooror stories of people applying online but then waiting for months to get routing number etc. and when applying in-store, no one seems to know about this promo, so checking...

Thanks in advance.
Make sure you get confirmation of promo application via secure messaging.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by raj_cl

Thanks in advance.
The same offer came with my monthly statement for months via USPS mail. I finally decided to do. I took the promo code to the branch office on a Saturday. The manager opened a checking with the promo code without any issue. She even called their marketing department to address my concern re: the 1099. Basically, I was told I 'should' not get a 1099 next year. We shall see. I got the debit card with my own PIN before I walked out the office. One more direct depoist this month and I'll call Citi to remind them to deposit the 30,000 miles.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:36 pm

I received the 30K AAdvantage miles with my statement, however my money is tied up at the moment till Jan of 2014. By that time I will have probably canceled my personal citi aadvantage cards and would have been left only with the business one.

My Q: Can I sign up for one of these offers (I am sure there will be other offers then) after Jan 2014 when I no longer have a personal Citi AAdvantage credit card?

TIA
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by sapiro
My Q: Can I sign up for one of these offers (I am sure there will be other offers then) after Jan 2014 when I no longer have a personal Citi AAdvantage credit card?
Does your offer have a "sign up by" date?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:11 pm

it's expires at the end of this month....
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by sapiro
it's expires at the end of this month....
Seems to be in line with what I was told when paying a visit to one of their branches. New codes coming 15th November. Also was told about the new mobile app (3 year to late if asking me) which would be based on the one in Singapore (layout/menu)
Old Oct 17, 2013, 9:26 am

Date point: Opened my account in early July and just got my miles on 10/15.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 7:49 am

You made $750 purchase as CREDIT or DEBIT ?

Originally Posted by hamburglar
Date point: Opened my account in early July and just got my miles on 10/15.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by ftbargain
You made $750 purchase as CREDIT or DEBIT ?
I'm wondering the same thing. I opened the account and set up direct deposit. I need to meet the $750 spending threshold. I wonder if it has to be CREDIT or DEBIT or can be both transaction?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.