Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by flew-d-coop
Anyone???

Does debit card purchase needs to be pin based or signature based?
You can do the whole spend requirement without ever using the PIN. Use it just like a CC. I met all the requirements by doing signature based spend. Miles posted no problem (once I called to remind them).

Last edited by MSPdude; Mar 29, 2013 at 11:51 am Reason: additional info
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by MSPdude
I think you can still get going on the spend requirement even without a PIN. Just use it like a CC.

BTW, I experienced the same problems when I did this the first time around. I called to inquire about my debit card after waiting two weeks, and they said I didn't request one. ...? They overnighted it to me, and then overnighted the PIN two days later.
I have been doing that but I can't setup my direct deposit without my account number, which they wouldn't give to me without a PIN (or would just be on my checks). I'll ask if they can overnight a new one instead of just asking when I'll be receiving it.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by tys90
I have been doing that but I can't setup my direct deposit without my account number, which they wouldn't give to me without a PIN (or would just be on my checks). I'll ask if they can overnight a new one instead of just asking when I'll be receiving it.
Ahhh!! Forgot about that! Sorry.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 3:41 pm

Can anyone confirm that they received 30k or more miles last year and did not receive a 1099? I'm trying to decide whether to do the citigold offer or just stick with the 15k to be safe. Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by nlcbdw
Can anyone confirm that they received 30k or more miles last year and did not receive a 1099? I'm trying to decide whether to do the citigold offer or just stick with the 15k to be safe. Thanks
This is my case.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:37 pm

Citi checking any good

So I might pull the trigger on this offer, checking accounts not to keen on switching that often.. so if I do go with this I will make it my primary account. Anyone have anything negative/positive to say? I will go for Gold Checking (I think).

Will one be able to earn AA points moving forward or just ThankYou points?

Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:53 pm

Quick update, it took FOREVER to get my checks and they had to resend my PIN, which still hasn't arrived. Nearly 4 weeks to get everything. Not that it should be a surprising based on this thread but it's a little ridiculous.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:00 pm

I missed my email message and that said this expires 3/31. It looks like a new email with the same offer gets sent out ever 1-3 months. However...

I can go under "view special offers" under my Citibank credit card account and see the 30k checking account is still listed. It contains this code:

Click below, or visit your local branch and mention code: CY9N
Do you think this offer is still good to go? or should I just wait for the next mailer?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by flyerfrog
For me, I did two ACH transfers each month, one from Fidelity and one from Paypal just to be safe. They showed up as ACH Electronic Credit. This met the direct deposit requirement. I actually transferred a few hundred dollars as well.
I did withdraw to my bank account from paypal, and it show up as

ACH Electronic Credit Apr 05 04:44 PAYPAL TRANSFER , sodo I need to use wire transfer from paypal in order for it to show as ACH Electronic Credit
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by wastedwords
I haven't really seen the answer to this ( I searched ). Has anyone been able to do this more than once? Is there a time that the account must be closed before applying again. Sorry for the stupid question if it's been answered before...
I answered my own question by doing some more reading. It can only be done every 2 years.

Also, it looks like 1099 isn't an issue this year, as last years bonus would've already had a 1099 sent out for taxes by now. That's good news if it holds true.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:13 pm

I did the 15K offer. Did not complete the spending until 2 days after the 60 day window but it worked out ok. Spending finished on 2/5 and the miles posted on 4/15.

Last edited by billpreston; Apr 20, 2013 at 5:10 am
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by billpreston
I did the 15K offer. Did not complete the spending until 2 days after the 60 day window but it worked out ok. Spending finished on 2/5 and the miles posted on 4/15.
My first direct deposit ended up being $0 so technically I didn't meet the terms of the offer. They honored it after I contacted them.

If you want to apply for this offer and have more than one online account consider having them merged before applying. I had one account each for my AA Visa and AA American Express and I ended up not being able to access either for about a week due to a glitch in their system. I ended up speaking with one of their techs who manually merged the accounts.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 3:49 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Just got off the phone with a Citigold rep, so here are some points for reference:
* The $750 spend requirement on debit card must be signature-based. Any pin-based transactions won't qualify for this requirement.
* I had no problem using a credit card to fund the initial amount (I did $1200 = 1200 UR points on Chase card assuming no cash advance fees) just now over the phone. They would not take Amex card, but Visa/MC is fine. These points will nicely offset any debit purchases that I will be making
* I got the offer email last month because I have the AA amex card. I signed up for the account on 3/29 before the 3/31 deadline.

I will post in this thread in June/July once the miles post. So far no fees have been assessed yet.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:08 am
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
I initiated direct deposit to this Citigold account from my employer's expense reimbursement account (Concur). I see the following trial deposit for $0.01:
ACH PREAUTHORIZED CREDIT
Do you think this will count as one direct deposit for the month? Any insight based on your experience would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by c2d
I initiated direct deposit to this Citigold account from my employer's expense reimbursement account (Concur). I see the following trial deposit for $0.01:

Do you think this will count as one direct deposit for the month? Any insight based on your experience would be much appreciated.
man that's funny- gaming is your middle name...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.