Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: A few
Ok I am going to jump in on CMEB, 30k miles is too good to pass up even if it can take 6 months and $120 of fees.

I see one report of Fidelity working for direct deposit requirement. Any others noted? I think prepaids like Bluebird, Vision etc transfer as ACH my hope is these will work
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:37 pm

received new code by mail today good until 3/31/13. same requirements as before!

edited to add:
sorry, just noticed i didn't include the new code! it's CYFM.

Last edited by brownie20; Feb 15, 2013 at 10:40 pm Reason: forgot code!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by raj_cl
Anyone who got miles in 2012 from this offer, got the corresponding 1099 yet?

If a 1099 was issued, in my opinion, this is not worth the hassle.

Any experiences?
From what I read somewhere in this forum, they no longer send out 1099 for miles. These miles aren't 'gifts' they are a promo based on money you have or spends that you had to meet to earn the miles. As always YMMV.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Jwerking
Hi all:

Glad I found this discussion - as I am ready for another 30K AA miles. We just completed a Oneworld/Explorer AA trip (round-the world) and it was awesome - best program in the world.

I have read the last few pages of the thread - but need to clarify a few points before I sign up.

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct? CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K) NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank? NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct? I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer? YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks. YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Thank you all:

Joyce
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Originally Posted by texasguy77
From what I read somewhere in this forum, they no longer send out 1099 for miles. These miles aren't 'gifts' they are a promo based on money you have or spends that you had to meet to earn the miles. As always YMMV.
Thanks for the feedback, I'm guessing the same.

Can people who have benefitted from this offer, and got miles between Jan-1-2012 and Dec-31-2012, confirm that they have not received any 1099 from Citi for the tax year 2012?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA (Plat), National (Exec)
Originally Posted by GTXgp
Alright, so it has been a little while since I posted. Here is my current timeline:

9/24: Opened Account Online, but did not receive checks or debit card for 2+ weeks

10/5: I called to confirm that the offer period did not start until these items were received and activated

10/11: I finally received everything necessary to activate my account

10/22: Made my first ACH via Fidelity

11/06: Made my second ACH via Fidelity

11/07: $750 spend hit with debit card (I didn't use pin)

11/08: I send a secured message to Citi inquiring about meeting requirements. I get a "form" response back that was fairly useless. I reply with more details and I get a second reply saying they will open an "investigation" to confirm that I qualified.

11/21: I finally get this message back:

...I also got a matching letter via snail mail.

12/27: I have not received the miles... and I have not been charged any service fees. I have $60 remaining in the account to cover service fees till February. It would be nice if I didn't have to wait that long
As a final update... my miles finally posted a week ago. I was only billed for one $30 monthly fee during this whole process. So, $30 for 30k miles is a good deal to me! I closed my Citigold account today.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by GTXgp
As a final update... my miles finally posted a week ago. I was only billed for one $30 monthly fee during this whole process. So, $30 for 30k miles is a good deal to me! I closed my Citigold account today.
Good for you!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by brownie20
received new code by mail today good until 3/31/13. same requirements as before!

edited to add:
sorry, just noticed i didn't include the new code! it's CYFM.
This code does not work. Any other codes out there for opening citigold acct and receiving 30K AA miles?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjay
This code does not work. Any other codes out there for opening citigold acct and receiving 30K AA miles?
Looks like post #766 above mentioned CMEB as a different code...
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:19 am

Miles posted

I just noticed my 30K miles posted this week. I have yet to be charged a monthly fee, and the other thing I noticed is that I actually didn't even receive my check card until after 10/31, and It took me 63 days to meet the minimun spend.

Anyway, time to cancel.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by ironmanjay
hmm that's odd we opened 2 accts using the CYFM code. CMEB should work too tho - i received an email offer with that code as well, valid until 2/28.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:28 pm

Hello,

Iv'e completed the required spending for the 30K Citi however 3 days too late... I tried and called the number on the back of the ATM card however they would not budge.

Has anyone succeeded in convincing them to manually issue the bonus?

Thank in advance!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:08 pm

sorry if this question is asked before.
for code CYFM and CMEB , it mention:
----
This offer is available to CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ credit card members who receive this communication.
----
do i need to have citi AAdvantage credit card to be eligible for this offer? thanks
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:46 am

Have any citi cardholders who definitely DID NOT receive the email, but used a code from FT (and completed requirements) successfully received the miles?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:28 pm

Angry Banker confirms 1099s will be sent out on all AA bonuses...

If what he said is true, this is an obvious no-go for me. I think AA was previously valuing miles at 2.5 cpm. I would definitely not want a 1099 for $750 on which I would pay $225 (assuming 30% tax rate) in addition to the $90-$120 total Gold fees for not meeting the monthly $50K balances for an all-in of $315+. Not worth 30K miles and all the rigmarole.

Question is -- will they actually send out 1099s?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.