Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:35 am

Two quick questions:

I need to make five debit card payments each month, for a total of 10 payments, correct?

Is there some good / cheap online way to rack up these debit card payments? Could I just make five $0.20 cent payments through paypal on the card?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:57 pm

Is it worth the effort?

First, you need keep $6,000 there to avoid fees. I think you have to keep the month there for at least 6 months.

So far, you can get a rewards checking account for 4% APY. Your opportunity cost is: $6,000 *4% *6/12 = $120

So basically, to get the 30,000 miles, you need pay all of those efforts plus $120.

That is more than expensive than the annual fee for the AA credit cards that give you 25,000 or 50,000 miles after either first purchase or after certain amount is purchased, e.g. $750.

More important, AA credit cards waive the first year annual fee.

Considering all of this, I am not really not sure it is worth the effort.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ephone
First, you need keep $6,000 there to avoid fees. I think you have to keep the month there for at least 6 months.

So far, you can get a rewards checking account for 4% APY. Your opportunity cost is: $6,000 *4% *6/12 = $120

So basically, to get the 30,000 miles, you need pay all of those efforts plus $120.

That is more than expensive than the annual fee for the AA credit cards that give you 25,000 or 50,000 miles after either first purchase or after certain amount is purchased, e.g. $750.

More important, AA credit cards waive the first year annual fee.

Considering all of this, I am not really not sure it is worth the effort.
First, for the $6K minimum no fee account, you get 25K miles - the 30K takes a $50K minimum balance.

Next, why not do them all?

Also, in theory (but not always in practice) you get a 1099 for interest, but not for miles. Even so, opportunity cost of $120 for 25K miles? Any day.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:16 pm

Wondering if I should jump in and risk not getting this offer in the future again.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
I was promised a waiver on the service fees for both the 25k and 30k checking accounts if I moved the money after 2 months into normal checking. My initial deposits were $100.

I was told I would still get the miles if I transfered after 2 months and will not have to keep the 50k minimum in the account.

I was also assured that a 1099 is only generated on savings accounts not checking.

Will see,...........

Originally Posted by josephstern
First, for the $6K minimum no fee account, you get 25K miles - the 30K takes a $50K minimum balance.

Next, wwas promoishy not do them all?

Also, in theory (but not always in practice) you get a 1099 for interest, but not for miles. Even so, opportunity cost of $120 for 25K miles? Any day.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 6:26 pm

Non-targeted offer

I called Citibank today to ask whether the C25A offer was targeted or not. They told me that it was (and that it had expired), but that they had an offer they could give me if I opened the checking account over the phone. As far as I can tell it's the same terms as the online offer:

25K miles for Citibank Checking
30K miles for Citigold Checking

The funding/balance requirements are the same as listed previously.

Hope that helps someone secure some more miles,

--TWH
Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:48 am

I don't understand all the complaints about Citi and their checking account bonuses. I was not targeted for this offer but I signed up anyway (for my wife). I did $15 direct deposit every two weeks. After 61 days that the account was opened I simply sent a secure message to customer service asking why I hadn't received my 25,000 bonus miles. Within a few hours I received an email stating they were opening an investigation to look in to this matter. A couple hours later I received a second response saying the investigation revealed I met all requirements for the offer and my 25,000 bonus miles were being processed. This all happened yesterday. This morning I checked my wife’s AA account and the 25,000 miles were posted this morning.

I did this promotion with Citi for 20,000 miles in Oct and without even sending a message they gave me the 20,000 miles. I don’t understand why everyone complains so much about Citi not giving the miles for these promos. I’m 2 for 2 with absolutely no hassle. If anyone is on the fence with this promo I would say go for it! As far as the fees, I was not charged any fees with either promo! I guess the key is I got my miles right at 60 days and they waive the fees the first two months. If Citi would offer me a free account I would stick with them.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by swat16
I don't understand all the complaints about Citi and their checking account bonuses.
Mostly, IRS tax BS. 25,000 miles = $625 tax liability = ~ $200 in payments. So, So you are buying the miles at 0.8 cents.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Mostly, IRS tax BS. 25,000 miles = $625 tax liability = ~ $200 in payments. So, So you are buying the miles at 0.8 cents.
But from what I understand - Citi has only been sending 1099's out on the 5K savings account bonuses, not the checking account bonuses.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by edwards183
But from what I understand - Citi has only been sending 1099's out on the 5K savings account bonuses, not the checking account bonuses.
I got the checking account offer via snail mail, and on the back of the card it clearly stated that the miles earned will be reported to IRS as income.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: Starwood, Delta, American Airlines, USA, United
I don't understand all the complaints about Citi and their checking account bonuses. I was not targeted for this offer but I signed up anyway (for my wife). I did $15 direct deposit every two weeks. After 61 days that the account was opened I simply sent a secure message to customer service asking why I hadn't received my 25,000 bonus miles. Within a few hours I received an email stating they were opening an investigation to look in to this matter. A couple hours later I received a second response saying the investigation revealed I met all requirements for the offer and my 25,000 bonus miles were being processed. This all happened yesterday. This morning I checked my wife’s AA account and the 25,000 miles were posted this morning.

I did this promotion with Citi for 20,000 miles in Oct and without even sending a message they gave me the 20,000 miles. I don’t understand why everyone complains so much about Citi not giving the miles for these promos. I’m 2 for 2 with absolutely no hassle. If anyone is on the fence with this promo I would say go for it! As far as the fees, I was not charged any fees with either promo! I guess the key is I got my miles right at 60 days and they waive the fees the first two months. If Citi would offer me a free account I would stick with them.
SWAT16
I did the OCT 31st (ending date) PROMO CODE C22D, completed the requirements, but still haven't had the AA points post as of today. I went in and sent a secured email this morning and I am hoping for the points to post ASAP! Did the same promo code for my husband and his points HAVE NOT posted either? why does it take so long you think? That promo code does say that they should post 90 days AFTER the 2nd transacion of the 5 purchase, which for me should have been March 9th. I waited a little while longer, but finally decided to send an inquiry. waiting!!! I hope they post as fast as yours did!
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:01 am

just fyi
a friend was late to the game, called the 800 number and they are still willing to open account under the latest promo code. So for those that are late to the game there is still a chance. : )
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by edwards183
That's because it's below the $600 1099-MISC reporting threshold. If you get 25K miles this time, there is a chance that Citi will 1099 you.

I emailed Citi and they said for 5K saving bonus, since you don't need to do anything(like billpay, debit card charge, etc), so they will do 1099-INT (low reporting threshold). If you need to do something (like this checking promo), they will do 1099-MISC(for $600+) instead of 1099-INT.

Actually someone did get 1099-MISC from that thread. Well, if Citi is consistent on this 1099 issue, I'd rather take $250 cash for opening a Citi account instead of AA miles.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:12 am

After 61 days that the account was opened I simply sent a secure message to customer service asking why I hadn't received my 25,000 bonus miles. Within a few hours I received an email stating they were opening an investigation to look in to this matter. A couple hours later I received a second response saying the investigation revealed I met all requirements for the offer and my 25,000 bonus miles were being processed. This all happened yesterday. This morning I checked my wife’s AA account and the 25,000 miles were posted this morning.
I wish I had your experience. I sent them a secure message, and they got back to me saying the the miles would post by June 30 . I have the Citigold account and would like to convert it to just a basic checking account to avoid the $30/month fee, but I'm afraid this will put my points in jeopardy.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just called Citi and the CSR (who identified herself as a "personal banker".. was definitely U.S.-based) told me that C25A has expired March 31st and is therefore unusable. She did say that these promotions run often, so I should wait for the next one.

She also confirmed that Citi will not do a "hard pull" on your credit for a checking account, but they do look at ChexSystems to ascertain your creditworthiness. ChexSystems inquiries supposedly does not affect your credit score.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.