Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Awards: AAdvantage Reward Bookings for Cars & Hotels (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awards: AAdvantage Reward Bookings for Cars & Hotels (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Had two recent stays, one at Hampton Inn, one at doubletree.

On Both got HH Benefits, (hampton cookies and water). I checkin in late, and the store was closed, I know that if I make a purchase of anything and charge it to my room it will trigger a stay and credit. I was not able to charge anything, so did not get any stay credit or anything points. (update:72 hours later I did get all points for the negotiated rate of $39, I guess the purchase would have triggered the 500 AMEX points)

On the doubletree stay, I charged to my room tip for breakfast ( I got HH breakfast vouchers), I only got points for tip amount, got night credit, bonus Q4 points and AMEX 500 for using my Surpass Card.

Last edited by ORD-TGU; Dec 7, 2011 at 7:12 am
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: 2MM by 2013 AA
AA-hotels with miles

Im sitting on a bunch of miles, can anyone shine some light on what are good deals to book hotels with AA miles? Or simply not worth it.

Thank you.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
LHR T4 Hilton + Breakfast for 2; 21,100 miles and $0

Just booked as described in the title. Works out to better than 2.0 cpm. More miles coming in than I can use, this is a good way to burn some!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
Has anyone had any luck getting Stay credit when using with Hyatts??
Old May 28, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Reasonable Hotel Award Change Process

I just wanted to post my experience with changing a hotel award booking to a different night. I had always assumed that this would be impossible or very costly, and I was pleasantly surprised that it was easy and (fairly) cheap. I called the number given in the fine print of the award documentation. I called at around midnight, and was surprised to have someone pick up instantly and be able to help me. The person I spoke with was very helpful and processed the change quickly and sent the confirmation right away. It did cost $30 for a change fee (as stated in the fine print), but that's it. Of course, there may not always be availability and YMMV, but this was one of those instances when something was a lot easier than I expected.

I've done a few hotel awards and have had good luck with them. One interesting point is that when I log in I always get much better pricing than my husband does. I'm not sure why, since neither of us has any kind of status. I do have the Citi AAdvantage credit card, but I don't remember seeing anything about award pricing listed as a benefit. Of couse I do also get the 10% back on redeemed miles (this is one of the new benefits that kicked in back in April).
Old May 28, 2012, 6:08 pm

SJC to Las Vegas

Instead of taking my car with 86k miles (1999 model car, but well maintained) in it, I am thinking of renting a car for a 3 night stay.

Looking for a deal.

AA miles - I need 7k @ 4days to manage this trip.

Is it worth it? Are there a better promo?
Old May 29, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by sciconf
Instead of taking my car with 86k miles (1999 model car, but well maintained) in it, I am thinking of renting a car for a 3 night stay.

Looking for a deal.

AA miles - I need 7k @ 4days to manage this trip.

Is it worth it? Are there a better promo?
INMHO, worth it.

Similar choice I just made, decided to rent a car using miles for a holiday weekend roadtrip of 500+ miles, as EXP get 50% discount. Did have to pay all taxes/fees that were very similar of dummy booking I made. I rented a minivan that was spacious for entire family. The minivan was a E85 flexfuel, so I saved on gas and avoided using my own car.

I am very pleased with this type of award redemption, never blackout dates, so can use anytime, no fees and most of the time I add my loyalty number and get some sort of miles/credit. As a reference they value miles at 1.5CPM.
Old May 29, 2012, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU

Similar choice I just made, decided to rent a car using miles for a holiday weekend roadtrip of 500+ miles, as EXP get 50% discount.

As a reference they value miles at 1.5CPM.
Not sure what is EXP? And how to get 50% discount?

Also how does it compares with Chase Ultimate reward car rental redemption?
Old May 29, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Not sure what is EXP? And how to get 50% discount?

Also how does it compares with Chase Ultimate reward car rental redemption?
Executive Platinum status/members gets discount
Old May 29, 2012, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by booyaa
Executive Platinum status/members gets discount
What does it take to become achieve a Executive Platinum status?
Old May 29, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
What does it take to become achieve a Executive Platinum status?
aa.com has all the info you need
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:50 pm

AA Miles for Hotels Price Differences --An Anomaly?

Trying to use our AA miles for hotel rooms since flights from GSO at convenient times/routings are too expensive mileswise.

Trying for the Ritz Carlton in Ft Lauderdale. Price is 31,500 for one night.

If I log into my AA account, it is still 31,500 for one night. However, if I log into my wife's account, it is only 19,000 miles.

Similar with car rentals. Me--7,000 miles; her--3,200 miles. We have the same AA status and when I called AA Vacations the CSR came up with 31,500 also. She had no explanation for the difference.

The ONLY thing different is that my wife has an AAdvantage credit card from Citi. I just got approved for an AA card so I will know soon if that is the difference.

Anyone have a similar experience?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by JATR4
Trying to use our AA miles for hotel rooms since flights from GSO at convenient times/routings are too expensive mileswise.

Trying for the Ritz Carlton in Ft Lauderdale. Price is 31,500 for one night.

If I log into my AA account, it is still 31,500 for one night. However, if I log into my wife's account, it is only 19,000 miles.

Similar with car rentals. Me--7,000 miles; her--3,200 miles. We have the same AA status and when I called AA Vacations the CSR came up with 31,500 also. She had no explanation for the difference.

The ONLY thing different is that my wife has an AAdvantage credit card from Citi. I just got approved for an AA card so I will know soon if that is the difference.

The miles required for redemption are significantly less when I'm logged in than when I'm not. That's a listed EXP benefit. Does your wife have the Citi Executive (or whatever it's called) card, the one with AC membership and (limited) EQM earning?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:05 pm

That's my best guess -- when I had gold by virtue of the AA Executive card, I could see lower points requirements for hotel and car rentals.

For some reason, your wife is seeing redemptions as though she has status with AA.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JATR4

Yup. (and I would never dream of calling or asking about it on a public forum) @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.