Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Back-to-back or "nested" ticketing questions, discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Back to Back or "Nested" Tickets - Discussion

Ticket validity: Compliance with terms and conditions of sale (link)

American specifically prohibits practices commonly known as:
  • Back-to-back ticketing: The combination of two or more roundtrip excursion fares end to end for the purpose of circumventing minimum stay requirements.
<snip>

Where a ticket is invalidated as the result of the passenger's non-compliance with any term or condition of sale, American has the right in its sole discretion to:
  1. Cancel any remaining portion of the passenger's itinerary
  2. Confiscate unused flight coupons
  3. Refuse to board the passenger or check the passenger's luggage
  4. Refuse to refund an otherwise refundable ticket
  5. Assess the passenger for the reasonable remaining value of the ticket, which shall be no less than the difference between the fare actually paid and the lowest fare applicable to the passenger's actual itinerary

Typically, these are tickets purchased to evade minimum stays such as seven days or Saturday night. E.g. Consultant John Doe flies AUS-SEA Monday, returns Thursday; he buys nested round trip excursion tickets using coupon 1 of ticket 1 outbound, coupon 1 of ticket 2 return, the coupons #2 the following week, etc. AA hates John Doe. AA wants Mr. Doe to stop it.

Print Wikipost

Back-to-back or "nested" ticketing questions, discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Just to be clear this is exactly what is spelled out as being against the T&Cs.
As others have said, this one is likely to be disallowed nesting, and if done repeatedly, will almost certainly trigger action from AA.
AS others have pointed out, this is explicitly a violation.
Is this really that clear cut? The CoC says for the purpose of circumventing minimum stay requirements, but what if the reason for his savings is because the reverse flight is inherently cheaper? Let's say A-B-A is normally $500 and B-A-B is normally $300 (both without minimum stays). A passenger nesting these flights at $800 isn't circumventing any minimum stay requirements by nesting them.

However, if A-B-A is normally $500 and B-A-B is normally $500, but there is a $300 A-B-A fare due to 7-day stay or weekend stay, then the passenger would be clearly violating the CoC by nesting them.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by flightrisk
Is this really that clear cut? The CoC says for the purpose of circumventing minimum stay requirements, but what if the reason for his savings is because the reverse flight is inherently cheaper? Let's say A-B-A is normally $500 and B-A-B is normally $300 (both without minimum stays). A passenger nesting these flights at $800 isn't circumventing any minimum stay requirements by nesting them.

However, if A-B-A is normally $500 and B-A-B is normally $500, but there is a $300 A-B-A fare due to 7-day stay or weekend stay, then the passenger would be clearly violating the CoC by nesting them.
This was much more clear-cut back in the day when the pre-deregulation rules (e.g. saturday night stay) largely carried over.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 11:40 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
This "nested ticket" scare is blown up WAY out of proportion.

The simplest strategy is to buy the tickets on two different days. "I planned a 14-day trip from LHR to DFW. Then I discovered that I had to go back to LHR mid-trip. I could have bought that second ticket on any airline. I chose to buy the ticket on AA. You sure have a strange way of thanking people for additional business."

If AA asks (which they won't), just tell them that you bought a ticket on their website,then you bought ANOTHER ticket on their website. If this is illegal ticketing, than go ahead and call the cops to arrest their website, because that's who sold the tickets to you.

As others have posted, the malarkey about "you may buy any ONE ticket you wish, but certain combinations of TWO tickets are illegal" is pure baloney nowadays ... especially if you buy the ticket on two separate days. Even back during the era when Saturday night stays were "required" to get the low fare, I used to buy a two-week trip (leave Sunday night on Day 1 , return Friday afternoon on Day 13 ). The next day, I'd buy a nested ticket (leave the destination on Friday afternoon Day 6 , return on Sunday night Day 8 ). If AA ever asked me about it (which they never did), I practiced my spiel (which I never got to use). I'd just say that I bought a two-week trip on my favorite airline. Then, after buying that trip, I decided to go home for the weekend. I could have bought that second trip on any airline. I chose AA. You're welcome.

Now that the Saturday Night Minimum Stay deal is a thing of the past, I can't think of any combination of tickets which are "illegal".
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
This "nested ticket" scare is blown up WAY out of proportion.

The simplest strategy is to buy the tickets on two different days. "I planned a 14-day trip from LHR to DFW. Then I discovered that I had to go back to LHR mid-trip. I could have bought that second ticket on any airline. I chose to buy the ticket on AA. You sure have a strange way of thanking people for additional business."
But not as high as if you didn't nest the tickets

If AA asks (which they won't), just tell them that you bought a ticket on their website,then you bought ANOTHER ticket on their website. If this is illegal ticketing, than go ahead and call the cops to arrest their website, because that's who sold the tickets to you.
They have posted the fare rules, there is only so much an app can check. I doubt that tactic will hold much weight.

As others have posted, the malarkey about "you may buy any ONE ticket you wish, but certain combinations of TWO tickets are illegal" is pure baloney nowadays ... especially if you buy the ticket on two separate days. Even back during the era when Saturday night stays were "required" to get the low fare, I used to buy a two-week trip (leave Sunday night on Day 1 , return Friday afternoon on Day 13 ). The next day, I'd buy a nested ticket (leave the destination on Friday afternoon Day 6 , return on Sunday night Day 8 ). If AA ever asked me about it (which they never did), I practiced my spiel (which I never got to use). I'd just say that I bought a two-week trip on my favorite airline. Then, after buying that trip, I decided to go home for the weekend. I could have bought that second trip on any airline. I chose AA. You're welcome.

Now that the Saturday Night Minimum Stay deal is a thing of the past, I can't think of any combination of tickets which are "illegal".
Nested tickets unto themselves are not illegal. It's when doing so violates stated fare rules. If there is a clause stating a minimum stay is required and the nested ticket bypasses that, then there is an issue. If a fare is reduced by being gone longer than you would have otherwise, there is an implied minimum stay. IF the airline so chooses, they may try to enforce it. They are not likely going to be nice about it and tell you before the trip, but more likely to catch you before/during your return trip where you are more likely to pay for a walkup fair than stay and find a better fare (personally, if this happened to me, I'd walk myself to a competitor and buy there, if I had too).

Yes, people may get away with this everyday. And if you are a HVC, they may let it slide. But know that at anytime, they can choose to enforce their rules and you are pretty much stuck. If you have high risk tolerance, then fine, if not, follow the rules.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My understanding of AA's terms is that nested ticketing is not prohibited other than specifically back-to-back

I cannot see how it would be illegal to buy such tickets but is unlawful in accordance to AA's terms and it could take action if it wants to.

Buying on separate days does not make any difference - the lawful approach would be to make changes to the existing booking

There are plenty of discount fares that have purchasing requirements and minimum stay requirements - it is not a thing of the past
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Ah, I remember the good old days. I think it was 1991, when you didn't even need an ID to fly, I manged to combine a business trip to Chicago in mid-December with a trip over Christmas to Milwaukee for a co-worker, and to top it off UA had a promotion where you got a free ticket for every 8 segments flown.

I think in practice AA would only enforce this rule if someone violated it repeatedly, or was advising others to do it or doing it for them, like a travel agent.

Hidden city is the same thing.

I suspect we all agree at the end of the day, that when the carriers invent insane and insanely complex fares, they get what they deserve. But that's a discussion for another thread.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by redtop43
Ah, I remember the good old days. I think it was 1991, when you didn't even need an ID to fly, I manged to combine a business trip to Chicago in mid-December with a trip over Christmas to Milwaukee for a co-worker, and to top it off UA had a promotion where you got a free ticket for every 8 segments flown.

I think in practice AA would only enforce this rule if someone violated it repeatedly, or was advising others to do it or doing it for them, like a travel agent.

Hidden city is the same thing.

I suspect we all agree at the end of the day, that when the carriers invent insane and insanely complex fares, they get what they deserve. But that's a discussion for another thread.
Yes, every so often the rules can be worked to our favor and there is nothing wrong with that. Years ago, AA had a special for CA - NYC and FL - NYC, At that time they did require a Saturday stay, but there was saying where I had to stay. So I booked a training class in MCO and I flew from SFO NYC MCO rt. Got the bonus for both specials and tada, all done. It was within the rules. It was flown as required. Points were issued as stated.

Chronic offenders are the ones that need to worry the most. AA does track some of this stuff. And when you least expect it or can afford it, they will spring the trap. AA has a nasty tactic that resolution includes a NDA often times so we don't get to hear the gorry details of the hoops needed to be jumped through to retain some sort of status/miles.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:17 pm

OK. I think this should be fine but let me know what everyone thinks:
  • EZE - MIA - LGA on AA Mileage saver award
  • MIA - MCO paid AA one-way fare right after landing in MIA on award ticket
  • Throw away MIA - LGA segment from award

Thoughts?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:52 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Woodsmit

Thoughts?
Make sure you have sufficient time between landing at MIA and departing to MCO. If the incoming is late, AA won't protect you (and he paid MIA-MCO ticket will likely lose all value).

Suggestion: allow FAR more than enough time. If you don't need all that time, fly standby earlier.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:53 pm
Suspended

@Woodsmit,There is one Delta non-stop between MIA and MCO daily at low price. DL197 dep at 2015 (815pm). Alternatively take trirail to FLL and there are multiple daily with Silver and Spirit. I think Southwest as well which I did not check.That is if you do not wish to run into any trouble with AA by credit miles to AA.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:47 pm

Thoughts?
Thanks all. The times are as follows:
  • EZE - MIA lands at 5:09 AM EST
  • MIA - MCO takes off at 6:50 AM EST
1 hour 41 minute layover for AA - AA connection. I will not have checked bags and have Global Entry. The ticket I bought is the "Flexible" one so could move without penalty though I guess I risk the alternative flights being sold out?

Guess two questions: Do folks think I am at risk from a revenue protection / nested flight issue with this and I guess the derivative question raised by CloudCoder is whether this is enough connection time or am I playing with fire (Flight generally appears to land on time from EZE based on last couple weeks data)
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you will have two bookings with flights that have overlapping times? I'm not sure that is a wise idea. (By the way, this is different from nested ticketing as those bookings do not involve being booked on two flights that are in the air at that same time).

AA canceled my hold [overlapping bookings]
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
So you will have two bookings with flights that have overlapping times? I'm not sure that is a wise idea. (By the way, this is different from nested ticketing as those bookings do not involve being booked on two flights that are in the air at that same time).

AA canceled my hold [overlapping bookings]

Sorry, my fault. I should have been more clear.
  • Award Ticket: EZE - MIA lands at 5:09 AM EST Connecting to MIA - LGA 5:30 PM - 844 PM
  • Revenue Ticket: MIA - MCO 6:50 AM EST - 8:01 AM EST
So the flights won't be in the air at the same time but the revenue flight would happen during the layover in the award ticket. Thoughts?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:42 pm

• Award Ticket: EZE - MIA lands at 5:09 AM EST Connecting to MIA - LGA 5:30 PM - 844 PM
So the flights won't be in the air at the same time but the revenue flight would happen during the layover in the award ticket. Thoughts?
Sounds okay to me: Your separate-ticket connection to MCO meets the MIA I-to-D MCT of 1:35, and then it's definitely physically possible to get back to MIA in time for your same-ticket connection to LGA. So the itinerary is unusual but legit. You may even be protected by AA to MCO if the flight from EZE is late, as they do protect on separate tickets (probably not intended for trying to squeeze in a separate flight at a connecting point, but the fact is you meet MCT).

If you're EXP then the obvious action would be to drop MIA-LGA from the award.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:58 pm

Book the award ticket. A few days later, book the revenue ticket. If anyone asks (... but they won't) just say your plans changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.