Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Checking an AA PNR / record locator using checkmytrip.com / Amadeus (consolidated)

Checking an AA PNR / record locator using checkmytrip.com / Amadeus (consolidated)

Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP

I have booked my first award ticket on AA. Is there any way I can get the PNR to access details of my booking on checkmytrip.com?

The 6 letter booking reference (or "Record Locator") given to me by AA when I booked the ticket seems specific to accessing the booking on the AA website.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Disclaimer - I do not know the answer to this - but, I have to ask:

Maybe I'm being naive - but it seems to me you can get all the info you need on AA.com. Why would you need Amadeus/checkmytrip?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:21 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Hmm...I could be wrong, but I thought AA uses SABRE - there wouldn't be an Amadeus PNR.

I've only been able to use checkmytrip when my itinerary happens to have a segment operated by an airline that uses Amadeus (like BA)...
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Nope, if all your flights are on AA, then you would only have a SABRE record locator, which cannot be used on checkmytrip.com

Virtuallythere.com is usually for SABRE records, but cannot pull up AA-prime PNRs for some reason, unless created by a travel agency on SABRE. I never understood the logic behind that one...
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Thanks for the responses and confirmation that it can't be done.

Before this, I didn't know about Amadeus/SABRE and so that information is particularly useful (a mod changed the thread title and added the bit about Amadeus). I hadn't even appreciated there were different systems.

snczzz - you're right that I may not access anymore useful information by looking at checkmytrip.com. However (and I appreciate it's a minor point), I store all my upcoming flights on an iPhone app which uses checkmytrip.com to get the flight information so it's more of a convenience thing for me.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
Hmm...I could be wrong, but I thought AA uses SABRE - there wouldn't be an Amadeus PNR.
You're half right, apparently. AA does use SABRE for all of its flights. Interestingly enough it appears that AA's foreign sites actually redirect to amadeus.com for booking. My guess would be that AA uses SABRE for domestic and then publishes inventory to Amadeus for international-originating passengers?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Doghound
You're half right, apparently. AA does use SABRE for all of its flights. Interestingly enough it appears that AA's foreign sites actually redirect to amadeus.com for booking. My guess would be that AA uses SABRE for domestic and then publishes inventory to Amadeus for international-originating passengers?
It's a little more complex than that. Outside of the US, AA's website services are hosted by Amadeus and its booking platform, but the websites are connected directly to SABRE via an API connection. So the appearance and functionality of the website is Amadeus, but the actual booking goes into SABRE.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by denCSA
It's a little more complex than that. Outside of the US, AA's website services are hosted by Amadeus and its booking platform, but the websites are connected directly to SABRE via an API connection. So the appearance and functionality of the website is Amadeus, but the actual booking goes into SABRE.
Interesting. So is the reverse true, too? Meaning, if I'm on aa.com and I want to book a ba flight (codeshare or not), does AA's SABRE make a connection to BA's Amadeus engine for real time inventory?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: ExPlt 2011; AA LT PLT 2.337MM
Checkout worldmate. I've used it for bus and pleasure and find it very useful. It will import flight and hotel and auto reservations with an email from your registered account or the airline, etc. Plus it has weather and currency converter and more. Blackberry, iPhone, and android versions.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I use TripIt.com for the same purposes - apps for various flavours of smart phones exist, and I find it very handy. There's a free version and a "pro" version for $. I can forward my itineraries, car rental bookings, hotel ressies, etc. and it accommodates them nicely - and updates flight changes, etc. including sending me notices with gate information, etc.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Doghound
Interesting. So is the reverse true, too? Meaning, if I'm on aa.com and I want to book a ba flight (codeshare or not), does AA's SABRE make a connection to BA's Amadeus engine for real time inventory?
Well, now that's another type of connection. Basically, if you book anything through AA.com (US-based) on another carrier it's going to poll the availability and sell in SABRE, then transmit and receive information to/from the other carrier to confirm and then ticket the reservation. So in that case you'd have a SABRE locator for the ENTIRE journey, as well as an Amadeus locator for the BA flight (with the AA flight data added in the Amadeus locator for informational purposes only).

That's the basic, basic explanation. I use the free version of Tripit to track everything and it does a great job for that purpose.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
I am bumping an old thread because I have a related question (a long story, thanks for your patience). A few days ago I book my first-ever flights on AA (I used the AA own website located in Spain). The route is Barcelona-MIA-LIM-an airport in Peru (the last flight is operated by LAN and booked as an LA flight) / an airport in Chile (LA coded and operated flight)-SCL-MIA-Barcelona. The booking class is O on all sectors.

I checked the flight reservation on the Spanish AA website yesterday. Note that this website directs you to an Amadeus-platform website (http://americanairlines.eu.amadeus.com/), unlike the US AA page, which is at https://www.aa.com/reservation/findR...HomePage=true#. It showed all the AA flights as confirmed, but the LAN flights were listed as "have cancelled", with the note "The following warning(s) occured. Please note that the Airline has cancelled one or more of your selected flights. Please modify your reservation, or contact your travel agent for further information. (9115)". When I looked up the flights on the US website, only the AA sectors were listed, whereas the LAN flights disappeared. Interestingly, when I checked the reservation on the LAN website, all the LAN flights were there, but LAN converted my AA PNR into a different one, which is a little strange given that both AA and LAN use Sabre, so one may wonder about a reason for assigning two different PNRs to the same reservation in the same reservation system. I can also look up the reservation on virtuallythere using the LAN PNR but not when using the AA PNR (then I get the note "Itinerary view is not allowed for this Airline, please contact your travel arranger").

I call AA. The helpful agent initially cannot see any LAN flights in my reservation, but afterwards manages to find them. She says she didn't know why the flights got dropped from the reservation and reissues the ticket, which now gets a new ticket number. The US AA website now lists my LAN flights again, but the Spanish Amadeus-based AA websites still shows them as cancelled. Interestingly and confusingly, when I look up the booking on lan.com or virtuallythere, the LAN-operated flights are listed twice, as if they had been booked twice. After a few hours, the situation comes back to what it was, the LAN flights disappear from US AA reservation page again, the Amadeus AA portal still lists them as cancelled, but they do appear on lan.com and virtuallythere, this time listed just once and not twice. I call AA again and they say that the ticket is still being reissued and don't really understand the situation.

I find it very strange that some of my flights get dropped from the reservation and AA cannot successfully add them to the reservation that they created themselves (they still show up on lan.com). Should I ask AA to issue the ticket again and hope that they are successful this time, or is it just a problem with the AA website?

Thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:29 am

Booking does not appear on Checkmytrip

Hi all,
I made a booking this morning on AA.com. At first it showed as ''ticket pending'' but a few hours later I looked up the record locator again and it said ''ticketed.'' It allowed me to print out the receipt online but I did not received an eticket via email. I also cannot locate the booking on Check My Trip. Is this normal? I called AA and the agent said he can see payment has been taken and it has been ticketed with ticket numbers beginning 001-
Also I can see the payment pending on the credit card I used so everything seems correct, just weird I did not receive the email and am unable to check on CMT.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
AA uses Sabre as its reservation system, and only bookings made in Amadeus can be displayed on checkmytrip. You won't be able to look up a booking made on aa.com on checkmytrip.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
AA uses Sabre as its reservation system, and only bookings made in Amadeus can be displayed on checkmytrip. You won't be able to look up a booking made on aa.com on checkmytrip.
Thank you so much! I was thinking there was a problem and there of course isn't. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.