Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can't check in online (OLCI) for int'l., mixed carrier etc. itinerary (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2016, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Check in online (OLCI) for an international and/or a mixed carrier itinerary

OLCI may be inhibited for flights over 24 hours out.

OLCI may be inhibited for final destinations you must have a visa for.

OLCI may be inhibited by some other destinations, even when a visa is not necessary, e.g. Hong Kong.

OLCI may be inhibited when you have a mixed carrier itinerary or codeshare.

OLCI is not available at all airports.
Print Wikipost

Can't check in online (OLCI) for int'l., mixed carrier etc. itinerary (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by af fp
Are you sure? I have seen cases on other airlines where being able to check in or not depended on nationality/resident status because the airline had not been able to clear security issues online, although it very well knew how to clear those at the counter.

As was said earlier, AA is very late in this game, they could be more focussed on client service.
Yes, I'm sure. I couldn't OLCI my last international flight, and I'm American
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
There are plenty of reasons it sometimes doesn't work, that have nothing to do with the traveler's national origin. I couldn't check in online for my last international flight, and it was because my ultimate destination was BLR and I had to show my India visa at the counter.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:03 pm

I suppose if you wanted to avoid going to the airport you could purchase the tickets separately and check in for the domestic leg at home and ask them to link the PNR's as connecting when you get there. I used to do that before they allowed us to check in online for international departures to non rev.
Otherwise, you could do what I sometimes do and just drive to the airport 24 hours ahead of time, park outside for a minute, run your passport through, get your tickets and leave.

I guess it all depends how necessary your upgrade is. When I have to be on a list I tend to obsess.

Last edited by AAFA; Apr 8, 2011 at 8:10 pm
Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:40 am

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
I was able to check in online from New Delhi on Apr. 7th, but I couldn't check in on the flight from US.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:57 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
This can also be due to having an Unassigned Seat or a pending Award Upgrade request. It's not always a security issue.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:41 am

End of the story:
A few more attempts, no OLCI. Showed up at LGA for first flight, swiped passport in machine, unhappy AA pod came after 10mns and validated my documents, BP printed.

For the return from YUL, no OLCI, and the booking did not show my flight either... called AA, they told me to just show up at airport. I did, swiped my passport, no need to talk to a pod (this at least is good), BP printed.

Overall: way to go...

The flights were smooth so AA is not 100% bad, just not great. No news here.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: AA PLT (1MM), DL PLT
While sometimes it does not work, today it did for my early morning flight tomorrow. Email from AA, link to AA which then redirected to BA, BA check-in worked...

I wrote a note to web services thanking them for their continued efforts to improve. Previously, a very similar itinerary failed for IOLCI.

When it does not, I also let them know so that they have some idea about the bugs remaining.
Old May 2, 2011, 6:17 pm

ANyone having problem checking online for international flight?

I try entering my passport info in order to check in for an international flight. Reject all three entries. Now I am lock out of online check in. Anyone else having the same issue tonight?
Old May 2, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by qazw1
I try entering my passport info in order to check in for an international flight. Reject all three entries. Now I am lock out of online check in. Anyone else having the same issue tonight?
Nope - I checked in for one a couple of hours ago and it worked fine.
Old May 2, 2011, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
Nope - I checked in for one a couple of hours ago and it worked fine.
Thanks - I must have messed up something. Oh well.
Old May 4, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver, dabbling in USAirways
I just tried to check in online for an international flight and it told me I would have to check in at the airport in person because my travel documents don't match (never had this problem before). I called AA to try and rectify the problem today before tomorrow's flight to avoid going to the counter in person. I was told, and I quote "Um, haha. Yeah. Sometimes that happens in the system. You'll have to check-in at the counter tomorrow."
Old May 4, 2011, 9:14 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I learned thorough numerous phone calls that if you purchase your ticket through some third party providers ( in my case American Express) then the way their computers interact with AAs will create a situation that will not allow on line check in. In my case here is what I understand happened: Amex enters my first and middle name in their system, they enter my Advantage number, issue my ticket and send the information to AA. AA's system then puts my first and middle name in the first name field, pulls my middle name from my AA secure flight information data and the system shows my name as first name, middle name, middle name, last name. I spoke to a handful of agents at the exec plat desk and web services and they all said that the name on my ticket is correct, my secure flight info is correct but my middle name is doubled up on Aa.com. The end result is no OLCI. I emailed customer relations and they reviewed my ticket and told me the name is correct and will not be a problem except internally with AA. American Express must issue a lot of AA tickets and you would think that the two of them would have worked this out by now.
Old May 4, 2011, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Mazey
I just tried to check in online for an international flight and it told me I would have to check in at the airport in person because my travel documents don't match (never had this problem before). I called AA to try and rectify the problem today before tomorrow's flight to avoid going to the counter in person. I was told, and I quote "Um, haha. Yeah. Sometimes that happens in the system. You'll have to check-in at the counter tomorrow."
I don't think you have to go a counter. I was able to check in with one of the self-service machine.
Old May 13, 2011, 6:42 am
DKM

Check-in worked, but...

I've been waitlisted forever for an upgrade (miles+copay) PHL-DFW-FRA. At exactly 24 hours ahead of PHL departure, I checked my reservation and was able to check-in online. I was expecting a page asking if I wanted to be added to the airport upgrade waitlist (as happens for domestic flights), but it didn't appear. I printed the boarding passes and called about getting on the airport upgrade waitlist and was told that that's not the way it works for international flights - that the waitlist remains from when the ticket was purchased. I didn't argue, but has the process changed? In this case, it probably doesn't matter as Business is sold out, but I'd like to know for the future.
Old May 13, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: AA PLT (1MM), DL PLT
Last week, my IOLCI failed.

AA.com properly re-directed me to BA.com for the check-in, but this time BA could not process it. Getting to the airport (MUC) early for my 7:00 AM flight, the BA kiosk also did not work. Thankfully, and unusually, there were few people in line for the TAs, and there were three TAs instead of only one working, so I received my boarding passes quickly.

Last month, this worked on the same flight. Differences this time include AA already having cleared my Y to J EVIP, and an (electronic) rail segment on the return leg.

I doubt that IOLCI will be working tomorrow for my next flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.