Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can't check in online (OLCI) for int'l., mixed carrier etc. itinerary (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2016, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Check in online (OLCI) for an international and/or a mixed carrier itinerary

OLCI may be inhibited for flights over 24 hours out.

OLCI may be inhibited for final destinations you must have a visa for.

OLCI may be inhibited by some other destinations, even when a visa is not necessary, e.g. Hong Kong.

OLCI may be inhibited when you have a mixed carrier itinerary or codeshare.

OLCI is not available at all airports.
Print Wikipost

Can't check in online (OLCI) for int'l., mixed carrier etc. itinerary (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Are there any visa requirements for the destination? Any chance there is a difference in names on the rez and documents?

These may prevent OLCI and require someone to validate documents. Plan a little extra time at the airport just in case.
While it doesn't appear OP is entering any visa-required countries, this has certainly been my experience when traveling to countries with such a requirement. Airlines can be subject to large fines if they let a visa-less pax fly. Visa verification at airport check-in is the catch-point.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I've never been able to OLCI on mixed AA-BA itineraries, who knows why. I just plan that it's not going to happen. If ever I am able to OLCI on a mixed AA-BA itinerary, I will be shocked.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
No plans to enter any country that requires a visa.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Frustration of Denied OLCI with Mixed AA - AS Itinerary

I am flying ANC/SEA today on AS and then SEA/DFW, DFW/MIA on AA. I tried OLCI (and mobile/kiosk) checking in for my AA flights but aa.com tells me that I must first check in with AS. Of course I already have. The AA counter at ANC is closed and the EXP desk can't help. IIRC this problem was occurring before with mixed AA/US itineraries and only an actual agent could check you in. Anyone know of a workaround? AS gave me its BP for my AA flights but I'm not sure that actually checked me in with AA.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
If you have a BP, you are by definition checked in.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Code share OLCI inhibited?

This is my first time with a LA ticket (on 045 ticket stock) where the first segment is on AA (LA codeshare). I have the AA conf. #, all my data is in the AA res, it is viewable on the website and on the app and offers check in, and it won't let me check in (even after verifying passport info again).

(The LAN website will not permit me to check in for the AA segment either.)

Is this a common thing, or am I just "special."
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
My trip tomorrow wasn’t mixed, it was DCA->DFW->LHR, all AA metal. I could not check in online this afternoon.I hadn’t done a TATL since last summer. I tried checkin on the mobile app - no joy. Went online same story. While still online, updated settings with my same US Passport info as before. I shut down the safari browser and 2 minutes later checked successfully in on the mobile iPhone app.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AATrout
My trip tomorrow wasn’t mixed, it was DCA->DFW->LHR, all AA metal. I could not check in online this afternoon.I hadn’t done a TATL since last summer. I tried checkin on the mobile app - no joy. Went online same story. While still online, updated settings with my same US Passport info as before. I shut down the safari browser and 2 minutes later checked successfully in on the mobile iPhone app.
Thanks. Had similar problems with LAS-ORD-YUL. Couldn't check-in on iOS or on desktop. Went back to desktop and changed my passport expiration year to a fake year and saved. Updated back to original expiration year and saved. Was able to checkin iOS immediately.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
OLCI Possible for Canada?

Hi,
First time flying AA to Canada (MCO-LAX-YVR). Is it possible to OLCI without having to go to the ticket counter on the day of departure? Thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:15 am

Unless there is some problem with your passport details there should be no reason for you to stop at the ticket counter for this. OLCI for a US to Canada flight has always worked the same as other flights for me. You can print your boarding pass and go straight to bag drop or security.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by peter1962
Unless there is some problem with your passport details there should be no reason for you to stop at the ticket counter for this. OLCI for a US to Canada flight has always worked the same as other flights for me. You can print your boarding pass and go straight to bag drop or security.
Although if passport hasn't been previously verified must stop at counter or gate podium to have it verified so BP will read DOCS-OK.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
Could not OLCI for an itinerary that ended up in HKG (JFK/DFW/LAX/HKG) and spoke to the desk staff when I got to the airport.

She definitely thought I needed a visa to enter Hong Kong from what it sounded like, I think she had to look it up on Timatic, but I ended up explaining to her that HKG did not, but mainland China does (and showed her my Chinese visa anyways)...

... so we're presuming that AA has coded OLCI badly and it registers HKG as China, and not a SAR not requiring visas for US Passport holders?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: AA EP
Been this way for years.

Originally Posted by dp4m
Could not OLCI for an itinerary that ended up in HKG (JFK/DFW/LAX/HKG) and spoke to the desk staff when I got to the airport.

She definitely thought I needed a visa to enter Hong Kong from what it sounded like, I think she had to look it up on Timatic, but I ended up explaining to her that HKG did not, but mainland China does (and showed her my Chinese visa anyways)...

... so we're presuming that AA has coded OLCI badly and it registers HKG as China, and not a SAR not requiring visas for US Passport holders?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Can't check-in on-line for AA flight on BA ticket

Bought a J ticket (I, to be precise) from BA on an all AA metal roundtrip to Europe, to take advantage of the AARP discount.

Everything fine on outbound: Went to aa.com, checked in under AA PNR.

Now trying to check-in on-line for return home tomorrow. At aa.com, I am sent to ba.com. At ba.com I am sent to aa.com. Ditto with spouse's ticket, which is a separate PNR.

Called local AA number. Got a bunch of nonsense about ticket stock. I say it is nonsense because were it true ("You have to check in via ba.com!), then (a) how was it I could check in on aa.com on outbound?; and (b) why is ba.com, even with their PNR, pushing me back to aa.com? Went around on this for a while, then asked to be transferred to Executive Platinum desk.

Executive Platinum desk could not give me a straight story either. Lots of stuff that was internally inconsistent (see above). Asked to be transferred to aa.com web support.

Here things got interesting. After being assured that nothing was wrong with my (our) reservation(s), I was told that this was not the first time (today?) that the aa.com rep had heard about this. The rep further told me, unbidden, that on the aa.com website, what showed as "Operated by Marketed By British Airways" was the problem: That of course it should say "Operated by American Airlines, Marketed By British Airways," and the fact that it didn't was indicative of a (systemwide?) glitch that is current for those of us trying to check-in on-line for AA flights using (at least, but probably other airlines, too) BA ticket stock.

Groovy. If someone doesn't fix it soon, means must check-in at airport, which is always fun (i.e., makes you have to leave for airport that much sooner).

Anyone else seeing this?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
There are similar reports over on the BA forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-operated.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.