Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Non-Revenue Space Available and Related AA Travel

NOTE: Non-revenue passengers no longer have to abide by a dress code, merely appear neat and clean, not offensive - same as revenue passengers. July 2017.
Print Wikipost

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2010, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
[*]I assume that deadheading flight staff travels on a positive, non-bump-able basis. What are the classifications for them, and for non-fight-staff employees traveling on official company business (by company business, I include (as examples) employees such as a VP from Corporate HQ traveling to a meeting at the DOT in Washington, an HR manager traveling to a continuing education seminar, a computer technician traveling to install hardware or software at an AA facility, or a job applicant flying to an interview, etc, etc). Are any or all of the above subject to bumping? Can any or all of the above upgrade, once all eligible revenue passengers been upgraded?

Thanks!
Most people don't understand that there is a very big difference between "deadheading" and "commuting." Staff that commute (principally pilots and FAs) must use D2 passes. Staff that deadhead get a higher classification than D. I really don't think it's appropriate to go into those details here, because if you're someone who deadheads or travels on other company business, you know the story; if you're not, you simply don't need to know.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by allga
Most people don't understand that there is a very big difference between "deadheading" and "commuting." Staff that commute (principally pilots and FAs) must use D2 passes. Staff that deadhead get a higher classification than D.
Actually, FTers as a group are quite well-versed in the significant difference between deadheading and commuting - the valued AA staff members who participate in this forum have been instrumental in assuring that we do understand

I really don't think it's appropriate to go into those details here, because if you're someone who deadheads or travels on other company business, you know the story; if you're not, you simply don't need to know.
Fair enough - no one should expect you to breach confidentiality (or even common-sense caution). That kind of information is posted in other fora for other carriers, but I understand personal reticence.

I asked about this in the interest of making the Wiki (and the general level of knowledge on FT) as complete as possible, not out of abject curiosity. As you may know, many of us are hoping that AA might someday give an American version of Continental's "PDA Tool", which allows anyone with a wireless device to see the current status of an individual flight's standby and upgrade list. Being aware of things like deadheading might help a revenue flyer who is standing by for an earlier flight, understand why uniformed crew were given seats and they were left behind at the gate.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:38 pm

Well, I suppose you're right that a larger percentage of people who haunt these boards are more familiar with the arcane ins and outs of the airline business than the general population. Yet so much of what I read by some of these self-styled pundits is, charitably, nonsense.

Reading these boards I generally get the feeling that far too many people are far too much into the weeds on this stuff for their own good, or anybody else's. On the other hand, the fact that some road warriors seem to spend an awful lot of time thinking about every obscure detail of the airline business is their business, not mine. Still, sometimes I wonder how they have the time to be road warriors.

I wrote a long post earlier today because this string had become a rambling, incoherent, and sometimes inaccurate mish-mash, and because a great number of people might have a friend or relative working for the airline who could at some point offer them a pass or try to work out a discount for them.

As a parent of an employee, I have a general idea of how employee business travel works, but I have no interest in rooting out the details or in publishing them here. I also withheld some details about how D-pass flying works, simply because there's no need to know them until you get to list for NRSA, at which time they will be explained to you.

This isn't about being mysterious or "I know something you don't." It's just that sometimes less is more.

Just one opinion.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:02 pm

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
There is no such thing as a personal travel discount of 50% for AA employees. It simply does not exist.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by FoothillFlyer
There is no such thing as a personal travel discount of 50% for AA employees. It simply does not exist.
You are correct. All I am seeing is ID75, ID90, AA20 and ZED.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by dstan
Thank you allga for your detailed post! ^ I also found an example of an AA Trip Book posted online.

Based on the information there and in several other FT threads, I've started this new wiki page, that everyone is welcome to contribute to:

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...ravel_%28AA%29
And thank you dstan for the wiki page.

NRSA Dress Code
. . .
Not Acceptable in Any Cabin
. . .
. . .provocative/revealing/see-through clothing. . .
In my experience, this is not always enforced out of CDG, not that I would complain, mind you.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:17 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by skylady
I am not seeing any distinction between business and personal travel in the ID travel section. The same eligibility applies to the ZED fares as well. {Zonal Employee Discount}
ID50 and ID75 are mentioned specifically under Business Travel as being restricted to company business. However, ID75 is also listed, along with ID90 and ZED, in the Discounts on OAL chart pertaining to personal travel. Thus, I did a bit of interpolation to suggest that ID75 tickets may be for either business or personal travel, although perhaps not necessarily on the same airline, depending on the interline agreements.

Business Travel on Other Airlines (Page 57 of the example Trip Book)

American has negotiated reciprocal reduced rate agreements with Other Airlines (OAL) for Company business travel. These agreements permit the employees of each of the parties to travel on flights operated by OAL at discounted rates, generally at discounts of 50% (ID50) or 75% (ID75) of the transporting airline's unrestricted published fares.

ID50 tickets are positive space and allow the employee to book space through Sabre, usually in any cabin. ID75 tickets are space available and also usually permit travel in any cabin. These discounts can be applied when travel is for the sole purpose of conducting business for American or American Eagle. Note: ID90, Zonal Employee Discount (ZED), and similar passes are for personal travel only and may not be used for travel to conduct business on behalf of AA/American Eagle or another thrid party business.
Travel Discounts on Other Airlines (Page 27 of the example Trip Book)

This chart provides a summary of personal travel privileges on Other Airlines (OAL), also called "OAL", "interline", "ID", or "ZED" travel.
Then there are several ID75 tickets listed in the chart - for example, the very first entry in the chart on Page 29, Africa / SA Airlink - as well as, of course, ID90 and ZED.

Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:33 am

• I assume that deadheading flight staff travels on a positive, non-bump-able basis. What are the classifications for them, and for non-fight-staff employees traveling on official company business (by company business, I include (as examples) employees such as a VP from Corporate HQ traveling to a meeting at the DOT in Washington, an HR manager traveling to a continuing education seminar, a computer technician traveling to install hardware or software at an AA facility, or a job applicant flying to an interview, etc, etc). Are any or all of the above subject to bumping? Can any or all of the above upgrade, once all eligible revenue passengers been upgraded?
I think most of this is covered in the Business Travel section starting on page 53 of the Trip Book example (although deadheading is not mentioned explicitly in the examples there).
(page 54) Once you have a confirmed coach seat, you may request an upgrade at the time of check-in. You will be placed on the Priority List in order of pass classification: A1, A3, A10, A11, etc., and accommodated in the premium cabins after all revenue passenger requests have been accommodated.
(page 55) If you check in on time and cannot be issued a boarding pass, you will be placed on the Priority List as an oversale, just like our revenue passengers.

If the flight is oversold, agents may ask for volunteers. If your travel plans are flexible, think about volunteering to give up your seat - you wil be confirmed on the next available flight. It will help the agent with their job but more importantly, it will give our customers what they value.

If the agent is unable to get enough volunteers, you may be involuntarily denied boarding just like our revenue passengers, but you will be confirmed on the next available flight. Denied boarding compensation does not apply.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I think most of this is covered in the Business Travel section starting on page 53 of the Trip Book example (although deadheading is not mentioned explicitly in the examples there).
(Sound of palm hitting forehead) You're absolutely correct (somehow, i missed your clear, easy-to-spot link to the Trip Book)

As an excuse, I will offer your choice of a) advancing old age; or b) starting an early celebration of the free booze in the Admirals Clubs

And let me second Landing Gear in thanking you for your efforts ^
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: My views are strictly my own and do not reflect the views of any company.
AA's non rev agreement with QF does not allow D3 fliers. You have to be D2 or above.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
[*]I assume that deadheading flight staff travels on a positive, non-bump-able basis. What are the classifications for them, and for non-fight-staff employees traveling on official company business (by company business, I include (as examples) employees such as a VP from Corporate HQ traveling to a meeting at the DOT in Washington, an HR manager traveling to a continuing education seminar, a computer technician traveling to install hardware or software at an AA facility, or a job applicant flying to an interview, etc, etc).
Non revenue positive space (NRPS) travel generally uses "A" codes based on priority and is confirmed (takes a seat out of inventory, the lower priorities of NRPS travel require E class to be available while Y can be overbooked for some of the higher priorities that have operational impact).

I may be wrong on the precise order of the codes but I believe that highest priority A1 would be for crew members deadheading to cover a trip. There is a distinction from crew members deadheading back to base following the completion of a trip; these are lower priority A3 I believe. A1/A3 NRPS only applies to crew that are deadheading as part of their work assignment; voluntary commuting between home and base is NRSA, not NRPS; it's on the employees own dime and time and is strictly space available standby (D2 or D1).

Other NRPS priority codes would be used for upper management and officers that get unlimited positive space travel. Based on level in the company this could be (I think) A2-A6 with a B or P designator after depending on whether the travel is personal or official company business. I believe that Managing Directors and up that are eligible for NRPS for personal travel are allowed to confirm F/J class if it's available. Nice perk! Aim for being at least an MD if you work for AA!

"Normal" management employees traveling on official company business are A10 (level 5/6 management) or A11 (level 1-4 management) and non-management employees on official company business are A12. A10-A12 confirm coach when E class is available and can standby for an upgrade. They show up on the priority list as UPGE and only get their upgrade after all revenue upgrades clear.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 4:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by allga
As an eligible AA family member (parent), and regular pass flyer, this string boggles the mind. Yes, there are some factually correct things in it, but the amount of misinformation, outdated information, conjecture, guesses, opinions (sometimes uninformed) and wild-eyed ranting make these posts a definite caveat emptor proposition.

<snip>

2. <snip> D2P is next in priority and is for the parents of the employee.
Outstanding post. I will just add that furloughed employees also travel on D2P priority.

Some follow-up questions, the answers to which might be germane to the Wiki page:
  • Does the AA employee (whether traveling on her/his own passes or giving one to a guest) ever have to pay federal imputed income tax on a percentage of the value of a pass?

Thanks!
3) Only on D3 and if the service charges are < fair market value (Trip Book)
D3 passengers are generally not subject to paying federal imputed income tax because in most cases the service charge on the D3 ticket is the same as the fair market value of the trip.

Domestic partners, registered companions and furloughed employees are subject to paying federal imputed income tax on the values of their trips.

Take a look at page 118 of the aforementioned Trip Book.

Originally Posted by dawizard
Can ID90 be used by family of employee or is that restricted to employee and immediate family only?
That depends on the interline agreement. I have never seen that benefit extended beyond spouse, children and occasionally parents.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 23, 2010 at 5:07 pm Reason: clarification & syntax
Old Sep 23, 2010, 5:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Why doesn't you neice just use a D3 pass for you which is a lot less then 50%..
Can D3's even be used on non-AA metal? I thought all inter-line travel were on ZED fares?

EDIT TO ADD: A little embarrassed by committing a newbie mistake and quoting a post way early in the thread asking a question/making a point that had been answered, debated, flamed, and re-confirmed multiple times over for many, many posts after mine. It's been a long day.

Last edited by RChavez; Sep 23, 2010 at 6:42 pm
Old Sep 23, 2010, 5:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by RChavez
Can D3's even be used on non-AA metal?
D3 passes can only be used on AA and AX.

I thought all inter-line travel were on ZED fares?
Actually it is on ZED and ID fares.

Pilots can "jumpseat" in the cockpit on most other airlines. Generally, they will be accommodated in the passenger cabin if space is available.

Some airlines extend "jumpseat" privileges to flight attendants; however, on most OAL they will not be permitted to occupy an actual flight attendant jump seat.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:47 am

Not important, but what are Appendix T / Article 30 flight attendants? Just curious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.