Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Non-Revenue Space Available and Related AA Travel

NOTE: Non-revenue passengers no longer have to abide by a dress code, merely appear neat and clean, not offensive - same as revenue passengers. July 2017.
Print Wikipost

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Old May 21, 2019, 3:32 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jayer
Now if the employer is flying you as a D-something, or lower, non-rev on their business; then something IS wrong.
If the trip shows in the regular AA app - as opposed to the employees JetAway app, which I doubt the OP has - it's an A pass.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Very normal for AA and affiliated companies to provide positive space non-rev travel.

Based on information the OP has provided, he's not flying on a D-something status.

If you have trouble checking in, don't use the term non-rev -- tell the airport folks you have Positive Space Travel for a meeting (perhaps an interview ..) but since you're not an employee you don't have the employee app.
DCP2016 likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by TWA884
You have a positive space pass; that's why the flights show in your AA app. I have no idea why the first leg is not there; is it on AA or an American Airlines numbered flight on one of its regional carriers? If not, that's a possible explanation.

Do not use the app to check in, just follow the instructions you were given by your new employer.
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Very normal for AA and affiliated companies to provide positive space non-rev travel.

Based on information the OP has provided, he's not flying on a D-something status.

If you have trouble checking in, don't use the term non-rev -- tell the airport folks you have Positive Space Travel for a meeting (perhaps an interview ..) but since you're not an employee you don't have the employee app.

Thanks for the info! I'm new to all of this but this is definitely a "positive space pass", I recognize that from the language HR told me. The first leg of the flight is operated by PSA Airlines, so that might have something to do with it as the mainline AA segments show up fine. I'm sure all will be resolved tomorrow morning. And correct, I am not a full employee as of yet so I don't have access to the special apps/programs.

Yeah I haven't bothered listening to the AA notifications and will wait until the airport to check-in. Thanks both of you for clarifying everything!
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:33 am

D3 and Paid Ticket at Sametime?

Hi Everyone,

I am on the standby list as a D3, for the possible upgrade to 1st and I also have a paid ticket for the main cabin, didn't want to miss my flight. It appears my flight out should be okay for upgrades under the D3 but the flights back are nearly full and my paid ticket may be needed.

Any thoughts on this? I am wondering how to avoid any issues AA may have with this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by sman83
Hi Everyone,

I am on the standby list as a D3, for the possible upgrade to 1st and I also have a paid ticket for the main cabin, didn't want to miss my flight. It appears my flight out should be okay for upgrades under the D3 but the flights back are nearly full and my paid ticket may be needed.

Any thoughts on this? I am wondering how to avoid any issues AA may have with this.
Holding a confirmed ticket and standing by on an employee non rev pass on the same flight is not permitted. The employee who gave you the D3 buddy pass would be responsible should this be caught. Personally I wouldnt risk it and just use the confirmed ticket and cancel the non rev listing. Talk to the relative or employee who gave you the ticket and see if they are ok with you violating non rev employee benefits.

Read this from page 30 something of the 71 page American employee travel handbook.

Last edited by D3Kingg; Oct 6, 2021 at 12:41 pm
Old Oct 6, 2021, 2:40 pm

Agree with D3King. I flew D3 and was messing around with fake bookings to see what the menu would be if I happened to get placed in J on a JFK-LHR root. My Uncle (the AA Employee) called and flipped out on me. Not sure exactly what would/could happen, but the tongue lashing was enough to make sure i wasn't logged in under my AA # in the future, just the act of having the system hold a ticket even though I never completed the transaction or placed it on hold was enough to alert someone.

Last edited by InfrequentFlyer2018; Oct 6, 2021 at 2:54 pm Reason: made sentence clearer
Old Oct 6, 2021, 5:06 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
They crack down with duplicate or speculative bookings pretty hard on the customers now. Staff and their guests doing it is an absolute hard no, regardless of your intentions.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:50 pm

You should request this thread to be deleted immediately, and immediately cancel your D3 booking. Just the act of holding a standby listing and a confirmed ticket at the same time is grounds for the employee permanently losing travel privileges, and possibly termination. Doubly more so if you actually follow through with your plan, because the gate agent will 100% report this behavior.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
You should request this thread to be deleted immediately, and immediately cancel your D3 booking. Just the act of holding a standby listing and a confirmed ticket at the same time is grounds for the employee permanently losing travel privileges, and possibly termination. Doubly more so if you actually follow through with your plan, because the gate agent will 100% report this behavior.
I think its a good question the OP raised but dont see any reason to close this thread as it is American Airlines related . Theres no need to cancel his PNR just not check in and proceed with his confirmed ticket. The problem would occur if someone checked in on an international flight but standed by non rev instead. The gate agents would be paging the passengers name on a PA throughout the airport unable to close the flight before realizing he is on board and non revved. Then he or she would be reported. Depends on the gate agent. Not all people are snitches.

Last edited by D3Kingg; Oct 7, 2021 at 6:49 am
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec. Plat.)
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
I think its a good question the OP raised but dont see any reason to close this thread as it is American Airlines related . Theres no need to cancel his PNR just not check in and proceed with his confirmed ticket. The problem would occur if someone checked in on an international flight but standed by non rev instead. The gate agents would be paging the passengers name on a PA throughout the airport unable to close the flight before realizing he is on board and non revved. Then he or she would be reported. Depends on the gate agent. Not all people are snitches.
The rules referenced clearly state you cannot even make a listing if you hold a confirmed ticket so, yes, the OP is actually in clear violation of his friend's company-provided travel policy. As a former AMR employee, I can assure the OP they take these things quite seriously and even having the duplicate booking is a sign of intended fraud (canceling the revenue ticket in favor of the D3 instead).
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by kszary
The rules referenced clearly state you cannot even make a listing if you hold a confirmed ticket so, yes, the OP is actually in clear violation of his friend's company-provided travel policy. As a former AMR employee, I can assure the OP they take these things quite seriously and even having the duplicate booking is a sign of intended fraud (canceling the revenue ticket in favor of the D3 instead).
They should delete the PNR but as long as they dont check in they would be fine. Do you think all gate agents are out to get other employees in trouble ? Its possible if he boarded with both seats and the gate agent realizes this they might just come on board point a finger and say dont do this ever again. Surely he will then clear the lump in his throat and never do it again.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 7:07 am

A couple things to unpack here:

1. This isn't about the gate agent at all. Just like passengers can't make duplicate bookings, there are automated systems in place at AA to track employee duplicate bookings. I assure you it's not a manual process.
2. How do you expect he's going to board with both seats (assuming SABRE/QIK even let him check in with a duplicate reservation)? Is he going to show both boarding passes to the gate agent?
3. Gate agents aren't responsible for this kind of discipline, and at the end of the day AA doesn't really care about the D3. What they will do, however, is discipline the employee whose benefits the D3 are abusing, which is the point many of us are trying to make here.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 7:21 am

A couple things to unpack here:

at the end of the day AA doesn't really care about the D3.
AA doesn’t care about D3?

I don’t think AA or even flyer talk care about non revs. They don’t affect the bottom line.

But yes there are some abusers out there in regards to the PNR and on certain routes.

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 8, 2021 at 3:04 pm Reason: Removed OT personal exchange
Old Oct 7, 2021, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
at the end of the day AA doesn't really care about the D3. What they will do, however, is discipline the employee whose benefits the D3 are abusing, which is the point many of us are trying to make here.

I don’t think AA or even flyer talk care about non revs. They don’t affect the bottom line.
AA (or any airline, for that matter) definitely does care about nonrevs who cancel paid bookings in lieu of NRSA travel for the same flight. A clear abuse of NRSA benefits. Granted they might not care about the individual D3, but any airline would be very will within their right to - and, quite frankly, should - be disciplining any employee sponsors such behavior.

-FlyerBeek
wetrat0, wrp96, kszary and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 8, 2021 at 3:05 pm Reason: Edited quote of edited post
Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:02 am

But yes there are some abusers out there in regards to the PNR and on certain routes.
You're misinterpreting my comment. I'm saying AA doesn't care about the D3 with regard to potential discipline. It's about the sponsoring employee.

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 8, 2021 at 3:06 pm Reason: Edited quote of edited post & removed response to removed content

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.