Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 21, 19, 3:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Non-Revenue Space Available and Related AA Travel

NOTE: Non-revenue passengers no longer have to abide by a dress code, merely appear neat and clean, not offensive - same as revenue passengers. July 2017.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 19, 10, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
Why doesn't you neice just use a D3 pass for you which is a lot less then 50%..
hello flightnurse, would you be able to tell me what D3 pass is (I'll also attempt to search about it online) but hearing it from you will certainly help a lot. Is this pass available available for everyone or just in specific countries?

I hadn't heard of this option until just now. Is it same in behvaior like I would be on Standby till the flight is boarded and if seats are available at that point I would be allowed in?
Old Sep 19, 10, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
When does it end with these non-revs? Seriously, it seems AA exists just to accomodate them and now FT does too. NRSA counter at JFK T8, LAX, DFW, perhaps others; premium seats for non-revs; 3-class F seat assignments; meals and F/J amenities carried back to them in Y; priority "stand-by" baggage tags; no baggage fees; 888-WEFLYAA; NRSA lounges; what more can the free riders want? Now they want mileage credit! What's next Concierge Key services and Flagship lounge access?

Is FlyerTalk now Non-Revenue Talk? Did it ever occur to the non-revs that some of us voluntarily pay for our tickets?
Old Sep 19, 10, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by dawizard View Post
hello flightnurse, would you be able to tell me what D3 pass is (I'll also attempt to search about it online) but hearing it from you will certainly help a lot. Is this pass available available for everyone or just in specific countries? I hadn't heard of this option until just now. Is it same in behavior like I would be on Standby till the flight is boarded and if seats are available at that point I would be allowed in?
IIRC, a "D-3" is what AA calls a "buddy pass".

Generally, airline employees and their immediate families have direct flight pass benefits (typically spouse, dependent children under 18 and parents, although it varies from airline to airline).

When an employee wishes to "gift" someone who does NOT qualify for direct pass benefits, they give the person a buddy pass. The buddy pass traveler is almost always at the bottom of the boarding priority list, meaning that they are among the first to be bumped (or never seated in the first place).

Example: Years ago, my older brother and I traveled to Mexico City. Because my airline did not give siblings any direct flight benefits, my brother traveled on a buddy pass.
Old Sep 19, 10, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by dawizard View Post
hello flightnurse, would you be able to tell me what D3 pass is (I'll also attempt to search about it online) but hearing it from you will certainly help a lot. Is this pass available available for everyone or just in specific countries?

I hadn't heard of this option until just now. Is it same in behvaior like I would be on Standby till the flight is boarded and if seats are available at that point I would be allowed in?

You will NOT EARN MILES whatsoever when you are flying NON-REV.
Flying Non Rev classification are D1-D2-D3. You will not be flying
D1 or D2 if this is your niece making your arrangements and we skip
those 1st 2 classifications. D3 which you will be classified as is a
registered guest travel pass. We have x amount of guest passengers
we can register for friends and family for those that dont qualify as
D2. You will not be able to fly D3 if i read correctly form your
previous email that you are going to Australia? We dont (AA) fly there.
Yes we have codeshare with Quantas & BA to go to Australia.
But thats for REVENUE passengers and us employees flying ZED.
Non REV D3 can only fly to destinations flown by us mainline (AA)
& Eagle. You can have your niece get you closer to your destination
served by AA, but the rest of the way is your own dime/ her discount/
different airline as in your case. And dont forget? Flying nonrev D1,2,3
YOU MUST BE FLEXIBLE
with your plans!!! You are at the mercy of seating capacity! No seats,
no flight! If your are connecting, I dont even want to go there!
Its one thing flying D3 from LAX to DFW or ORD where you have
X amount of flights a day. But flying D3 where there maybe only
1 to 2 flights a day especially internationally. Flying D3, you are at
the bottom of the priority list so please be aware if you cannot
be flexible wherever your final destination may be! Safe travels
Old Sep 19, 10, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
Is FlyerTalk now Non-Revenue Talk?
I think that nonrev discussions do serve one useful purpose - discerning AA travelers can be assured that, unlike UA, space-available nonrevs are NOT seated until revenue passengers have been accommodated.

Did it ever occur to the non-revs that some of us voluntarily pay for our tickets?
I've been on both sides - in the mid-1990s, I flew over 150k BIS nonrev miles per year, about 90% of that while on company business. And my current status is paid for out of my own pocket, not by my primary employer, so believe me, I understand the concept of "voluntarily paying".
Old Sep 19, 10, 7:50 pm

And you wont be flying first class either on another airline's buddy pass.

And did I mention if the flight is wide open westbound, but the headwinds are strong or there's too much cargo onboard you still might not be given a seat...
Old Sep 19, 10, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev View Post
I think that nonrev discussions do serve one useful purpose - discerning AA travelers can be assured that, unlike UA, space-available nonrevs are NOT seated until revenue passengers have been accommodated.

I've been on both sides - in the mid-1990s, I flew over 150k BIS nonrev miles per year, about 90% of that while on company business. And my current status is paid for out of my own pocket, not by my primary employer, so believe me, I understand the concept of "voluntarily paying".
Well you should that the #1 rule of non-revenue policies is that they are not to be used for business or commercial purposes.
Old Sep 19, 10, 8:16 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Well you should that the #1 rule of non-revenue policies is that they are not to be used for business or commercial purposes.
Except for AA business.
Old Sep 19, 10, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

When does it end with these non-revs? Seriously, it seems AA exists just to accomodate them and now FT does too. NRSA counter at JFK T8, LAX, DFW, perhaps others; premium seats for non-revs; 3-class F seat assignments; meals and F/J amenities carried back to them in Y; priority "stand-by" baggage tags; no baggage fees; 888-WEFLYAA; NRSA lounges; what more can the free riders want? Now they want mileage credit! What's next Concierge Key services and Flagship lounge access?

Is FlyerTalk now Non-Revenue Talk? Did it ever occur to the non-revs that some of us voluntarily pay for our tickets?
Wow...so much anger....sounds like you think NRSA should not be there because you can't access it?

Anyway I have always paid for my flights and premium price that too. And I don't think I "demanded" mileage in my post, my first time trying it and no I don't feel bad about taking away from your experience.

Sorry you feel this way and to bring up NRSA on FlyerTalk, I didn't realize it was only a board for paying ticket holders. Thanks for your constructive feedback nonetheless.
Old Sep 19, 10, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

IIRC, a "D-3" is what AA calls a "buddy pass".

Generally, airline employees and their immediate families have direct flight pass benefits (typically spouse, dependent children under 18 and parents, although it varies from airline to airline).

When an employee wishes to "gift" someone who does NOT qualify for direct pass benefits, they give the person a buddy pass. The buddy pass traveler is almost always at the bottom of the boarding priority list, meaning that they are among the first to be bumped (or never seated in the first place).
Originally Posted by ORD & LAS View Post
You will NOT EARN MILES whatsoever when you are flying NON-REV.
Flying Non Rev classification are D1-D2-D3. You will not be flying
D1 or D2 if this is your niece making your arrangements and we skip
those 1st 2 classifications. D3 which you will be classified as is a
registered guest travel pass. We have x amount of guest passengers
we can register for friends and family for those that dont qualify as
D2. You will not be able to fly D3 if i read correctly form your
previous email that you are going to Australia? We dont (AA) fly there.
Yes we have codeshare with Quantas & BA to go to Australia.
But thats for REVENUE passengers and us employees flying ZED.
Non REV D3 can only fly to destinations flown by us mainline (AA)
& Eagle. You can have your niece get you closer to your destination
served by AA, but the rest of the way is your own dime/ her discount/
different airline as in your case. And dont forget? Flying nonrev D1,2,3
YOU MUST BE FLEXIBLE
with your plans!!! You are at the mercy of seating capacity! No seats,
no flight! If your are connecting, I dont even want to go there!
Its one thing flying D3 from LAX to DFW or ORD where you have
X amount of flights a day. But flying D3 where there maybe only
1 to 2 flights a day especially internationally. Flying D3, you are at
the bottom of the priority list so please be aware if you cannot
be flexible wherever your final destination may be! Safe travels
Thanks for that info fellas! Much appreciate it, I think I have a better understanding of this process now.
Old Sep 19, 10, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold

You seem to know a lot about non-rev privileges. I saw inside one of the NRSA lounges while waiting for a flight at JFK (it is located across from one of the gates) and I'll take the AC any day. Are you sure you really voluntarily pay for tickets and are not a non-rev?
Old Sep 19, 10, 9:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The question is legitimate - the disrespecting of members and use of ad hominem is not. Thought this may be a contentious issue to some, please keep on the positive side of FlyerTalk TOS in the discussion.

Thanks, Moderator
Old Sep 19, 10, 10:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Non-Revs being Flyers, it seems reasonable to post such questions here. I've certainly learned something from this thread. @:-)
Old Sep 19, 10, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're quite correct, if I had been using my personal (leisure) flight privileges. However, the flights I was referring to were for the purpose of conducting official company business. In lieu of purchasing revenue tickets, the company provided me with positive-space, company-business flight passes.

The main difference between a positive-space and a space-available pass was that I had a higher priority than employees (and buddies ) traveling on personal passes.

Even on these positive-space passes, I was still subject to bumping; if a revenue passenger needed the seat, I was out of luck (I worked in technology; if the meeting or site visit was especially critical, suchj as to restore a crashed computer system, the company would shell out for a paid ticket).
Old Sep 19, 10, 11:25 pm
Suspended

You're quite correct, if I had been using my personal (leisure) flight privileges. However, the flights I was referring to were for the purpose of conducting official company business. In lieu of purchasing revenue tickets, the company provided me with positive-space, company-business flight passes.

The main difference between a positive-space and a space-available pass was that I had a higher priority than employees (and buddies ) traveling on personal passes.

Even on these positive-space passes, I was still subject to bumping; if a revenue passenger needed the seat, I was out of luck (I worked in technology; if the meeting or site visit was especially critical, suchj as to restore a crashed computer system, the company would shell out for a paid ticket).
Doesn't positive-space mean you have a seat booked on that flight, like a revenue ticket (but $0 fare)?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: