Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Non-Revenue Space Available and Related AA Travel

NOTE: Non-revenue passengers no longer have to abide by a dress code, merely appear neat and clean, not offensive - same as revenue passengers. July 2017.
Print Wikipost

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
What are NRSA Charges?

What are NRSA Charges?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by swdke
What are NRSA Charges?
The amount that an employee pays for non-revenue travel.

The amounts vary by class of service, type of traveler, and mileage of segments flown. There are exceptions WRT to mileage, where longhaul flights are flat fees, although still vary by COS and pass type.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
What are NRSA Charges?
NRSA: "Non Revenue Space Available"

Back in the old days (during the late 1980's) when I flew extensively via NRSA passes, there was usually no charge whatsoever as I was in management. However, as 777pax mentions, these days there is usually a fee of some type involved.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by gelaro
Not sure where to ask this, but has the pricing changed with USAirways buddy passes since the consolidation? The person I get them from is a retiree for about ten years and he doesn't know the current setup.
http://www.afausairways.org/index.cf...&HomeID=444430

A lot of things are changing. There is a lot of info there. Good luck. Edited to add: you should be able to check pricing on any itinerary via TravelUS. If you don't have an account ask your retiree to make one for you.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Thanks for the reply. For Non Rev travel for employees, how much can this NRSA fee amount too? I thought airline employees traveled for free? What might a NRSA fee be from say DAY-LAX, round trip? Thanks.

Originally Posted by jlemon
NRSA: "Non Revenue Space Available"

Back in the old days (during the late 1980's) when I flew extensively via NRSA passes, there was usually no charge whatsoever as I was in management. However, as 777pax mentions, these days there is usually a fee of some type involved.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Thanks for the reply. For Non Rev travel for employees, how much can this NRSA fee amount too? I thought airline employees traveled for free? What might a NRSA fee be from say DAY-LAX, round trip? Thanks.
It varies by airline, employee seniority, class of service and whether the traveler is the employee, spouse, registered companion, dependent, parent or guest (buddy pass).

If you are employed by an airline, check with your pass bureau. If a friend is giving you a buddy pass, check with your friend.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Sorry to come back in late to this thread, but wanted to repeat my answer to this question in case it wasn't clear or if someone comes looking for it later.

As TWA888 mentioned, it depends on who you are and where you are going, so there is no way for us on FT to estimate it for you. Luckily, you can do it yourself-- you can price an itinerary in TravelUS or the equivalent AA site, the same site you use to book non-rev travel. Just make a dummy booking and it will show you the price. If you do not have an account, you need to ask your employee friend to make one for you.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Luckily, you can do it yourself-- you can price an itinerary in TravelUS or the equivalent AA site, the same site you use to book non-rev travel. Just make a dummy booking and it will show you the price. If you do not have an account, you need to ask your employee friend to make one for you.
While the above is true for US, it doesn't quite apply for AA. You don't need to make a dummy booking on AA's NRTP, you just go to the NRSA Charges screen and input your routing. Further, AA employees cannot currently make an account for you like US employees can; they'll need to do any work in NRTP, including fare lookups, listing, and check-in, for you.
Old May 10, 2015, 1:36 pm

AA Non-Rev Dress

Hi everyone,

This will be my first post on the forums, so if I'm posting this in the wrong spot, mods please move. I've searched the forums and couldn't find anything recent or particularly relevant, so my apologies if this topic has been discussed in length on another recent thread.

I have flown non-rev many times on AA and always dress the part...or so I think. My flights are usually long-haul, so I keep comfort in mind when dressing. I once wore a nice pair of skinny/stretchy black pants I was told by the gate agent that I would not be allowed in business with leggings on. Ok, noted and onto the next thing. I wore the same pants on an international flight...business class, no problem.

That was around a year ago but I have an upcoming trip and was asking the employee if there were any changes in dress code I should know about. "You can wear whatever, really...just no jeans, flip flops, etc...business casual like you usually do"

So my question is...what is the deal with non-rev dress? Are desk agents tired of seeing black skinny pants and I need to switch it up? What do you other non-revving ladies wear that is modern and chic, but comfortable?
Old May 10, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Aren't there printed instructions (including dress requirements) for non-revenue passengers? There certainly used to be.

In any event, I believe that there is a thread on AA non-revenue travel in one of the FT AA forums.
Old May 10, 2015, 1:52 pm

guv, yes AA has a non-rev policies outline, which includes dress code. It is more of a list of common sense items, though.
Old May 10, 2015, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk MMTNYC. Please continue to follow this thread as I move it to the AA Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 10, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
The "no jeans" rule is actually out the door now. Presentable jeans may be worn in any cabin. Current guidelines:

The following items are not acceptable in ANY cabin:

- Torn, dirty, or frayed clothing
- Clothing that is distracting or offensive to others, for example, clothing that is overly revealing (such as extreme mini-skirts, halter and bra-tops, sheer or see-through clothing), swimwear, or sleepwear
- Clothing that is vulgar or violates community standards of decency is never appropriate, including items that have words, terms, or pictures that may be offensive to customers and other team members
- Bare feet

The following items are not acceptable in FIRST or BUSINESS class:

- Shorts
- Beach footwear (such as flip-flops and Croc-style shoes)
- Jogging suits, athletic gear, baseball-style caps (of course, it is acceptable to change into a jogging suit or similar attire during long-haul international flights)
- Any item in the Never Appropriate/Not Acceptable in Any Cabin list

P.S. You are always at the mercy, and subject to the whim, of the gate agent.
Old May 11, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
<redacted> Rather than asking strangers online why not ask whoever is giving you a D3 pass or if you are an OAL employee check with your pass bureau or call 888-WEFLYAA. Those are the proper channels for a question like this.

Last edited by Microwave; May 11, 2015 at 7:29 am
Old May 11, 2015, 7:07 am

<redacted>

@Ready2Go....Thanks for your reply. Personally I don't think jeans/flip flops/mini skirts/jogging suits should be allowed in any cabin...revenue passenger or not. But since I'm not among the powers that be...

"You are always at the mercy, and subject to the whim, of the gate agent." This is exactly the variable I was questioning, not the stipulations as outlined by AA. Agents chat with each other, I'm sure, about what this or that passenger was wearing.

So in short, I just wondered if there were particular things to avoid...are open-toe ankle boots ok or frowned upon? Is a "t-shirt" acceptable if it is silk blend and dressed up under a nice cardigan/blazer?

My post was not intended to offend anyone, instead only to get opinions. I am not an AA employee, but I do fly non-rev on occasion and always want to put my best foot forward when representing not only myself, but the employee.

Last edited by Microwave; May 11, 2015 at 7:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.