Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JetAway
Check the Qantas site after signing in as a member.
Not much use if you are looking to redeem using AA miles. My experience is that Expert Flyer and AA availability do match up

If I log into Qantas site, then I would expect to see different availability anyway
Old May 20, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If I log into Qantas site, then I would expect to see different availability anyway
I thought that wasn't allowed (within oneworld).
Old May 21, 2019, 7:49 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
@Dave Noble, I may need your assistance with an AA booking - you available in SYD over the weekend? I'd have to say that the new award booking tool is bloody frustrating - after searching for flights and thinking I had found suitable ones, I couldn't book them on AA.com or on the App. There would always be a failure after selecting the outbound and inbound sectors. Nothing would work. Ring up AA tonight and get told that the system must not be taking out flights that are no longer available. ... - what kind of system leaves invalid booking options in??

I'm stuffed if I can work out why it has to be so difficult. Makes the VA system look positive. Time to burn my points and be done with them.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Traveling in August PER-MEL on an AA Award in J. Is Qantas at all flexible on allowing me to change my flight day of at the airport to get into MEL earlier - or would I have to work through AA and hope that there is award availability that day?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:10 am

Yes they are - a few years back from me anyway. On connection for my domestic flight after award flight from USA.

I would modify the ticket via AA if space allows up to flight. Then ask at QF transfer if unsuccessful. No real overlap in who can do what for you.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Traveling in August PER-MEL on an AA Award in J. Is Qantas at all flexible on allowing me to change my flight day of at the airport to get into MEL earlier - or would I have to work through AA and hope that there is award availability that day?
Ask AA. Generally QF only change flights if it suit's QF and not just to the please the passenger. Note the aircraft type from PER can vary depending in the flight

Originally Posted by bmchris
Yes they are - a few years back from me anyway. On connection for my domestic flight after award flight from USA.

I would modify the ticket via AA if space allows up to flight. Then ask at QF transfer if unsuccessful. No real overlap in who can do what for you.
A few years ago the domestic check in desk at SYD T1 international would often change the onward domestic flight. They used to make an offer without you asking. They do not do that as much now days.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:13 pm

I have personally seen them say yes and personally seen them say no.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Traveling in August PER-MEL on an AA Award in J. Is Qantas at all flexible on allowing me to change my flight day of at the airport to get into MEL earlier
Long ago, QF used to allow same day changes for free. Now they will demand a fee, if they will let you at all. Definitely change it through AA if you want to go earlier.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:03 am

QF Business Award Seats Not Bookable with AA Miles?

FOr the past several days the QF website shows business class awards that Aa.com shows but errors out as flight no longer available when attempting to book. Called AA agent and they cannot see the award space. It is shown and apparently bookable using AS miles as I continued through to the page that would have purchased it but didn;t do so. ANy idea what is going on? Is AA limiting QF premium cabin seats on QF? No problem with coach seats as they could be booked and held with no problem for the same QF flight that QF showed business class as available on. .
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dldkjones
FOr the past several days the QF website shows business class awards that Aa.com shows but errors out as flight no longer available when attempting to book. Called AA agent and they cannot see the award space. It is shown and apparently bookable using AS miles as I continued through to the page that would have purchased it but didn;t do so. ANy idea what is going on? Is AA limiting QF premium cabin seats on QF? No problem with coach seats as they could be booked and held with no problem for the same QF flight that QF showed business class as available on. .
Do you have access to expert flyer? if so , what does it say? alternatively what is the flight?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:50 am
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
AA website for Qantas awards

Currently the AA website is useless for booking awards on Qantas. Does calling in help? Any ideas as to when or if the problem may be resolved?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ned
Currently the AA website is useless for booking awards on Qantas. Does calling in help? Any ideas as to when or if the problem may be resolved?
I'm having the same problem. I saw them a few weeks ago but now nothing when I try to search even across a bunch of dates. BA showing lots of availability. I guess I can call at some point.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by TigerFan55
Can I buy up to Premium Economy if they buy me economy? Does being OneWorld Emerald do anything for me?
Your company wants you to fly to Australia in Y?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:19 pm

I have a enough AA miles for a one-way business class Anytime fare and am currently booked on a cruise in Australia in December 2020. Based on the wiki, I assume it will be difficult to use AA miles and book when the booking window opens (i.e. I have to wait to closer to departure to find an award via Qantas)? The cruise starts in Sydney and I am in Philadelphia.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
I have a enough AA miles for a one-way business class Anytime fare and am currently booked on a cruise in Australia in December 2020. Based on the wiki, I assume it will be difficult to use AA miles and book when the booking window opens (i.e. I have to wait to closer to departure to find an award via Qantas)? The cruise starts in Sydney and I am in Philadelphia.
Anytime fares should be relatively easy to find on AA, not sure about Qantas. I have never seen Qantas flights on any of the AA sites (desktop or mobile). I went directly to Qantas's site about 330 days prior to our trip last year and was able to find a couple of Qantas award flights from LAX to SYD and LAX to MEL. They also had FIJI and Cathay award availability at the time. You will need to call AA to book, but they should waive the fees since you can't do it from their website. We actually flew an AA 787 back from SYD to LAX and the biz class seats were very nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.