Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Very helpful, as well as despressing re potential phantom availability. I took dummy booking to payment (didn't pay) and it held but who knows. I'd have to buy top up points and clearly don't want to do that if there's no award space.
If it held the space is real and you have it until you ticket or the hold expires.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:26 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know if I can book an QF F award on LHR-DXB? I know it's a fifth freedom. I can't find any award space on AA or BAEC.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Goflyer100
Does anyone know if I can book an QF F award on LHR-DXB? I know it's a fifth freedom. I can't find any award space on AA or BAEC.
QF offers fares on that route, so should technically be possible. Finding award availability will likely be hard
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
QF offers fares on that route, so should technically be possible. Finding award availability will likely be hard
It can be done, but QF replacing MEL-DXB-LHR with the PER flight will hurt award availability in F. It will be particularly noticeable over the 3-4 months after the PER flight starts, as anyone who had a QF F award on LHR-DXB on the MEL flight has likely been switched to the SYD flight if they want to stay with F.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:05 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
It can be done, but QF replacing MEL-DXB-LHR with the PER flight will hurt award availability in F. It will be particularly noticeable over the 3-4 months after the PER flight starts, as anyone who had a QF F award on LHR-DXB on the MEL flight has likely been switched to the SYD flight if they want to stay with F.
Yes, I just noticed that the LHR-DXB-MEL flight will be replaced my LHR-PER-MEL. Actually I was looking for award space within a few days but that's almost impossible I guess?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Very unlikely that there is award space on Qantas in 1st
Perhaps see if there is availability in 1st on EY - that is a lot more likely ime ( and a much better product ) - quick check shows availbility for Thursday
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:52 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Very unlikely that there is award space on Qantas in 1st
Perhaps see if there is availability in 1st on EY - that is a lot more likely ime ( and a much better product ) - quick check shows availbility for Thursday
Well, actually I already did EY F twice and wanted to try something different. Do you think it's worth it to fly QF F when I can fly EY F for the same amount of miles? What about fuel surcharge and taxes for QF F?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:32 pm

Just had a peculiar experience trying to book MEL-CBR as part of long trip.

The AA agent insists that only 3 flights show as available on the date, aa, qf and ef all show 2 seats on 7 flights. She even offers a seat on a flight which is not available on QF side!

Not wanting to make a fuss, i asked for the next day to be told only 1 service shows as available (qf/aa/ef show most flights available).

This is 14 days out.

Has anyoje experienced anything similar?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Just had a peculiar experience trying to book MEL-CBR as part of long trip.

The AA agent insists that only 3 flights show as available on the date, aa, qf and ef all show 2 seats on 7 flights. She even offers a seat on a flight which is not available on QF side!

Not wanting to make a fuss, i asked for the next day to be told only 1 service shows as available (qf/aa/ef show most flights available).

This is 14 days out.

Has anyoje experienced anything similar?
I did when trying to book MEL-SYD. 7 flights Available on BA and EF. Agent only showed 3 flights.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:58 pm

Does anyone know if AA can issue an Australian ETA for an AA award with QF operated flights? I know I can get it directly thru the Australian Government but have heard that airline issued ETAs do not occur a fee. Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
It's like $10-15 isn't it?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:03 am

Yes, $20 AUS thru the govt. website.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
Does anyone know if AA can issue an Australian ETA for an AA award with QF operated flights? I know I can get it directly thru the Australian Government but have heard that airline issued ETAs do not occur a fee. Thanks!
Depending on the passport you hold, there may be no fee. On the AU government website, there’s a list of eligible countries.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:52 am

Problems booking Aadvantage Award on Qantas

I have have tried for the last 5 days to book flight QF 8 (DFW to SYD) in July for MileSAAver first class. Every day on the AA website it appears to be available, but when I try to book the flight I get a message that the flight is no longer available. I have spoken to AA website tech support, who indicated that they cannot connect with the Qantas server to determine whether or not the flight is available. When I log in to the Qantas website with a frequent flyer number, the flights (several days in July) also seem to be available.

Have any of you also encountered difficulty booking MileSAAver awards on Qantas with this type of error?
Do you know of any solution to this problem? AA tech support is not helpful. Every time I call they tell me that they are aware of the problem and are investigating it.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by thevantz
I have have tried for the last 5 days to book flight QF 8 (DFW to SYD) in July for MileSAAver first class. Every day on the AA website it appears to be available, but when I try to book the flight I get a message that the flight is no longer available. I have spoken to AA website tech support, who indicated that they cannot connect with the Qantas server to determine whether or not the flight is available. When I log in to the Qantas website with a frequent flyer number, the flights (several days in July) also seem to be available.

Have any of you also encountered difficulty booking MileSAAver awards on Qantas with this type of error?
Do you know of any solution to this problem? AA tech support is not helpful. Every time I call they tell me that they are aware of the problem and are investigating it.
Is it just an online problem? If you've only spoken with web tech support, maybe calling AAdvantage award reservations and booking it over the phone is the better option. They might actually see the availability and be able to book it, or work with the OneWorld liaison to talk with Qantas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.