Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by illico
i am looking for a qantas award from sydney to tokyo narita. via BA and QF websites i can see a SYD-BNE-NRT award avalable on the date I want but on the aa website i see nothing. If I call in, would the aa agent be able to find this award for me, even though it cant be found via the website tool?
I would fully expect the agent will be able to see it if you can see it on BA and QF.

EDIT: Also updated the wiki to include my experiences on QF award release timing and aa.com not showing available QF seats.

Last edited by FlyerTalkUserName; Jun 8, 2017 at 2:44 pm Reason: Edit: Updated Wiki
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
i am looking for a qantas award from sydney to tokyo narita. via BA and QF websites i can see a SYD-BNE-NRT award avalable on the date I want but on the aa website i see nothing. If I call in, would the aa agent be able to find this award for me, even though it cant be found via the website tool?
Have a look on Awardnexus
There may also be availability on JL.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Granlor
Have a look on Awardnexus
There may also be availability on JL.
While I like AwardNexus and use it from time to time, I think OP's issue is that AA's search tool isn't seeing the award space that BA and QF see. AwardNexus uses those tools to find space so it wouldn't provide any value here I don't think.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
When you search on the BA site are you searching segment by segment also?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA
Award Availability of QF7 Business class

Want to redeem a flight SYD-DFW-JFK on Jan 2018 using 80k AA miles.
However, I found there is no available seats within 331 days.
When should I expect the seats to be available?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

doge Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by doge
Want to redeem a flight SYD-DFW-JFK on Jan 2018 using 80k AA miles.
However, I found there is no available seats within 331 days.
When should I expect the seats to be available?
The answer may be "never". January is a peak time for Au travel. QF frequent flyers can book fom 355 days out
Awards with AA ff miles USA to/from Australia are hard to get. Business class awards are very hard to get
Why SYD-DFW-JFK? AA do not allow stopovers.
QF fly SYD-LAX-JFK. Any domestic flight in USA may be on AA
QF also fly from BNE/MEL to LAX/SFO/HNL (but not from all airports to all airports)

In the AA forum are these dedicated threads
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

TN & FJ will also get you from Au to USA
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...demptions.html
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:38 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Even for high or top status QF FFers business or F awards trans Pacific (both directions) are almost impossible to get - even 11 (for AA) or 12 months (for QF) in advance. Perhaps considering a Plan B, C or D option may be prudent. Oh, and don't rely on last minute release of award seats either.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:08 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Since this question involves the use of AA miles, I'm moving it to the AA board for further consideration.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:37 pm

I snagged 1 Saver F award and 1 Saver J award for Mid-Jan '18 and at the time there were also seats available in late Jan. Appears to me that QF releases space in a rolling manner about 10-11 months out for QF7 and not 12 months out.

Are you sure there aren't any available for the entire schedule? If you're using AA's tool I wouldn't rely on it. The availability on QF's tool is the same availability AA has access to. Also guessing a mod will merge this into the existing thread.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og
......Perhaps considering a Plan B, C or D option may be prudent. Oh, and don't rely on last minute release of award seats either.
I cancelled a SYD SFO business class award for towards the end of June 2017. 3 days later it is still available.

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
I snagged 1 Saver F award and 1 Saver J award for Mid-Jan '18 and at the time there were also seats available in late Jan. Appears to me that QF releases space in a rolling manner about 10-11 months out for QF7 and not 12 months out.
Looking for the individual QF sectors SYD/MEL/BNE to DFW/LAX/SFO and then separately xxx-JFK (on AA) may help. Need to be flexible with date and route. AA also fly SYD-LAX.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 11, 2017 at 11:16 pm Reason: now a merged thread
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I've been attempting to find a family member a better way home from the middle east for an upcoming trip. They primarily fly UA, so while I was not surprised to see tons of phantom space on UA.bomb, I thought it quite odd to see phantom QF space for DXB-LHR in J. Thought I had the perfect ticket, but it bombed out on AA.com and when attempting to book over the phone.

I have never booked a QF award ticket, so a new experience for me...
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:21 pm

hey all, i was finding lots of award availability on the QF site that wasn't shown on BA or AA, and also wasn't seen by AA agents. I skimmed a decent amount of this thread but hadn't seen this mentioned. is this typical?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: points traveller
Originally Posted by eb12
hey all, i was finding lots of award availability on the QF site that wasn't shown on BA or AA, and also wasn't seen by AA agents. I skimmed a decent amount of this thread but hadn't seen this mentioned. is this typical?
wanted to ask the same Q.

found availability on the QF site this morning, but AA, BA, expertflyer (U class) are not showing availability. Phone agent at AA also can't see the availability.

have qantas changed their award seat release structure recently that i may have missed?

TIA
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by eb12
Originally Posted by diningdecadence
wanted to ask the same Q.

found availability on the QF site this morning, but AA, BA, expertflyer (U class) are not showing availability. Phone agent at AA also can't see the availability.

have qantas changed their award seat release structure recently that i may have missed?

TIA
Just to confirm you both clicked on the individual flights and confirmed it was QF metal? QF shows a lot of partner availability that AA doesn't show. Not sure if there are any partners QF shows but BA doesn't.

There's some mention of Phantom space in the AS/QF thread so it probably does happen from time to time.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1812149-consolidated-qantas-qf-awards-availability-booking-routing-thread.html
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Just to confirm you both clicked on the individual flights and confirmed it was QF metal?
It would be about as quick to just check for yourself as to a write a condescending note assuming that others are inept.

Takes under a minute. First route I tried was SYD-DFW in May.
Look at 15th.
QF shows all 4 classes available.
ba.com shows Y only.
aa.com shows nothing, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.