Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:46 pm

I want to book Qantas QF12 LAX-SYD, using AA miles (one-way for Jun 2017) I see plenty of availability on the Qantas website, but nothing on AA (in Y). Is there something I am missing?

Edited to add : RESOLVED. (user error - QF availability did not show on my original search, but when I logged in my AA account & searched again, it then showed up)

Last edited by Auscal; Mar 23, 2017 at 8:12 am
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Auscal
I want to book Qantas QF12 LAX-SYD, using AA miles (one-way for Jun 2017) I see plenty of availability on the Qantas website, but nothing on AA (in Y). Is there something I am missing?
The availability required is the lowest mileage cost, whatever QF uses as their equivalent to MileSAAver. Could that be the issue?

Another is QF shows award availability 360 days out, AA only 330-331 days out.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am seeing plenty of availability on aa.com

8/6 AA6005 -> QF74 (LAX-SFO-SYD)
9/6 AA6005 -> QF74
10/6 QF12
11/6 QF12
12/6 QF12
13/6 QF94 -> QF420 (LAX-MEL-SYD)
14/6 QF12

Originally Posted by JDiver
The availability required is the lowest mileage cost, whatever QF uses as their equivalent to MileSAAver. Could that be the issue?
No. QF only has 1 type of award
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Hello Folks!

I'm having difficulty finding any QF first class awards for LHR->SYD/MEL via AA, BA and even QF websites anytime from October 2017 to April 2018...I've had success over the years booking this route in F via AA Awards but I'm currently hitting a wall over the last few days.

I know QF9/10 to MEL will re-route via PER and will drop F from March 2018, but are there other changes on the way to QF1/2 for Sydney, for example, which mean that they've removed F inventory for awards? Or is it just a bit of bad luck this time around?

Apologies for missing anything obvious despite a bit of googling!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:47 am

I would suggest looking for a different carrier for the journey; QF is not reknown for releasing a lot of premium class availability for awards

QR via Doha is a much better bet at finding availability ( just checking for LHR-DOH and DOH-SYD for 13th Nov and found availability straight away)
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
I would suggest looking for a different carrier for the journey; QF is not reknown for releasing a lot of premium class availability for awards

QR via Doha is a much better bet at finding availability ( just checking for LHR-DOH and DOH-SYD for 13th Nov and found availability straight away)
MANY thanks for this...really appreciate the guidance...^
Old May 1, 2017, 8:47 pm

Just booked a saver F and saver J on the same flight SYD-DFW for early January '18. AA's search tool is broken and isn't showing any space. You need to use another tool like BA, QF, or ExpertFlyer. The saver F space (never more than 1) appears to be more readily available on weekday departures out of SYD. SYD-DFW has 9 saver economy seats available on numerous dates the weeks following 1/16/18.

I have yet to be able to identify a QF metal seat being released at 355 and then disappearing between then and 330 on any route I searched. Appears to me that you're much more likely to find space 270 and in. Will try to update the wiki later.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, Alaska MVP
I'm trying to fly from DPS to ~anywhere in mainland Australia in October using AA miles and I can't find any award availability on AA (calling US number) or BA's website. Any recommendations for how to search for it? Unsure if there is ~zero space or if I'm looking in the wrong spot. Preferably business, but economy would be fine too.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtags
I'm trying to fly from DPS to ~anywhere in mainland Australia in October using AA miles and I can't find any award availability on AA (calling US number) or BA's website. Any recommendations for how to search for it? Unsure if there is ~zero space or if I'm looking in the wrong spot. Preferably business, but economy would be fine too.
Qantas has limited flights from DPS. QF44 does fly DPS-SYD. Look at the oneworld site flight "where we fly" map. https://www.oneworld.com/flights/where-we-fly

DPS is a low budget holiday destination. You will find low cost carriers flying to Australia, especially PER. Some offer "business class" like JQ, that is really "economy plus" and not like a long haul business class. If you want to fly to mainland Australia, including PER, just pay cash. Note that DPS-PER is a shorter distance than PER-SYD

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=DPS-PER...D&MS=wls&DU=mi

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 14, 2017 at 8:40 pm Reason: adde OW link
Old May 15, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mtags
As Mwenenzi said, there is only one direct flight that offers a real business class, so it's likely to be zero all the time. Best bet for AA miles would be Cathay via HKG. Further out, this would be easier. BA shows availability DPS-HKG on a few days, but then you need a connection to Australia on the right day. (If you have any UA miles, it costs less than AA and availability on Thai is great. DPS-BKK-MEL is available many days in Oct.)
Old May 15, 2017, 1:45 am

If CX has a fare that allows it, I wouldn't do it. The journey from Sydney to Denpasar is only .2,871 miles. To go via Hong Kong and it is 6,717 mi. The journey from HKG-DPS is 2136 miles on its own. From Perth it is .1,596 mi vs 5,869 mi.

A paid ticket in economy to Perth on Jetstar is only USD227 and a business class ticket on GA only USD900 with sydney at USD314 and USD1123 ( including about USD41 in taxes )

Given that it would be ( if available ) 40,000 AA miles, I wouldn't rate it as a great value use of points

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 15, 2017 at 1:50 am
Old May 22, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA PP, DL DM, UA SL, CX GO, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold
If CX has a fare that allows it, I wouldn't do it. The journey from Sydney to Denpasar is only .2,871 miles. To go via Hong Kong and it is 6,717 mi. The journey from HKG-DPS is 2136 miles on its own. From Perth it is .1,596 mi vs 5,869 mi.

A paid ticket in economy to Perth on Jetstar is only USD227 and a business class ticket on GA only USD900 with sydney at USD314 and USD1123 ( including about USD41 in taxes )

Given that it would be ( if available ) 40,000 AA miles, I wouldn't rate it as a great value use of points
Agreed re: bad use of AA miles. Buy GA biz class, they operate that on a 330, w/ flat bed biz class.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:50 pm

i am looking for a qantas award from sydney to tokyo narita. via BA and QF websites i can see a SYD-BNE-NRT award avalable on the date I want but on the aa website i see nothing. If I call in, would the aa agent be able to find this award for me, even though it cant be found via the website tool?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by illico
i am looking for a qantas award from sydney to tokyo narita. via BA and QF websites i can see a SYD-BNE-NRT award avalable on the date I want but on the aa website i see nothing. If I call in, would the aa agent be able to find this award for me, even though it cant be found via the website tool?
Can you find availability on aa.com if you search for each leg individually?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Can you find availability on aa.com if you search for each leg individually?

i cannot. in fact when i tried to find the bne-nrt segment, aa routed me back to sydney to take an economy flight to nrt. (fyi I am looking at a business award).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.