Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2023, 8:40 am

Things have worsened since my positive experience in Feb where I was able to see the QF availability on the BA site and then call AA to book it. Now even that does not seem to be
possible. The saver award in business shows on the Qantas site (I checked QF7 on Nov 28, 2 PAX) but now none of the partners can see it. I called BA, AA and Alaska and no luck.

Is Qantas not making any of these saver seats available any more?
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ravi100
Things have worsened since my positive experience in Feb where I was able to see the QF availability on the BA site and then call AA to book it. Now even that does not seem to be possible. The saver award in business shows on the Qantas site (I checked QF7 on Nov 28, 2 PAX) but now none of the partners can see it. I called BA, AA and Alaska and no luck.

Is Qantas not making any of these saver seats available any more?
Award demand is *extremely* high. Compared to 2019 QF still have less seats AU<---->USA. Have less A380's flying. Just looking for SYD restricts options: BNE & MEL can be available.
QF and some other ffp's have awards from 353 days out. AA & AS are 330 days out (SABRE software limitation),
QF had large release of awards in Feb 2023 --> Tens of thousands of new international reward seats to be released Friday 24 Feb Have read will be other large release some time.

AA freq flyers can use AA, FJ & HA for awards USA<--->AU
Old Apr 11, 2023, 5:27 pm

I understand all that. In Feb I was able to book these seats by calling AA (QF website showed availability, AA.com did not but the agents could see them).

Now I see plenty of availability on the QF site but none of the partners show any availability ( I have tried AS, BA, AA online and by calling).
Old Apr 11, 2023, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand all that. In Feb I was able to book these seats by calling AA (QF website showed availability, AA.com did not but the agents could see them).

Now I see plenty of availability on the QF site but none of the partners show any availability ( I have tried AS, BA, AA online and by calling).
If none of the partners can see them then QF has probably not released them to partners. Are you sure that they are in the correct booking code for partner awards? Have you verified on EF?
Old Apr 13, 2023, 9:37 am

I have not verified on EF (not a member). The fact that even BA is not showing it seems to indicate they are not available for partners?
Old Apr 18, 2023, 10:15 am

I found availability in J for QF7 on Aug 26th (SYD-DFW). Availability (1 seat in J and 2 seats in Premium Economy) shows on the BA site and on the QF site, but not on AA or AS. Called AA and they
were able to see the availability and book. There are many other dates when this flight is available for QF members but the BA site does not show it.
Conclusions:
  • Qantas is not releasing seats in the premium cabins to OW partners. The most recent (Feb 23) release seems to stay locked in for Qantas members
  • What limited availability exists still shows accurately on BA
  • AA and AS websites still do not show even this limited availability but AA agents seem to be able to see/book if BA shows it
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 10:40 am

With all of the new United OZ/NZ flights announced today I wouldn't be surprised to see QF awards open up as the new UA flights draw many away from the QF and AA flights.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 10:45 am

Makes sense. Hopefully, that happens.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 10:48 am

One more curious thing is that all the availability for Qantas FF seems to be for east bound (AUS-USA) and hardly anything for westbound (USA-AUS).
Old Apr 18, 2023, 2:50 pm

I found availability in J for QF7 on Aug 26th (SYD-DFW). Availability (1 seat in J and 2 seats in Premium Economy) shows on the BA site and on the QF site, but not on AA or AS. Called AA and they
were able to see the availability and book. There are many other dates when this flight is available for QF members but the BA site does not show it.
Conclusions:
  • Qantas is not releasing seats in the premium cabins to OW partners. The most recent (Feb 23) release seems to stay locked in for Qantas members
  • What limited availability exists still shows accurately on BA
  • AA and AS websites still do not show even this limited availability but AA agents seem to be able to see/book if BA shows it
I picked up a QF F A380 award, LAX-SYD, on AA's site yesterday. For May.

Not sure yet I can make the timing work or get a return flight. But couldn't let that unicorn go by. I check often and this is first one I've seen in maybe 10 months.

But - here's something I realized yesterday - Now that AA is under cutting the partner awards with lower web specials, the partner non-stop flights aren't listed first, as we're used to seeing in most markets. You have to scroll down further for them, past AA listings. This one just happened to stand out on the calender because it was 110K and lowest of the month. With AA running lower web specials now, there could have been more out there before, & I just missed them in calendar view, as now they're 'buried'.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 3:24 pm

I'm shocked that it even showed up on AA.com...were you able to find an outbound to match?
Old Apr 18, 2023, 3:43 pm

I'm shocked that it even showed up on AA.com...were you able to find an outbound to match?
Yeah - I must admit I was pretty surprised.

LAX-SYD is my outbound. Haven't found anything back yet. But it was pretty late last night, maybe even wee hours of the morning, when I grabbed it. I've only had a chance to look briefly a couple of times since.

(Today being tax day so I was kind of occupied with other stuff I put off lol. But it'll get more attention now.)
Old Apr 22, 2023, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Yeah - I must admit I was pretty surprised.

LAX-SYD is my outbound. Haven't found anything back yet. But it was pretty late last night, maybe even wee hours of the morning, when I grabbed it. I've only had a chance to look briefly a couple of times since.

(Today being tax day so I was kind of occupied with other stuff I put off lol. But it'll get more attention now.)
I just released an AA QF award, LAX-SYD, May 4th, F cabin. As of time of this writing, it HAS been returned to award inventory. Out there now for the taking, but will not last long.

Will probably kick myself for it later. But wasn't able to get the itinerary or return flight worked and last day of the hold. However gets it: enjoy!

Last edited by cmtlatitudes; Apr 22, 2023 at 7:13 pm Reason: Added update
Old Apr 30, 2023, 3:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum
QF F Monday

Just wanted to let anyone know who may be interested but there were/are 3 seats released in QF F for this Monday LAX-SYD. Never seen that before and I am always looking..
Old Sep 9, 2023, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
(Deleted)

Last edited by JohnnyP; Sep 9, 2023 at 8:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.