Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Qantas has suspended or postponed a bunch of U.S. routes, as well as other international service. Check their press release if you have an upcoming award booking.

QANTAS GROUP UPDATE ON CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE

Thanks for posting this. One of my routes has been affected and haven't received any notification from Qantas yet.

Will AA let me change an Award ticket destination city without fee, due to the stated equipment downgrade?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Thanks for posting this. One of my routes has been affected and haven't received any notification from Qantas yet.

Will AA let me change an Award ticket destination city without fee, due to the stated equipment downgrade?
As QF announced this at 08:17 10 March local time (~4 hours ago) will be many people to move to other fights (including myself). Will take some time to work through the list

Did you have an F award? Only A380 has F seats. B787 has J as highest cabin. If a J award see little hope of the destination change
As you have an AA award you need to ask AA.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 9, 2020 at 7:32 pm
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I'm sure AA will waive any award change fees, but the problem may be finding an alternate route that has award inventory. AA can ask QF to open space or switch your flight, but AA can't overbook you into QF award inventory. An AA agent might be able to overbook you onto an AA flight to Australia, if that's an option for you.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As QF announced this at 08:17 10 March local time (~4 hours ago) will be many people to move to other fights (including myself). Will take some time to work through the list

Did you have an F award? Only A380 has F seats. B787 has J as highest cabin. If a J award see little hope of the destination change
As you have an AA award you need to ask AA.

Yes, F Award. About 10 days after the change so just missed it. Also just realized a 30K point differential. Hopefully at minimum that would be refunded. I'll call AA shortly.

Wouldn't be a problem if J - at least from everything I've read going J from the 388 to J in 789 would be a bonus. Not sure how they work that with 3 to 2 cabins though.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
I'm sure AA will waive any award change fees, but the problem may be finding an alternate route that has award inventory. AA can ask QF to open space or switch your flight, but AA can't overbook you into QF award inventory. An AA agent might be able to overbook you onto an AA flight to Australia, if that's an option for you.
Thanks - this is actually my return flight back to the states. Fortunately my flight over is well before the date change the reductions go into effect. There's almost no Award flights back from Aussie to the states, although there's plenty available going over right now. I'll give AA a call.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:26 pm

Yes, F Award. About 10 days after the change so just missed it. Also just realized a 30K point differential. Hopefully at minimum that would be refunded.
Yes, if nothing else AA will refund the difference in miles.

Wouldn't be a problem if J - at least from everything I've read going J from the 388 to J in 789 would be a bonus. Not sure how they work that with 3 to 2 cabins though.
QF old J on the A380 is pretty poor, but their new J is on par with other airlines'. I don't think QF has any A380s to the U.S. or Canada with the change, so no F. If you're happy with the new QF flight and being in J on it, then just have AA reissue the award as a J award and refund the extra miles. If there's a different flight you'd rather be on, then if you or an AA agent can find QF J award space, that would be an easy change. If not, then as I mentioned AA can ask QF to open space or move you to that flight, or AA should be able to overbook you into U on an AA flight if that works better for you.

Thanks - this is actually my return flight back to the states. Fortunately my flight over is well before the date change the reductions go into effect. There's almost no Award flights back from Aussie to the states, although there's plenty available going over right now. I'll give AA a call.
Glad your outbound is OK.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
QF will still have an A380 flying LAX-SYD on QF 11/12 but that will be it (in fact that will be it for A380 ops for QF for a while).

Last edited by TheBOSman; Mar 9, 2020 at 9:41 pm
Old Jul 12, 2020, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by rayfes
I'm trying to plan my eventual return to Australia and have an award ticket on QF 74 SFO-SYD paid with AA miles (80k for J) in Nov and hopefully the stoppage of international flights through the end of Oct doesn't go beyond that:

But I'm trying to have a backup itinerary in Feb but when I try to book with miles I'm only given Y options on Fiji. Anyone know why J doesn't show up at all for any date?
I'm not sure if you are asking why there is no J award availability on FJ or why there is no J award availability period. The answer to both is likely the same - there are no scheduled QF or AA flights between the USA and Australia until March 1st. So FJ is one of the few options and therefore little incentive to make J award seats available until they see what demand is like. CX and JL currently have flights to Australia scheduled in Feb via their respective hubs but the points required would be higher.

Last edited by 3544quebec; Jul 12, 2020 at 7:28 pm
Old Jul 12, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I'm trying to plan my eventual return to Australia and have an award ticket on QF 74 SFO-SYD paid with AA miles (80k for J) in Nov and hopefully the stoppage of international flights through the end of Oct doesn't go beyond that:

https://www.qantas.com/us/en/travel-...0restrictions.

But I'm trying to have a backup itinerary in Feb but when I try to book with miles I'm only given Y options on Fiji. Anyone know why J doesn't show up at all for any date?
It's likely there's nothing on an approved routing available right now. If you keep the award and flight is canceled they can rebook on non-normal routings. (Ie CX via HKG, JL via TYO, etc...) This still assume those airlines make awards available at some point.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 9:49 pm

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
Thanks for the replies. I see cash FJ flts in J from SFO so I thought those would show up for award redemption even if it was at a higher level. I'll keep my Nov flts and see what happens.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.qantas.com/us/en/travel-...0restrictions.

QF will not fly long haul in Nov 2020. And very unlikely before March 2021
Link---> https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...-cancellations
Entry to Australia is restricted to AU citizens, AU permanent resident and limited others with government permission. Unlikely to change for a long time. IMHO that will include Feb 2021

I have asked moderators to split off post 18 and later, as way off topic Posts were in another thread
rayfes likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 13, 2020 at 12:46 am
Old Jul 14, 2020, 2:55 am

I'm holding a LAX/MEL award ticket for Feb 2021 in J. It was the best reschedule available a few months ago from my cancelled F 380 trip in March 2020. I'm hanging on to it for now as my Tasmanian reservations can be cancelled a few days prior traveling. But mentally I'm already resigned the Feb 2021 trip is probably not happening. ☹
Old Jul 14, 2020, 4:42 pm

I have ticketed flights in QF J to go from US to Australia and back in November and in February, but as noted above, neither seem likely to happen. My plan is to wait until close to the flight dates, then, if the flights aren't operating or U.S. citizens aren't allowed in to Australia as visitors, I'll ask AA to ask QF if they would consider moving me to flights in late 2021.
rayfes likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 5:08 am

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
Mwenenzi was correct and my Nov QF flt was just canceled. I'm not going to try for Feb 2021 either and will just postpone until the following Aussie summer. This QF page gets updated periodically with their international flight status as mentioned in the wiki:

https://www.qantas.com/us/en/travel-...k-changes.html

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
QF will not fly long haul in Nov 2020. And very unlikely before March 2021
Link---> https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...-cancellations
Entry to Australia is restricted to AU citizens, AU permanent resident and limited others with government permission. Unlikely to change for a long time. IMHO that will include Feb 2021

I have asked moderators to split off post 18 and later, as way off topic Posts were in another thread

Last edited by rayfes; Oct 7, 2020 at 5:13 am Reason: shout out to the wiki
Old Feb 19, 2022, 8:08 pm

ExpertFlyer, BA, and QF see business award. AA says no.

Hi all,

I'm trying to book a round-trip business class award ticket from LAX-BNE-LAX in the summer. There are two flights per day on the dates in question, both of which show award availability. I have reserved the earlier flights using AAdvantage miles (QF 55 and QF 56) but the later flights (QF 15 and QF 16) provide a much better itinerary for me.

Expertflyer, and the AA and QF search engines all show 4 business class tickets on both late flights (and fewer than 4 on the early flights). Despite this, I haven't been able to find an agent who can see any availability on the later flights. (Economy, yes. Business, no.)

Is there anything I can do to secure these flights? (Aside from using a very large number of Avios.)

Last edited by grlmopz; Feb 19, 2022 at 8:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.