Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I do notice a long haul flight available tomorrow in Business (not the day I want to fly however). But it does make me think that perhaps they do open up space a day in advance? Reading through the thread FTers say no... but I can't believe tomorrows open business class from SYD to LAX is a coincidence that has availability for months. I can fly on a moments notice... is it worth waiting til day or two before to see if space opens up on my days?
QF basically won't open up space a day or a few days in advance. AA will on occasion, but I would not at all count on it. Thursdays, for flights from Australia to USA, are usually a lower demand day, as few Americans would take a vacation that had them arriving back into USA on a Thursday, and many Australians coming here for business purposes wouldn't want to arrive on a Thursday either (work Friday then have the weekend off?), hence why you see a business award for SYD-LAX tomorrow. In my mind, it isn't worth waiting until a day or two before if you have to plan specific-ish dates, unless you're 100% willing to fly economy. If you can fly truly at a moment's notice, you're still unlikely to be able to pair a round trip up in premium cabin, so again you'd still better be willing to fly economy.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:28 am

What's the rules for a redemption with a domestic connection (e.g. PER-SYD-CBR) with an overnight in SYD?
Online I can only see certain flight combinations (including overnights), but if I do multi-city I can see far more options but pricing at 2 awards!

Will the call centre oblige or will they refuse? Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by edy4eva
What's the rules for a redemption with a domestic connection (e.g. PER-SYD-CBR) with an overnight in SYD?
Online I can only see certain flight combinations (including overnights), but if I do multi-city I can see far more options but pricing at 2 awards!

Goes by the restrictions of the published fares, however, no way to know (or at least I don't know, I should say) if AA.com is restricting displayed options thusly or just somewhat randomly, so a call might be in order. Historically (and I most definitely have not kept up at all on this facet) certain domestic QF fares were quite limited in this regard, routing-wise.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:56 am

I've had success several times with a call to the CK desk with this exact QF issue. Last time that I recall though was in 2015. No clue of course if they will treat you the same in 2017.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Qantas's fare rules permit an overnight stop as long as the connection is no more than 8 hours, otherwise connections must be on same calendar day

If you take QF566 arriving into Sydney at 22:25 , then I would expect that you would be able to take QF1511 at 06:20 to CBR without being charged for 2 awards. For other overnight stops, would expect AA to charge as 2 awards

The journey has to be non stop or 1 stop via SYD,MEL or ADL to comply with routing rules
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Qantas's fare rules permit an overnight stop as long as the connection is no more than 8 hours, otherwise connections must be on same calendar day

If you take QF566 arriving into Sydney at 22:25 , then I would expect that you would be able to take QF1511 at 06:20 to CBR without being charged for 2 awards. For other overnight stops, would expect AA to charge as 2 awards

The journey has to be non stop or 1 stop via SYD,MEL or ADL to comply with routing rules
Interesting, I definitely didn't know that first part.

I guess I'm learning a lot this week on the subject:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27878801-post2461.html
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:36 pm

Actually I may have misread the rules - what I was reading was in a paragraph that said "If fare component includes travel via DRW" ; looking further down the penalty section , the general rules do state that connections must take place on same calendar day, so I take it back that that connection is something that I would expect to be ok
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:39 pm

Actually I may have misread the rules - what I was reading was in a paragraph that said "If fare component includes travel via DRW" ; looking further down the penalty section , the general rules do state that connections must take place on same calendar day, so I take it back that that connection is something that I would expect to be ok
Interesting. I'm sure you are right about the rules and I personally have no idea but I just checked an old set of flights that the CK desk "fixed" for me and the connection was not on the same day. Perhaps they made special exceptions for me without explaining it as such.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:41 am

This may be common knowledge and could have been discussed pages ago up-thread, but I took the wiki to mean that I should be able go on QF's website and search BNE-LAX at T-355 and see saver J seats. In practice all of the seats I see at the end of schedule from MEL, SYD, and BNE are partner awards. QR, CX, etc. Should it be added that QF rarely opens seats for high season US-AUS at EOS? Also there were quite a few around late November and early December and I find it odd that they've just been sitting there since the schedule opened but certainly isn't a release "close-in". I've been watching the calendar over the last two months and looking at November '17 through January '18.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
This may be common knowledge and could have been discussed pages ago up-thread, but I took the wiki to mean that I should be able go on QF's website and search BNE-LAX at T-355 and see saver J seats. In practice all of the seats I see at the end of schedule from MEL, SYD, and BNE are partner awards. QR, CX, etc. Should it be added that QF rarely opens seats for high season US-AUS at EOS? Also there were quite a few around late November and early December and I find it odd that they've just been sitting there since the schedule opened but certainly isn't a release "close-in". I've been watching the calendar over the last two months and looking at November '17 through January '18.
checking 9th, 10th and 11th Feb 2018 , I can see business class available for BNE-LAX

Not that this is of much use to someone wanting to use AA miles since the aadvantage terms only allow booking up to 330 days in advance
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:29 pm

checking 9th, 10th and 11th Feb 2018 , I can see business class available for BNE-LAX

Not that this is of much use to someone wanting to use AA miles since the aadvantage terms only allow booking up to 330 days in advance
Hmmm, on the QF nonstop? I just checked the nonstop for the 10th and 11th and didn't see any Business saver, only Economy.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:41 pm

Hmmm, on the QF nonstop? I just checked the nonstop for the 10th and 11th and didn't see any Business saver, only Economy.
Logged into my QF FF account I can see business class available on 10 Feb

Even so, I am not sure how availability 25 days ahead of what AA will permit, really helps.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:23 pm

Logged into my QF FF account I can see business class available on 10 Feb

Even so, I am not sure how availability 25 days ahead of what AA will permit, really helps.
Interesting. Do you have status with QF? I was logged into my account (no status) and all I could see were connections through a third region that would price as two awards on AA.

My point was to see if there wasn't as much availability at the window as the wiki implied and if instead QF is releasing award space gradually throughout the schedule. This would of course be favorable to AA members that can't book at T-355.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Hmm, is AsiaMiles better for QF awards, even those originating and ending in the US, than AA miles?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
When QF was regularly releasing award seats at the beginning of its time window, it was very helpful. You could watch that availability deteriorate as QF members grabbed them and be ready to catch the crumbs that were still around at T-331. (or T-335 on US Airways in the past) If there's zero availability to QF members, you know there are no crumbs to even try for.

Interesting. Do you have status with QF? I was logged into my account (no status) and all I could see were connections through a third region that would price as two awards on AA.
That's what I'm seeing. Nothing except economy, unless you use CX. (or FJ on the 12th)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.