Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:02 pm

I recently released 3 AUS-LHR awards which did never return to inventory, however 2 before, where immediately back...so its no consistency
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:23 pm

If you only recently booked the award, and it is far out, then it is more likely to return to inventory.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:26 pm

it was for FEB17 and didnt return
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
What's going on with AA award reservation?

Two months ago, I booked a business class itinerary that includes two legs of QF flight. At the time of booking, I had to voluntarily downgrade one of the segments to coach due to no business seat available. I have been checking AA.com almost every day since and I always found that there are business class availability in the flight I booked. But when I called AA twice, twice they said they couldn't see anything. Does anyone have similar experience? I have heard there might be disconnect between BA, QF websites and AA partner award inventory. But I never thought that there would be disconnect between AA.com and AA phone reservation.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Are you specifically seeing business class award availability or just business class availability?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Are you specifically seeing business class award availability or just business class availability?
I mean Business Award Availability 20K AA miles from SYD to BNE. I can see plenty of flights from May to June. And the agent said she can't see any.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Platinum
There's a separate thread on here for booking award flights on Qantas using AA miles which also documents phantom award inventory that displays on aa.com but is not real.

Have you only seen this award inventory on the AA website, or have you checked on BA/QF websites?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by NYCroots
There's a separate thread on here for booking award flights on Qantas using AA miles which also documents phantom award inventory that displays on aa.com but is not real.

Have you only seen this award inventory on the AA website, or have you checked on BA/QF websites?
I totally forget to cross check with BA.com. And you are right, BA doesn't show any availability on that specific flight I am trying to book. Thanks a lot!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by gogomustangs
Two months ago, I booked a business class itinerary that includes two legs of QF flight. At the time of booking, I had to voluntarily downgrade one of the segments to coach due to no business seat available. I have been checking AA.com almost every day since and I always found that there are business class availability in the flight I booked. But when I called AA twice, twice they said they couldn't see anything. Does anyone have similar experience? I have heard there might be disconnect between BA, QF websites and AA partner award inventory. But I never thought that there would be disconnect between AA.com and AA phone reservation.
What you're asking about is related to a QF redemption, so I'll move this to the QF award thread.

~Moderator
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have a one way saver F award JFK-LAX-HNL booked. I wanted to change to an earlier LAX-HNL that had saver F availability open up after booking. Shouldn't I be able to make this switch? I played HUACA 3 times without a successful change. Am I missing something?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by McSam18
I have a one way saver F award JFK-LAX-HNL booked. I wanted to change to an earlier LAX-HNL that had saver F availability open up after booking. Shouldn't I be able to make this switch? I played HUACA 3 times without a successful change. Am I missing something?
I would keep trying as this should not be a problem.
If you have no luck, escalate to a supervisor.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by McSam18
Yes, you are. This is the thread for Qantas redemptions.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Yes, you are. This is the thread for Qantas redemptions.
Of course I didn't see the Qantas part until after posting, stupid phone browser. Please feel free to move asap, so I can avoid further shame and embarrassment (I did hit the alert button already).
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by conatyp
My understanding is that it is hit or miss whether they will return directly to available inventory or not.
Well, I just canceled two DFW-SYD F awards on different days and the answer is.... One of the awards returned and one did not. Hit or miss, indeed.

Aug 11 - Aug 18 now available in F...
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by 869
Well, I just canceled two DFW-SYD F awards on different days and the answer is.... One of the awards returned and one did not. Hit or miss, indeed.

Aug 11 - Aug 18 now available in F...
Interesting that these are still being quoted as only 100k mile redemptions on the AA website. Not the dates I'm looking to change to, but the way I've been searching online is to find the dates (if any) that are marked as 110k for F because all of those QF SYD - SFO flights in economy are showing up as available in F for 100k. Guess I was wrong.

About a week ago I was able to find the AA flight I needed for one date by looking for the 110k in the sea of purple 100k's.

Anyways, I'd be interested to see if someone was able to snag one of the seats and whether they'd be able to complete the booking at the 100k rate

Last edited by NYCroots; Apr 5, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.