Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:02 pm

does aa.com show the flights? I do not think that the award pricing change of next month has anything to do with it
No, aa.com does not show the flights, only AA/QF connections in SYD. And not Premium. I'm going to look at other options and leave QF for another day and trip.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by Maxima81
I haven't had any experiences where I wasn't able to book a QF flight that shows on Qantas.com (and BA) by calling in.
Not entirely the same, but AA recently couldn't see a CX award that was showing and bookable on QF. But that award wasn't visible on BA, either
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF Plat, UA 1k, SPG Gold, IC Ambassador
Available Award flights on Qantas not real

I have been trying to book using my AA points to get from SYD to LON in First for some time now, and it looks like the Qantas gremlins are back.

The AA website shows that say on April 20, First class is available, along with many other dates (not all though, so it is not just blanket allowing) but when you go to book, it just returns you to the previous page, with flights now unavailable.

You do a new search, and they are there. Today, a new one even came up that wasnt there yesterday.

Called AA Helpdesk, and helpful person (Dustin) said nope, no flights available, and is error with website.

No known fix date again, and now no real way of checking avail with them for dates without actually trying to book, as the avail calendar is useless.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:43 pm
tyr

Search on ba.com, sign up for an executive club account if needed. They will show availability on Qantas, if you see something just call AA to book.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:47 pm

I've been seeing this for weeks. Makes me excited then sad shortly thereafter every time.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Just thought I would post that I was able to get the phone booking fee waived on QF awards recently as they were not posting on aa.com.
I had that experience a few days ago too. Quick, competent AAgent seemed to know about the problems with QF awards and booked my F seat LAX-MEL with no hassle and no phone fee.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
it's nothing whatsoever to do with March 22/ AAdv devaluation.
Possibly not, in which case it's just utter incompetence. The timing of their fixing it will be our best evidence as to which is true.

does aa.com show the flights? I do not think that the award pricing change of next month has anything to do with it
Given that aa.com is showing no QF LAX-MEL availability at all, the answer would be no. (qantas.com is showing hundreds, mostly in Y, of course)
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
LAX-SYD 3/16 Two award seats: One F one J

Going back in later tonight

Neither showed up on EF....

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Feb 16, 2016 at 10:15 pm
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Question for all y'all that have transited Sydney before:
Wife and I are trying to plan our trip. Probably will fly in on AA and we're debating flying to Ayers Rock right away. Would you 1) fly on QF? Connection time is just less than 2 hours, but we can use the Qantas seamless transfer. Annoying thing is the 2 hour stop in ASP (why doesn't QF run their own nonstops?)
OR
2) fly on jetstar nonstop? Would have to be on a separate ticket and from what I can tell, we'd have to schlep our bags ourselves to T2 after arrival, which seems like a PITA. We'd have about 2.5 hours to make this connection assuming AA is on time. I promise we'll try to stay under 50.8 lbs this time! :-D

Thank you in advance!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Question for all y'all that have transited Sydney before:
Wife and I are trying to plan our trip. Probably will fly in on AA and we're debating flying to Ayers Rock right away. Would you 1) fly on QF? Connection time is just less than 2 hours, but we can use the Qantas seamless transfer. Annoying thing is the 2 hour stop in ASP (why doesn't QF run their own nonstops?)
OR
2) fly on jetstar nonstop? Would have to be on a separate ticket and from what I can tell, we'd have to schlep our bags ourselves to T2 after arrival, which seems like a PITA. We'd have about 2.5 hours to make this connection assuming AA is on time. I promise we'll try to stay under 50.8 lbs this time! :-D

Thank you in advance!
Id rather decompress and get over jet lag in the comfort of Sydney, as opposed to doing it at ANY property in Uluru.... just MHO

Understand that jetsar has bag limits (do you pay for every bag? dunno) and may not be as understanding as QF in the event the AA flight is late. A 4 hr glitch on AA down there and the whole transfer to AYQ (and the onwards plans) can go down the tube.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Id rather decompress and get over jet lag in the comfort of Sydney, as opposed to doing it at ANY property in Uluru.... just MHO

Understand that jetsar has bag limits (do you pay for every bag? dunno) and may not be as understanding as QF in the event the AA flight is late. A 4 hr glitch on AA down there and the whole transfer to AYQ (and the onwards plans) can go down the tube.
If you're buying your own ticket, Jetstar will charge you for every bag.

As to the other poster, demand to AYQ is relatively low, and almost exclusively tourists. There is business demand to ASP and thus QF flies there, I've flown through ASP and used the Qantas Club there, as most of the interior Northern Territory business operations are commercially centered in Alice Springs.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Thanks for the responses! Yeah we're debating whether to get over our jet lag in SYD vs at Sails in the Desert - pretty spiffy looking property in the pictures at least!

I assume 1:55 meets the MCT for SYD int-dom? I've not found it officially written anywhere. Probably didn't look hard enough though I will admit that!

Plus there is award space on QF which would soften the blow to our wallets.

I assume we won't have QF lounge access at ASP?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You would likely be able to add the AYQ flight to the existing booking and so would be a no brainer to take the Qantas flight

The MCT for QF-QF is 90 minutes for the T1-T3 connection; If you were to misconnect, an agent will get you on another flight. If you were to be stuck in Sydney overnight , you would get a decent hotel and meals et al

If you go on JQ and your AA flight is delayed and you miss the JQ flight, then you will be up for a new ticket and pay for own accommodation if needing to stay overnight

If you travel on Qantas, you will get Qantas Club lounge access at SYD and ASP; if this is a business or 1st class award, you will get business class lounge access in Sydney and Qantas Club lounge access in ASP

With Jetstar, no lounge access

Also with Qantas, you will be able to check bags in at the Qantas Seamless transfer desk in T1 and take the free coach across to T3 rather than have to take bags on bus or train to T2 to check in with JQ plus pay $5.50 for the transfer

Last edited by Dave Noble; Feb 17, 2016 at 12:31 pm
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
I assume 1:55 meets the MCT for SYD int-dom? I've not found it officially written anywhere. Probably didn't look hard enough though I will admit that!
It will meet it, I wouldn't worry too much.

Plus there is award space on QF which would soften the blow to our wallets.

I assume we won't have QF lounge access at ASP?
Your profile shows AA PLT, so you would have access to the Qantas Club with that no matter which cabin class you were flying in if you are still AA PLT at the time of the flight. Bring your physical membership card though.

If you are flying in a premium cabin on the same day, and you have an onward flight with QF from ASP, you can access the Qantas Club at ASP. Not that it is anything special or amazing, but like most lounges it is at least better than the terminal. It's also better than most AA Admirals Clubs as well.

I'd book the flight all the way through to AYQ, and save the miles. If you miss the flight, QF will likely help you at SYD. Absolute worst case, have them get you to ASP and from there its about a 6 hour drive to AYQ, on sealed roads so no worries about needing a 4WD or driving on dirt roads. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this without pre-planning though.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by thehaloboy
I have been trying to book using my AA points to get from SYD to LON in First for some time now, and it looks like the Qantas gremlins are back.

The AA website shows that say on April 20, First class is available, along with many other dates (not all though, so it is not just blanket allowing) but when you go to book, it just returns you to the previous page, with flights now unavailable.

You do a new search, and they are there. Today, a new one even came up that wasnt there yesterday.

Called AA Helpdesk, and helpful person (Dustin) said nope, no flights available, and is error with website.

No known fix date again, and now no real way of checking avail with them for dates without actually trying to book, as the avail calendar is useless.
Some of these phantom first class seats have become real. I just managed to book a SYD->DXB in April in P (which, prior to a few days ago, was showing up as available, but then got the dreaded "The selected flight is no longer available"), but last night was able to complete the booking.

That being said, I tried a SYD->LHR and still have phantom seats, so it seems YMMV.

Good luck.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:54 pm

I have managed to pick my way past the phantom availability but I am now having some married segment issues. I have on hold 2 seats MEL-DXB-LHR on QF9 in F connecting to a BA flight to FCO in J. There is only 2 hours in DXB yet the itinerary is pricing up as two awards, meaning 200k miles rather than 160k.

My queries are:
a)Will I be able to persuade an agent to manually reprice it at 160k?
b) I have feelings QF does odd things with married segments, is there any chance they will not ticket such an itinerary? This is important as I will have to cancel an existing itinerary in J to have enough miles for F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.