Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage, SPG, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by klymen
AA shows Qantas availability through the award search on aa.com. Usually this matches the award availability on the qantas website.
That hasn't been my experience actually. I have found numerous instances where Qantas' site shows availability but AA.com doesn't pick it up. In those instances, I've called AA to verify it and the agent can see it - but it definitely doesn't show on the website.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Maxima81
That hasn't been my experience actually. I have found numerous instances where Qantas' site shows availability but AA.com doesn't pick it up. In those instances, I've called AA to verify it and the agent can see it - but it definitely doesn't show on the website.
I reported on this phenomenon about a month ago as well and no one seemed particularly concerned. You can tell that this is happening because there is way more QF F inventory showing available on EF than anyone in this forum would have you believe is even possible.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I reported on this phenomenon about a month ago as well and no one seemed particularly concerned. You can tell that this is happening because there is way more QF F inventory showing available on EF than anyone in this forum would have you believe is even possible.
I'm with you. I just posted that this continues to be an issue and pretty much no one responded lol. Just snagged two SYD-DFW J awards that did not appear on aa.com.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Plat
Qantas Award Availability

Yeah, I have seen the same thing lately. Snagged SFO-SYD in business on christmas day this morning by calling in. Had to call a few phone reps before one would admit that there was a known issue and waive the booking fee. She said that there was a problem with Qantas in their "references" that was supposed to be resolved by the 20th but obviously hasn't been. The twitter account was absolutely no help yet again.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Hmm, I saw one in April on qantas but not on aa.com. AA did have availability but on their planes, not the QF direct for SFO-SYD.

Thought about asking the AA agent to find it but decided actually that November would be better. So AA has availability then while Qantas only shows saver awards routing through Hong Kong in November.

I would have liked to have taken QF but I've heard that AA business is better than QF business, while QF F is better than AA F.

Wanted to use my miles before the new award chart takes effect so I went for the SJC-LAX-SYD and MEL-SYD-LAX-SJC award in November. I'm hoping to get in the new lounge at LAX?

And AA business class doesn't get access to QF lounges in SYD?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by wco81

And AA business class doesn't get access to QF lounges in SYD?
All OW business class passengers get access to QF lounges (eg. AA, JL, LA)
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pschafer
All OW business class passengers get access to QF lounges (eg. AA, JL, LA)
Hmm, okay but Gary Leff was going on about how the QF lounge in SYD is the best in the world.

Is he talking about the one for first class only, as in QF has separate lounges for business class and first class?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Hmm, okay but Gary Leff was going on about how the QF lounge in SYD is the best in the world.
Is he talking about the one for first class only, as in QF has separate lounges for business class and first class?
Yes, he was referring to the QF First Class Lounge in SYD, which indeed very nice.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
QF has separate lounges at SYD and MEL (and other airports but we can focus on those for now, the others aren't so significant in their differences) in the respective international terminals for business class and first class. I've not had occasion to use the business class lounge internationally with QF, but from what I've seen, it certainly isn't bad, in fact is quite good. But the first lounges at SYD and MEL are a clear level above and are world-class. And, all internationally departing OW first class passengers (AA, JL, in addition to QF) have access to the international terminal QF first class lounge at SYD or MEL (depending on specific departure point). However, a non-OWE internationally departing business class passenger would not have access to the first class lounge, "only" to the business class lounge.

With no apologies to deal killing blogger, I personally know more about QF, flying QF, booking QF awards, enjoying QF lounges, and using AA miles to Australia and New Zealand than he does. The collective knowledge here on top of that completely outdoes him in every way and it isn't even close.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Ah well last night, there was a first class award returning from MEL for the date I wanted but this morning it was gone. So I went with business, a little earlier in November.

So I'll just have to make do with business class lounge, though it's an early flight so probably not too much time for it.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah well last night, there was a first class award returning from MEL for the date I wanted but this morning it was gone. So I went with business, a little earlier in November.

So I'll just have to make do with business class lounge, though it's an early flight so probably not too much time for it.
Keep an eye out, you might get lucky and it will reappear .
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Yeah but I'm locked into business awards both ways. I found out I can't change dates without a fee unless it's the same level of awards and the destinations are the same.

So I paid $150 because November is better for me (and weatherize) than April and I couldn't find the exact pattern of first class outbound and business class return.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah but I'm locked into business awards both ways. I found out I can't change dates without a fee unless it's the same level of awards and the destinations are the same.

So I paid $150 because November is better for me (and weatherize) than April and I couldn't find the exact pattern of first class outbound and business class return.
AA will often allow an upgrade from a business saver to a first saver for free. Of course, origin and destination must remain the same.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I've heard that AA business is better than QF business
I find this hard to believe, to say the least.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no1cub17
I find this hard to believe, to say the least.
AA 77W business (used LAX-SYD-LAX) is 1-2-1 seating, all seats have aisle access, and AA's plane has Wifi. QF's A380 is 2-2-2, and QF's 747 is mostly either 2-2 or 2-3-2, so not all seats have aisle access, and no Wifi. Those are two major checkmarks for AA. Since QF has forced AA to up the catering standards on the AA LAX-SYD-LAX flight, it approaches (and might be equal to) QF's standards. Average QF crew is probably better than an average AA crew, but otherwise AA looks better at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.