Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA "instant upgrade" (-UP, YUP) fare discount First (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SIZE="4"]AA "instant upgrade" (-UP) fare

Click here for the current thread.
[/SIZE]

These are often referred to as "instant upgrade" fares; they upgrade into the class of service P, A or I internationally with positive space; OSO / schedule disruptions mean unless the P, A, D, I etc. fare is offered on the new flight they "downgrade" to Coach on the next available flight. (One can wait for the next flight with P, A, D, I available, but this might require overnights etc. at one's expense.)

Purchasers should carefully read the Detailed Fare Rules, as many of these are, as essentially "instant upgrades", punitive in effect during IROPS / OSO", "change of gauge" aircraft substitutions, cancellations and missed connections because if the necessary fare inventory isn't available one is generally given the option to fly now, in Economy, or wait until such inventory becomes available (which may entail hours or days at the passenger's own expense).

The detailed fare codes for these flights might look like (international) GNE7C0Z1/CRUP or SNE7C0Z1/CRUP, Lxxxx, etc. Reaccommodation in Coach: these particular sample fates will be treated like an N class fare. As well: "The most restrictive set of fare rules applies to the entire itinerary. In addition other fare rules may apply."

In the detailed fare rules, instant upgrade fares may include something like this:

ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
E.G. During irregular operations or missed connections, one may continue in that class of service if A, P, D, I etc. as applicable is available, or the passenger can take a voluntary downgrade to the lower class of service / Y on an earlier flight. Some may do this if waiting for A, P or I requires one or more overnights.

Refunds may be limited to $0.50 per mile to a maximum of $50 per downgraded segment, and are limited to vouchers good for future travel on AA.

Link to compensation offered for an involuntary downgrade of "instant upgrade" fares:

Instant Upgrade tickets are booked in the Main Cabin. However, Instant upgrade ticketholders who travel in the Main Cabin due to an involuntary seat change, equipment change, routing change, flight cancellation, or missed connection as a result of a late incoming flight may request a travel voucher. The voucher value shall be equal to $0.10 per mile, or $50, whichever is greater, for each flight segment flown in the downgraded cabin. Refunds will be rounded to the nearest whole dollar amount, and can be requested at www.aa.com/refunds.
One explanatory post (15 Apr 2015) might be:

Originally Posted by FWAAA

Just moments ago, I priced out a trip from LAX to DFW, and two different discounted First Class ticket options were presented, the fare class of one was SA00ZNI1 (books into P) and the other was MA00ZRI1 (books into A).

At the bottom of the purchase summary screen, AA provides this warning:

■ First/Business Fares may be an Instant Upgrade and therefore subject to restrictions.
The fare rules for both tickets provide the following as the last entry:

Rule Application
and Other Conditions

NOTE THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INFORMATIONAL AND NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
Why does this matter? Because if I buy either of these tickets and then I decide that I want to fly an earlier or later flight, these fares will not permit me to walk up to the counter and claim a last-minute F seat if my capacity-controlled inventory is not available. For instance, if that last F seat is in F (not P or A), then I'd have to pay the fare difference in order to confirm a change to that seat.

We can (and have for years and years) argued around here that these fare practices are misleading - and I agree. Nevertheless, AA is most certainly still selling what it considers to be "instant upgrade" fares, and savvy travelers should read the fare rules* and plan accordingly.

*Or at least download them to your hard drive as a pdf at the time of reservation/purchase so that others might help decipher them when things go inverted. So often around here, people post questions where reading the fare rules is vital to an accurate answer, and they respond "who reads/saves those when buying a ticket?"

Back to the OP's question: How to find instant upgrade tickets? Nearly every domestic first class fare I've seen on aa.com is an instant upgrade ticket. Finding a domestic first class fare that isn't an instant upgrade fare is quite a chore. The OP can rest assured that if their fare books in P, A or F, they're going to earn their hoped-for tier points. As Microwave pointed out, the best/correct place for that discussion is in the British Airways forum where there are numerous BAEC members with experience in buying and flying on AA's instant upgrade F tickets.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA "instant upgrade" (-UP, YUP) fare discount First (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by danielonn
The OP should get more than just the refund as a gesture of Goodwill AA should either give the OP a voucher or extra miles to boot. Weight issues are beyond the customer's control and its not like weather delays. Weight and balances are determined in advance of a flight.

Could the OP have refused to sit in Y and asked American to fly him to his final destination in the original booked class? I really think its cheesy to offer a P Fare Instant Upgrade and not spell out that a downgrade may be done due to one reason or another.

AA did not plan well for using an aircraft such as the A 321 that would have these issues. I would like to know if the OP wanted to how many times has tis happened on the Hawaii flights that passengers were downgraded. I would also be contacting the DOT if I were the OP.

Please keep us posted .
I actually called the airline 2 times the week of the trip asking to be switched to an earlier flight. They couldn't foresee balance issues when a casual patron already noticed the flight was barely booked? I was worried it would be canceled to be honest. I've never seen a flight so light going to Hawaii. They should have known and been a little more proactive. And it wasn't like I paid a ridiculously low amount for this flight and it's no big deal. It was around $1100 RT which is twice the amount of coach on that flight. It just would have been nice to know ahead of time instead of literally walking to board and having your boarding pass flash in error. Literally NO mention of this until we boarded the plane.

It was the last flight of the day so I had no other flight options. Interestingly, they added a mid-day flight just a few weeks before using a 767. Very rarely do they have 3 flights a day on that route. Usually early AM on a 757 and the evening one on the 321. I would have done same-day flight change but first was fully booked on the mid-day flight at that point.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by MADPhil
It's odd that they could not have catered and served the FC meal given that they were willing to move people out of MCE to accommodate the displaced pax and keep them in a clump. It's also odd that they couldn't arrange the cargo for balance.
Aside from about 5 of us moved to MCE (possibly the ones that paid for P and didn't get upgrades?), the rest were throughout the cabin (mostly aisles seats). They did offer to give us credits for movies and likewise with coach food selections.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Update on possible downgrade/ booking class D / Vup fare

If some recall, I had 4 J seats reserved on a Sxm-jfk flight.

For the recap:
When I booked it, the a/c shown was a 767, fare code D and the fare basis was VNE3C0Z1/CRUP

Months after booking, the AC changed to a 757intl and only 1 of the 4 seats could be chosen and the rest of our party were listed in rows 5,6, which did not exist.

HUACA got me info that AA would change the A/C later and to sit tight.
I got a lot of good perspective on a now closed thread. There was some good discussion about what would happen.

Update:
the a/c Now looks like it changed to domestic MCE with 6 rows and we're now all assigned seats.

Having read the fare code basis, there is no way one could see this being an instant upgrade fare, which many felt this was. But seeing fare code "d" makes it tougher to decipher. So if we're downgraded, I will follow with the DOT as suggested.

Anyway, that's the update I said I'd provide. Still several weeks to go and I guess anything can still happen.

One new question. D fare show as RTW, discount business and y26nCP. <---what exactly is that
A at code? Google gives no info
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the phoenix
Update:
the a/c Now looks like it changed to domestic MCE with 6 rows and we're now all assigned seats.
I don't suppose there's any chance you can pick seats in row 1-4?

Having read the fare code basis, there is no way one could see this being an instant upgrade fare, which many felt this was. But seeing fare code "d" makes it tougher to decipher. So if we're downgraded, I will follow with the DOT as suggested.
Not sure I understand what you mean by "having read the fare code basis". The fare basis is "VNE3C0Z1/CRUP" and the booking code is "D". There's really nothing to read per se. If you mean you read the fare rules, then yeah, they don't often make clear if it's an instant upgrade. But in your case, the fare basis does indicate it's an -UP fare, with the /CRUP designator. It means it was an underlying VNE3C0Z1 coach fare (that would have booked in V), effectively upgraded to business class for an additional fee. If anything, it strengthens the argument that you paid for business class. Perhaps more importantly, it makes it rather easy to calculate the fare differential. If you can provide the original date you booked the flight, someone can probably look up the historical fares of both the V fare and the D-UP on ExpertFlyer. If, for some reason, you do end up flying in coach, this amount is the minimum that you should fight for, whether via AA or DOT.

One new question. D fare show as RTW, discount business and y26nCP. <---what exactly is that
A at code? Google gives no info
Not sure I understand what you're asking here at all. Why are you mentioning round-the-world fares? Maybe you could re-phrase?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MauiOC
Thanks! It was actually $112.61 but I rounded. When I finally got the refund amount, they said it was the cost of full-fare economy to discounted first class and that "Please note that fare prices fluctuate and are not always the same. There are many variables that determines the price of a flight."
Well, that's certainly one problem there - they should be calculating the difference between either discounted economy and discounted first class, or between full fare economy and full fare first class. They can't just pick and choose so it comes out most favorable for them.

This is precisely what the DOT complaint system is set up for (I would just ignore a few posters in particular), and if that doesn't get an appropriate response, small claims court.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, that's certainly one problem there - they should be calculating the difference between either discounted economy and discounted first class, or between full fare economy and full fare first class. They can't just pick and choose so it comes out most favorable for them.
Unfortunately it can decide what its method of calculaton is - it isn't the customer that gets to choose.

Even so, the airline has offered lower than its published amount of $248
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Smile

Originally Posted by ijgordon
But in your case, the fare basis does indicate it's an -UP fare, with the /CRUP designator. It means it was an underlying VNE3C0Z1 coach fare (that would have booked in V), effectively upgraded to business class for an additional fee. If anything, it strengthens the argument that you paid for business class. Perhaps more importantly, it makes it rather easy to calculate the fare differential. If you can provide the original date you booked the flight, someone can probably look up the historical fares of both the V fare and the D-UP on ExpertFlyer. If, for some reason, you do end up flying in coach, this amount is the minimum that you should fight for, whether via AA or DOT.

Not sure I understand what you're asking here at all. Why are you mentioning round-the-world fares? Maybe you could re-phrase?
-Booked in V? I guess that's what bug s me, that the fare code is D.

-since this all started, I signed up for expertflyer. takes a bit of getting used to. I'll look for the v fare but what's the D-up going to come up as? Mind if I pm you date info? I'll see if I'm doing it right if we arrive at the same values?

- when I looked up AA fare codes, it lists that fare code "D" is either RTW, discounted business class or Y26nYP fares. So I was trying to figure out what that "y26ncp" signified.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MauiOC
They are still flying the 757 on at least one flight a day to Hawaii. Not sure which option is better given how terribly old, dirty and out-of-date they are. I'm shocked they still fly those on such a long route.
And yet I would still book a 757 every time given the option due to its better legroom, seat comfort, recline, and the fact that it will outperform an A321 in any measurable way (including allowing a full 24 seat F cabin on a Hawaii flight).
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
So out of curiosity I just checked for an upcoming trip I will book this week for flying December 6-11. The flights I normally would book currently would book into P,A,A and P,P,P on the return. Where does AA actually point this out, that this is an instant upgrade fare. This was on AA.com, but this would usually booked through travel agent.

Even when I look at the fare rules, I don't see it. So far I have been lucky this year, only had 1 misconnect where I ended up in a middle seat in Y as the next flight 3 hours later had no open F seat and I would have had to wait for another 5 hours for a F seat. Distance of 646 miles and refund was $54.17.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
If some recall, I had 4 J seats reserved on a Sxm-jfk flight.

For the recap:
When I booked it, the a/c shown was a 767, fare code D and the fare basis was VNE3C0Z1/CRUP
fo
-Booked in V? I guess that's what bug s me, that the fare code is D.

-since this all started, I signed up for expertflyer. takes a bit of getting used to. I'll look for the v fare but what's the D-up going to come up as? Mind if I pm you date info? I'll see if I'm doing it right if we arrive at the same values?
The fare code is V. The first letter of the fare basis is the fare code.

Due to the instant upgrade this maps into D I am guessing. It is not a "D-UP" fare (which I think would be an international J to F instant up, ive bought those before... books to P.)

I cannot find your precise fare basis...but does the first part of the 'rule' mention this?

CLASS OF SERVICE
THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE.
If you can look up your specific fare rule, PM me the date and Ill look
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Gshumway
So out of curiosity I just checked for an upcoming trip I will book this week for flying December 6-11. The flights I normally would book currently would book into P,A,A and P,P,P on the return. Where does AA actually point this out, that this is an instant upgrade fare. This was on AA.com, but this would usually booked through travel agent.

Even when I look at the fare rules, I don't see it. So far I have been lucky this year, only had 1 misconnect where I ended up in a middle seat in Y as the next flight 3 hours later had no open F seat and I would have had to wait for another 5 hours for a F seat. Distance of 646 miles and refund was $54.17.
The code for the fare rules should be in the form x...UP...x but AA have now taken to putting it in plain text (without much explanation) somewhere in the process on aa.com
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Originally Posted by cmd320
And yet I would still book a 757 every time given the option due to its better legroom, seat comfort, recline, and the fact that it will outperform an A321 in any measurable way (including allowing a full 24 seat F cabin on a Hawaii flight).
We're talking LUS, ex-HP 757-200 here, not the LAA domestic version. 12F, beat-up standard recliners. There's a thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1185115-lus-b757-200-hawaii-version-master-thread.html

Sorry, in tablet mode, so hyperlink unavailable.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MADPhil
The code for the fare rules should be in the form x...UP...x but AA have now taken to putting it in plain text (without much explanation) somewhere in the process on aa.com
So the codes I see are GA10ZNI1, WA14ZNI1 and SA07ZNH3. Fare rules only have on the very bottom:

NOTE - THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INFORMATIONAL AND NOT
VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONE-CLASS UPGRADE
AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS.
APPLICATION
CLASS OF SERVICE
THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE.
CAPACITY LIMITATIONS
SEATS ARE LIMITED
BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES
MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES
PERMIT A ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
Nothing on AA.com shows it in the regular pages when trying to book that.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by iplaybass
We're talking LUS, ex-HP 757-200 here, not the LAA domestic version. 12F, beat-up standard recliners. There's a thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html

Sorry, in tablet mode, so hyperlink unavailable.
OP was flying from LAX on an A321 and was downgraded from F to Y (presumably for weight issues). When OP stated "they are still flying the 757 on one flight a day to Hawaii" I understood that as being from LAX. Unless pmUS aircraft have recently been relocated to LAX, I believe this would be a pmAA aircraft.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Gshumway
So the codes I see are GA10ZNI1, WA14ZNI1 and SA07ZNH3. Fare rules only have on the very bottom:

Nothing on AA.com shows it in the regular pages when trying to book that.
The passenger details page has below the "View Fare Rules" link:
First/Business Fares may be an Instant Upgrade and therefore subject to restrictions.
Which isn't very definitive but is a warning to look for the text that you found. The code doesn't appear to have "UP" embedded, which they used to. The bit about getting $0.10 per mile if you are downgraded is buried in the general FAQ. The whole thing is a mess and they should either make it clearer or just call them discounted First or Business with a lower place in the pecking order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.