Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA "instant upgrade" (-UP, YUP) fare discount First (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SIZE="4"]AA "instant upgrade" (-UP) fare

Click here for the current thread.
[/SIZE]

These are often referred to as "instant upgrade" fares; they upgrade into the class of service P, A or I internationally with positive space; OSO / schedule disruptions mean unless the P, A, D, I etc. fare is offered on the new flight they "downgrade" to Coach on the next available flight. (One can wait for the next flight with P, A, D, I available, but this might require overnights etc. at one's expense.)

Purchasers should carefully read the Detailed Fare Rules, as many of these are, as essentially "instant upgrades", punitive in effect during IROPS / OSO", "change of gauge" aircraft substitutions, cancellations and missed connections because if the necessary fare inventory isn't available one is generally given the option to fly now, in Economy, or wait until such inventory becomes available (which may entail hours or days at the passenger's own expense).

The detailed fare codes for these flights might look like (international) GNE7C0Z1/CRUP or SNE7C0Z1/CRUP, Lxxxx, etc. Reaccommodation in Coach: these particular sample fates will be treated like an N class fare. As well: "The most restrictive set of fare rules applies to the entire itinerary. In addition other fare rules may apply."

In the detailed fare rules, instant upgrade fares may include something like this:

ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
E.G. During irregular operations or missed connections, one may continue in that class of service if A, P, D, I etc. as applicable is available, or the passenger can take a voluntary downgrade to the lower class of service / Y on an earlier flight. Some may do this if waiting for A, P or I requires one or more overnights.

Refunds may be limited to $0.50 per mile to a maximum of $50 per downgraded segment, and are limited to vouchers good for future travel on AA.

Link to compensation offered for an involuntary downgrade of "instant upgrade" fares:

Instant Upgrade tickets are booked in the Main Cabin. However, Instant upgrade ticketholders who travel in the Main Cabin due to an involuntary seat change, equipment change, routing change, flight cancellation, or missed connection as a result of a late incoming flight may request a travel voucher. The voucher value shall be equal to $0.10 per mile, or $50, whichever is greater, for each flight segment flown in the downgraded cabin. Refunds will be rounded to the nearest whole dollar amount, and can be requested at www.aa.com/refunds.
One explanatory post (15 Apr 2015) might be:

Originally Posted by FWAAA

Just moments ago, I priced out a trip from LAX to DFW, and two different discounted First Class ticket options were presented, the fare class of one was SA00ZNI1 (books into P) and the other was MA00ZRI1 (books into A).

At the bottom of the purchase summary screen, AA provides this warning:

■ First/Business Fares may be an Instant Upgrade and therefore subject to restrictions.
The fare rules for both tickets provide the following as the last entry:

Rule Application
and Other Conditions

NOTE THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INFORMATIONAL AND NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
Why does this matter? Because if I buy either of these tickets and then I decide that I want to fly an earlier or later flight, these fares will not permit me to walk up to the counter and claim a last-minute F seat if my capacity-controlled inventory is not available. For instance, if that last F seat is in F (not P or A), then I'd have to pay the fare difference in order to confirm a change to that seat.

We can (and have for years and years) argued around here that these fare practices are misleading - and I agree. Nevertheless, AA is most certainly still selling what it considers to be "instant upgrade" fares, and savvy travelers should read the fare rules* and plan accordingly.

*Or at least download them to your hard drive as a pdf at the time of reservation/purchase so that others might help decipher them when things go inverted. So often around here, people post questions where reading the fare rules is vital to an accurate answer, and they respond "who reads/saves those when buying a ticket?"

Back to the OP's question: How to find instant upgrade tickets? Nearly every domestic first class fare I've seen on aa.com is an instant upgrade ticket. Finding a domestic first class fare that isn't an instant upgrade fare is quite a chore. The OP can rest assured that if their fare books in P, A or F, they're going to earn their hoped-for tier points. As Microwave pointed out, the best/correct place for that discussion is in the British Airways forum where there are numerous BAEC members with experience in buying and flying on AA's instant upgrade F tickets.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA "instant upgrade" (-UP, YUP) fare discount First (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jordyn
The answer to your question is "only some of them". Most (possibly all) domestic A- and P-fares are the "instant upgrade" variety. However, many international discount business (with fare basis in I) first (A or P) will book into A or P for domestic segments and these are "true" business/first fares, even on the domestic legs, not instant upgrades.

In your particular case, it's likely that the domestic portions are true business class fares (i.e. umaa83 is wrong again), unless AA is pricing the international and domestic legs separately, which is hard to say without seeing more details about your ticket.
I have never had an international ticket price into P when booking an I fare as all "one fare", it's always gone into A. When the domestic segment has been priced separately, I've gotten the P code. I have been told by AA agents that P is always an instant upgrade fare. If I have been told incorrectly, I stand corrected.

Otherwise, where else I have been wrong? If the OP had read the fare rules as they are encouraged to do, they would have seen they are booking an economy class ticket. It's stated twice on the fare rules and they are warned they may be purchasing a upgrade fare. If they were still puzzled, pick up the phone and call AA. End of debate, minimal compensation is due.

The conversation in this thread has drifted towards is it ethical, deceitful in it's current form and I won't go there because I just don't care enough. I personally always read a contract before making a decision, likely due to my line of work, so I'm rarely in this situation.

Last edited by umaa83; Aug 25, 2015 at 12:32 pm
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Originally Posted by cmd320
You can say it as many times as you'd like, that's not going to make it correct. Yes you are required to check the T&C box, however there are multiple problems with this. Even in the terms and conditions, the limitations of the fare are not made clear in any way. All it states, in very broken English mind you, is that availability must exist at the time of booking to sit in F. It does not state that this must be the case on the day of departure or at any time other than booking. It does not say that you will be seated in Y should F seats become unavailable on the day of departure. It is simply very misleading.

Answer this for me, why would they choose to market this as an F fare rather than an Instant Upgrade fare?

If someone was on full F and this situation happened, they could have removed an EXP, PLT, or GLD on a comp/sticker upgrade and placed the paid F individual in that seat. Even for this customer on the P fare, the same should have been done. In addition, I'm not buying the idea that there was no F available on any flights, connecting or otherwise, for the rest of the day. I think this was a combination of a very unfair and misleading practice and a very surly gate agent willing to go out of their way to not help the customer when things went south. I've seen it often enough to know just how that situation goes.
Technically... they are not denying you your F seat; it's just that an open F seat may not be available until next week/month. Also, if no one on the following flights is in F due to a UG instrument, who do they IDG/un instant-upgrade? I think instant upgrade pax need to be accomodated ahead of any UG instruments, but not those who "paid".

When I pay $700 more for a ticket in order to be seated in first class, if that does not happen, then the airline should owe me $700, and not tell me that I, "just bought a more expensive coach fare. You need to request a token amount back." The upgrade was purchased for a certain amount more than the lowest coach fare; therefore, the refund should be for that amount. If the lowest fare at the time of purchase is S, and you have to book into G to be eligible for the upgrade, then the airline should be obligated to return the difference between that G-UP fare (class of service purchased) and the S fare (service provided,) instead of treating it as a voluntary downgrade.

While force majeure is intended to protect airlines from being unfairly penalized for uncontrollable events, they definitely should not profit from said force, and that should be the basis of any DOT complaint. If STL has any bad weather this winter, I'll be standing in that line.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by umaa83
I have never had an international ticket price into P when booking an I fare as all "one fare", it's always gone into A. When the domestic segment has been priced separately, I've gotten the P code. I have been told by AA agents that P is always an instant upgrade fare. If I have been told incorrectly, I stand corrected.
PHL-NRT on Nov 21, 2015 (the random date I chose), a routing PHL-SAN-NRT has a P fare on PHL-SAN (I SAN-NRT) for which the fare rules say nothing about instant upgrade.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If one wishes to be sure they'll book into unrestricted Business or First, when you begin select "Refine your search"; on the page that leads to, select "Refundable" to be presented with fares that are generally not treated by AA as "instant upgrades".

In any case, do take the time to read the "Detailed fare rules" when presented with the opportunity, as otherwise you are buying a pig in a poke.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:37 pm

This is definitely not correct. P is used for discount first on international routes, and is definitely used for domestic segments as part of discount premium travel as well. Just as a "for example", PNW0MIO1 for travel between NYC and EZE books into P for both international and domestic segments, but it's definitely all priced as part of the discount first fare.

Otherwise, where else I have been wrong? If the OP had read the fare rules as they are encouraged to do, they would have seen they are booking an economy class ticket.
You are basically the only person that thinks this. When a bunch of hardened frequent fliers tell you its confusing and not at all obvious to the consumer, it's probably a good sign that it's going to be confusing to the point of being misleading to a typical user.

The conversation in this thread has drifted towards is it ethical, deceitful in it's current form and I won't go there because I just don't care enough. I personally always read a contract before making a decision, likely due to my line of work, so I'm rarely in this situation.
When it comes to misleading business practices, what's unethical can become illegal pretty quickly. (And the DOT is rather more strict with airlines than most states are with typical retail transactions.)
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
The OP would have been accommodated in FC, had they been willing to wait for the next available first class seat. No one at AA handcuffed them and walked them down and stuck them in Y. The OP made the decision to take the Y seat and is now being compensated based on the type of ticket he/she purchased.
This is not entirely true in practice. Even this, from the AA Customer Service Response is not correct in practice: "The ticket you purchased was a restricted fare that allows for First Class seating when available."

As scholity states, this is almost always the case:
"Sorry, this is patently not true in my experience in the same situation. Rebooking has rarely placed me in F when seats are available."

How is available defined? It's not. When - often especially when - irregular ops are occurring F seats are held back on flights to re-accommodate F passengers. A problem in irrops is that most gate agents will not re-accommodate UP-fare passengers into F; rather, they rebook into Y and add the passenger to the upgrade list with their respective status, if any. There are some knowledgeable and sympathetic gate agents who will either rebook directly into an open F seat or confirm the Y booking but code the upgrade status to precede sticker upgrades for the rescheduled flight. This should be standard practice but it's not.

And that's exactly the problem I have with the way these fares are marketed vs the manner in which they're handled by staff. If the replacement flight is F0 and I don't want to wait for the next flight that's not F0, then that's my problem. If the next flight is not F0 there is no reason AA should not reaccommodate UP-fares prior to sticker upgrades.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:54 pm

There are lots of AA points of contact other than an unhelpful gate agent who is downgrading or rebooking an UP fare passenger into Y, despite F1 A0 P0 inventory being available.

Just turn and walk away. Go back to ticketing, or to the Admirals Club, or to a customer service desk, or just call reservations.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
There are lots of AA points of contact other than an unhelpful gate agent who is downgrading or rebooking an UP fare passenger into Y, despite F1 A0 P0 inventory being available.

Just turn and walk away. Go back to ticketing, or to the Admirals Club, or to a customer service desk, or just call reservations.
Agree, I had a nightmare in Miami a couple of weeks ago. None of the AA staff on the ground were worth talking to. All completely uninterested. Gold line solved my issue on 3 minutes
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Colin

Agree completely.

And, although the most recent discussion seemed to revolve around a situation where there was no other F seat available, just generally speaking, if this was an IRROPS situation, there is language that says to protect in a cabin above economy: (underlining mine)

UP Fares
- Domestic Itineraries - May book on AA / US Prime flight in the applicable upper cabin inventory.

- International Itineraries - May book on AA / US Prime flight and AA*/US/BA/IB/JL/AY Codeshare in the applicable upper cabin inventory

- If the applicable upper cabin inventory is not available protect in the lowest available inventory in the same cabin as ticketed.

- If the upper ticketed cabin is not available, rebook in lower cabin.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
If one wishes to be sure they'll book into unrestricted Business or First, when you begin select "Refine your search"; on the page that leads to, select "Refundable" to be presented with fares that are generally not treated by AA as "instant upgrades".

In any case, do take the time to read the "Detailed fare rules" when presented with the opportunity, as otherwise you are buying a pig in a poke.
Nope, even that brings up A fares that state:

"NOTE - THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INFORMATIONAL AND NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING."

The only way to not see that text in the fare rules is to look for flights that have F fares.

Is the average consumer looking to buy a flight supposed to click through a bunch of fares under the same "First Flexible" columm to figure that out? Insane.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.85MM // AS MVPG100K // TK Elite Plus // AA EXP // Bonvoy TE // Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Was the GA rude? Based on the context and the way you've presented her in this thread, I'm inclined to think so.
From my perspective she was curt on the side of rude, yes. I tend to think that with a different approach to me, this could have had a much more positive outcome. As opposed to presenting it as if I wasn't entitled to a First Class seat to begin with...which is how it sort of felt when she said my fare was an economy fare with an upgrade. That is the part that pissed me off and then I no longer felt like being an understanding passenger working together as a team with a favored business partner to solve a problem.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.85MM // AS MVPG100K // TK Elite Plus // AA EXP // Bonvoy TE // Hyatt Explorist
I appreciate all the comments on this board. (well not ALL )

I'm glad to see I'm not alone on this issue and I feel much better knowing there are a lot of you out there with level heads who agree this is misleading and it is unreasonable to expect the large percentage of your customers to read the very fine print during a booking after the large print clearly shows that you clicked a First Class fare box and you wouldn't expect that to then later be contradicted.

The bottom line for me is just whether or not this is good business. Ultimately as an airline the customers you WANT are the ones who buy these more expensive, premium fares. Why then would you want to be anything but clear, concise, and fair with these very customers??? A good business wants these premium customers, who generate the lion's share of the revenue, to have a positive experience every time (if possible - sometimes it's not possible) and certainly to not walk away feeling cheated.

To ice the cake, it becomes the customer's responsibility to contact AA to request a refund for possibly $50? REALLY? They already disappointed the customer by providing less than the promised purchase...the least they can do is make it easy to get the refund.

I took the advice of many of you and wrote to the DOT focusing on the fact that this is a misleading practice that should not be continued. If airlines want to sell UP fares, they should clearly be differentiated from the First Class fare column and sold as economy with an upgrade and the fare rules which you agree to should also then clearly state what happens in IRROPS or situations such as this.

I'll follow up with this thread when I receive a response from DOT.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
If you buy one of these fares and end up flying in Y, whether voluntarily or involuntarily, you don't get the extra first class EQPs and mileage bonus. You get rebooked in Y and that's what posts. I spent 30 minutes with the EXP desk and AAdvantage CS today getting this straightened out for my wife's account. It was only a DFW-AUS segment, but the phone agents pulled the "she bought a coach fare and you only get the first class bonus miles/points if you actually fly in first class". After comparing it to an original routing credit I was finally able to persuade an AAdvantage agent to post an adjustment, but not before she made a phone call to get an OK.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
AA "instant upgrade" (YUP KUP -UP) ticket / fare (consolidated)

Wow I'm in shock with this thread because I assumed it only happened with Ual! I buy lowest-priced F tix and have upcoming SFO/ord for 3 pax. I can't deal with the upgrade uncertainties which is why I buy paid F. I comprehend P Z etc but wish these airlines didn't sell Y-UP under the F class on the websites. Blah. I still prefer aa over Ual but think VX F is simply F and no risk of Y-UP...
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA "instant upgrade" (YUP KUP -UP) ticket / fare (consolidated)

Unless something has changed in the last year or two (entirely possible), UA (and pmCO) had relatively generous downgrade comp, whether an elite upgrade was lost or a YUP.

AA's $50 or $0.10/mile is on the weaker side when you're usually looking at a $150 minimum o/w fare differential.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.