Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA "instant upgrade" (-UP, YUP) fare discount First (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SIZE="4"]AA "instant upgrade" (-UP) fare

Click here for the current thread.
[/SIZE]

These are often referred to as "instant upgrade" fares; they upgrade into the class of service P, A or I internationally with positive space; OSO / schedule disruptions mean unless the P, A, D, I etc. fare is offered on the new flight they "downgrade" to Coach on the next available flight. (One can wait for the next flight with P, A, D, I available, but this might require overnights etc. at one's expense.)

Purchasers should carefully read the Detailed Fare Rules, as many of these are, as essentially "instant upgrades", punitive in effect during IROPS / OSO", "change of gauge" aircraft substitutions, cancellations and missed connections because if the necessary fare inventory isn't available one is generally given the option to fly now, in Economy, or wait until such inventory becomes available (which may entail hours or days at the passenger's own expense).

The detailed fare codes for these flights might look like (international) GNE7C0Z1/CRUP or SNE7C0Z1/CRUP, Lxxxx, etc. Reaccommodation in Coach: these particular sample fates will be treated like an N class fare. As well: "The most restrictive set of fare rules applies to the entire itinerary. In addition other fare rules may apply."

In the detailed fare rules, instant upgrade fares may include something like this:

ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
E.G. During irregular operations or missed connections, one may continue in that class of service if A, P, D, I etc. as applicable is available, or the passenger can take a voluntary downgrade to the lower class of service / Y on an earlier flight. Some may do this if waiting for A, P or I requires one or more overnights.

Refunds may be limited to $0.50 per mile to a maximum of $50 per downgraded segment, and are limited to vouchers good for future travel on AA.

Link to compensation offered for an involuntary downgrade of "instant upgrade" fares:

Instant Upgrade tickets are booked in the Main Cabin. However, Instant upgrade ticketholders who travel in the Main Cabin due to an involuntary seat change, equipment change, routing change, flight cancellation, or missed connection as a result of a late incoming flight may request a travel voucher. The voucher value shall be equal to $0.10 per mile, or $50, whichever is greater, for each flight segment flown in the downgraded cabin. Refunds will be rounded to the nearest whole dollar amount, and can be requested at www.aa.com/refunds.
One explanatory post (15 Apr 2015) might be:

Originally Posted by FWAAA

Just moments ago, I priced out a trip from LAX to DFW, and two different discounted First Class ticket options were presented, the fare class of one was SA00ZNI1 (books into P) and the other was MA00ZRI1 (books into A).

At the bottom of the purchase summary screen, AA provides this warning:

■ First/Business Fares may be an Instant Upgrade and therefore subject to restrictions.
The fare rules for both tickets provide the following as the last entry:

Rule Application
and Other Conditions

NOTE THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INFORMATIONAL AND NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
Why does this matter? Because if I buy either of these tickets and then I decide that I want to fly an earlier or later flight, these fares will not permit me to walk up to the counter and claim a last-minute F seat if my capacity-controlled inventory is not available. For instance, if that last F seat is in F (not P or A), then I'd have to pay the fare difference in order to confirm a change to that seat.

We can (and have for years and years) argued around here that these fare practices are misleading - and I agree. Nevertheless, AA is most certainly still selling what it considers to be "instant upgrade" fares, and savvy travelers should read the fare rules* and plan accordingly.

*Or at least download them to your hard drive as a pdf at the time of reservation/purchase so that others might help decipher them when things go inverted. So often around here, people post questions where reading the fare rules is vital to an accurate answer, and they respond "who reads/saves those when buying a ticket?"

Back to the OP's question: How to find instant upgrade tickets? Nearly every domestic first class fare I've seen on aa.com is an instant upgrade ticket. Finding a domestic first class fare that isn't an instant upgrade fare is quite a chore. The OP can rest assured that if their fare books in P, A or F, they're going to earn their hoped-for tier points. As Microwave pointed out, the best/correct place for that discussion is in the British Airways forum where there are numerous BAEC members with experience in buying and flying on AA's instant upgrade F tickets.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA "instant upgrade" (-UP, YUP) fare discount First (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Are all tickets booked into P these "instant upgrade" fares or just some of them?

I've just purchased a business class return Europe-USA with the transatlantic flights booked into I and the US domestic flights booked into P. Does this mean I could end up in coach if I miss a connection or there are IRROPS?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by umaa83
The OP was stating they were under the impression that they had purchased a First class ticket and wanted to be compensated as such.
If you fly F and you get downgraded, you should get the fare difference back. AA doesn't offer any additional downgrade compensation. You've already agreed above that it's reasonable for the OP to expect the fare difference between their instant upgrade fare and the cheapest economy fare available, so you seem to agree this is reasonable compensation. Like I said, you are now arguing a distinction without a difference. The compensation for a first class downgrade and the compensation you have said would be reasonable are the same.

It doesn't matter in this case what Delta does or doesn't do. AA lists their policies and the OP was compensated accordingly. Ignorance is not a defense in this case since the OP would have been required to check the box saying they read the T&C, which clearly states it's an economy class ticket.
The terms and conditions linked to by that check-box are the conditions of carriage and not the fare rules. Nice try, though.

I'm also not ignoring a discrepancy in fine print. The OP would have been accommodated in FC, had they been willing to wait for the next available first class seat. No one at AA handcuffed them and walked them down and stuck them in Y. The OP made the decision to take the Y seat and is now being compensated based on the type of ticket he/she purchased. It also doesn't state anywhere in the booking process that you are booking a First/Business class fare, just which cabin you are in and the corresponding price. There's a lowest FARE option, but First/Business options is just the price you will pay for that cabin, not that you are buying a true F/J fare class. That's why there is a link to the T&Cs prior to entering your credit card information for purchase.
So are you saying "Choice" and "Choice Plus" are types of cabins on AA planes? If not, then it seems pretty obvious that AA is advertising different types of fares in the purchase process, not different places to sit. At the very least, they make no attempt to call out the distinction you are trying to make. No reasonable person would look at the current purchase path and have any idea that they were buying anything other than a first class fare. A few inscrutable words at the bottom of the fare rules (which are not even referenced in the check-box you keep referring to) can't override the clear expectation that AA is setting in its marketing. As basically everyone except for you seems to agree, this is deceptive and unfair and exactly the thing that the DOT is supposed to regulate under the ADA.

Whether or not AA should be required to have it flashing bright lights is between you and your local state representative because currently that's not the law.
Protip: states don't regulate airline prices or marketing.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by britenbsas
Are all tickets booked into P these "instant upgrade" fares or just some of them?

I've just purchased a business class return Europe-USA with the transatlantic flights booked into I and the US domestic flights booked into P. Does this mean I could end up in coach if I miss a connection or there are IRROPS?
The US domestic flight is technically the instant upgrade code P. If you miss your connection, if F is available on the next flight, you will get re-booked into F. If F is sold out, you will be given the option to sit in Y or wait for the next available flight with F space. No different then if you had booked a full fare F ticket. If F is sold out, you have to wait or fly Y. I wouldn't worry about it. I fly on P fares all the time and have never had an issue with re-booking. I either wait for F or I have them book me in Y.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver
Originally Posted by cmd320
...Okay, so here it finally states that this fare is a Y fare with an "instant one-class upgrade" and that "capacity limitations seats are limited both economy and first class booking inventories must be available at the time of booking." This sentence seems as though it was constructed by five employees who each spoke different languages, none of them English, and then spliced together. ...
LOL - I had just pulled this up on aa.com to read the fine print before commenting here and saw your post - 100% agree

1 - To the poster who stated that there is a 1% chance of IRROPS when purchasing an "instant upgrade" A/P fare and being denied a seat in F - sure, right, perhaps for someone who buys one of these per year. I've been in this situation 4 of the last 6 times this year alone (based in ORD - issues primarily WX related resulting in canceled flights or rerouting). I've never been re-accommodated in F even when inventory is clearly available. I've always been put on the standby list and played the gate lottery. I won't comment on the paltry reimbursement I've received when seated in Y and ask for "fare adjustment".

2 - To the posters who claim this is all strictly within the legal fine print of the fare rules - sure, right, let me ask you a question - just try to purchase a full fare first class ticket on aa.com. After selecting fare preference First/Business, you will be presented with two options - First or First Flexible. Guess what - BOTH of these book into inventories which have a coach fare basis with an instant upgrade.

Bottom line - it is impossible to book a full fare first class ticket on aa.com (unless of course all of the A inventory is depleted, common near departure date). AA is clearly selling most FC seats using Y fares with "auto upgrades". For them to not treat these as FC fares for IRROPS is clearly counter to what any "reasonable person" would expect. This needs to stop.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jordyn
If you fly F and you get downgraded, you should get the fare difference back. AA doesn't offer any additional downgrade compensation. You've already agreed above that it's reasonable for the OP to expect the fare difference between their instant upgrade fare and the cheapest economy fare available, so you seem to agree this is reasonable compensation. Like I said, you are now arguing a distinction without a difference. The compensation for a first class downgrade and the compensation you have said would be reasonable are the same.

The terms and conditions linked to by that check-box are the conditions of carriage and not the fare rules. Nice try, though.

So are you saying "Choice" and "Choice Plus" are types of cabins on AA planes? If not, then it seems pretty obvious that AA is advertising different types of fares in the purchase process, not different places to sit. At the very least, they make no attempt to call out the distinction you are trying to make. No reasonable person would look at the current purchase path and have any idea that they were buying anything other than a first class fare. A few inscrutable words at the bottom of the fare rules (which are not even referenced in the check-box you keep referring to) can't override the clear expectation that AA is setting in its marketing. As basically everyone except for you seems to agree, this is deceptive and unfair and exactly the thing that the DOT is supposed to regulate under the ADA.

Protip: states don't regulate airline prices or marketing.

Nice try yourself. I believe you mentioned up thread you are not an attorney and it's showing. "By checking this box I agree to the T&Cs, refund policy and privacy policy." Again what's linked next to that check box? The T&Cs which take you right back to the fare rules. The condition of carriage is just a part of what you are agreeing to.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver
The US domestic flight is technically the instant upgrade code P. If you miss your connection, if F is available on the next flight, you will get re-booked into F. If F is sold out, you will be given the option to sit in Y or wait for the next available flight with F space. No different then if you had booked a full fare F ticket. If F is sold out, you have to wait or fly Y. I wouldn't worry about it. I fly on P fares all the time and have never had an issue with re-booking. I either wait for F or I have them book me in Y.
Sorry, this is patently not true in my experience in the same situation. Rebooking has rarely placed me in F when seats are available. Plus, I think the original point has been lost in your response - if you choose to be seated in Coach, you're OK with not being compensated for the difference in fare between what you would have paid in Y at the time of booking and what you did pay for your instant upgrade that you have effectively lost via IRROPS?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:49 am

Nice try yourself. I believe you mentioned up thread you are not an attorney and it's showing. "By checking this box I agree to the T&Cs, refund policy and privacy policy." Again what's linked next to that check box? The T&Cs which take you right back to the fare rules. The condition of carriage is just a part of what you are agreeing to.
You're right--I had missed that the "terms and conditions" linked to the fare rules.

On the other hand, you seem to have conceded that we all agree on what the compensation should be, so I'm not sure what you're still arguing. At this point it's just a dispute over whether the DOT is going to view this as an unfair trade practice or not, and we don't have to argue about that, we just need to wait and see what happens.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I don't know how many times I have to say this but here it goes again. You are required to check the box attesting to the fact you read the T&C prior to purchase (it's not there for decoration). If the OP checked the box and didn't read it, it's not the airlines fault. All that is required under US law is that all terms and conditions of the ticket are disclosed. They are, and the buyer has to check a box saying they read it.

Again, AA didn't take away the OP's seat. They could have flown in F on the next available flight. Unfortunately, the next available flight wasn't soon so the OP agreed to fly in Y. The exact same thing would have happened to someone who had purchased a full fare F ticket, except the refund between F and Y I'm going to guess would have been greater.
You can say it as many times as you'd like, that's not going to make it correct. Yes you are required to check the T&C box, however there are multiple problems with this. Even in the terms and conditions, the limitations of the fare are not made clear in any way. All it states, in very broken English mind you, is that availability must exist at the time of booking to sit in F. It does not state that this must be the case on the day of departure or at any time other than booking. It does not say that you will be seated in Y should F seats become unavailable on the day of departure. It is simply very misleading.

Answer this for me, why would they choose to market this as an F fare rather than an Instant Upgrade fare?

If someone was on full F and this situation happened, they could have removed an EXP, PLT, or GLD on a comp/sticker upgrade and placed the paid F individual in that seat. Even for this customer on the P fare, the same should have been done. In addition, I'm not buying the idea that there was no F available on any flights, connecting or otherwise, for the rest of the day. I think this was a combination of a very unfair and misleading practice and a very surly gate agent willing to go out of their way to not help the customer when things went south. I've seen it often enough to know just how that situation goes.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
I just went in and did a dummy booking to "experience" the process for myself. I looked at flights from RDU to DFW - a route that I regularly travel. When initially choosing First class flights there is nothing ever stated about this fare having any restrictions until you get to the Review & Pay page (fourth page after selecting flights). When you are at that page when you click on the "View Fare Rules" you get the entire fare rules which I have pasted below. The final section of the rules which identifies the fare as an instant upgrade in no way suggests that you will be flying anything but first.

The difference in the ticket price for my booking was $566 between the lowest price coach fare and the "first" fare that the AA system offered ($753 v $187). That equates to paying $283 extra each way for the "first" fare they offer vs the lowest coach fare. However, under the $.10 per mile reimbursement that AA offers for "downgrade" you would only get $106 (1060 miles). Paying $283 for something and then being reimbursed $106 when it is not delivered does not make sense.

Ironically, the only "first" fare that comes up is the instant upgrade fare so if you want to book a "real" first class fare I cannot see how to do it on the AA web site. (updated at 11:33 - you can get to the full first ticket option by selecting advanced search options and then listing class of service as business/first. This gives you heading that says First, which is the upgrade fare, and First Flexible which appears to be a "real" first class ticket) Since the op-up fare is the only first class option offered under a regular search, I cannot see how an average person would have any other expectation than that it was a first class ticket.

How this is consider ethical and legal is beyond me and I hope that at some point the DOT steps in to rectify the system.

Detailed Fare Rules
The most restrictive set of fare rules applies to the entire itinerary. In addition other fare rules may apply.

City Pair Fare Basis Code Flight
RDU to DFW SD21ZNW1 (Displayed Below)
1215 RDU to DFW
DFW to RDU SD21ZNW1 View rules
1079 DFW to RDU
SD21ZNW1
Seasonality Not Applicable
Day Time Application Not Applicable
Advance Reservation Ticketing Restrictions RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 21 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. WAITLIST NOT PERMITTED. TICKETING FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP MUST BE COMPLETED BY MIDNIGHT 1 DAY AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE OR AT LEAST 21 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE WHICHEVER IS EARLIER. NOTE - ///---///---///---///---///---///---///---/// 1. SAME DAY STANDBY - A. ELIGIBILITY 1.AADVANTAGE EXECUTIVE PLATINUM/ PLATINUM/ GOLD PASSENGERS AND THEIR ONEWORLD EQUIVALENTS AND AAIRPASS MEMBERS TICKETED WITH ANY FARE MAY STANDBY ON THE SAME DAY AS TICKETED/ WITHOUT CHARGE AS NOTED BELOW. 2.PASSENGERS NOT QUALIFYING BY TIER STATUS AS DESCRIBED ABOVE WHO PURCHASED TICKETS FOR FIRST OR BUSINESS CLASS OR COACH FARES BOOKED IN Y/D/I/J/A/P/F INVENTORIES MAY STANDBY WITHOUT CHARGE AS NOTED BELOW. 3.MILITARY PASSENGERS AND THEIR DEPENDENTS MAY STANDBY WITHOUT CHARGE AS NOTED BELOW. 4.COMPANION FARE PASSENGERS WHO QUALIFY FOR SAME DAY STANDBY AS IDENTIFIED ABOVE/ MUST TRAVEL STANDBY ON THE SAME EXACT FLIGHTS. 5.PASSENGERS TRAVELING WITHIN THE US48 WITH FARE BASIS CODES ENDNG IN 7 OR 8 OR 9 MAY STANDBY WITHOUT CHARGE AS NOTED BELOW. 6.ALL OTHER PASSENGERS PURCHASING COACH TICKETS BOOKED IN H/B/K/M/L/W/V/G/S/N/Q/O INVENTORIES/ MAY NOT USE SAME DAY STANDBY. THESE PASSENGERS MAY USE SAME DAY FLIGHT CHANGE IDENTIFIED BELOW FOR A NONREFUNDABLE FEE. /SEE AA.COM FOR DETAILS. ///---///---///---///---///---///---///---///---// B. STANDBY CONDITIONS FOR ELIGIBLE PASSENGERS - 1.AADVANTAGE EXECUTIVE PLATINUM / PLATINUM/ GOLD PASSENGERS AND THEIR ONEWORLD EQUIVA- LENTS AND AAIRPASS MEMBERS AND ALL OTHER PASSENGERS MENTIONED IN 1 ABOVE MAY STANDBY FOR EARLIER/LATER SAME DAY FLIGHTS 2.PASSENGERS MUST BE HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVA- TIONS AND TICKETS FOR FLIGHTS OPERATED AS AMERICAN AIRLINES/ AMERICAN EAGLE OR AMERICAN CONNECTION 3.STANDBY IS PERMITTED FOR SAME DAY AA NONSTOP AND/OR CONNECTING FLIGHTS BETWEEN THE SAME ORIGIN AND DESTINATION AIRPORTS PROVIDED THE ROUTING IS APPLICABLE FOR THE FARE CHARGED. 4.WHEN TICKETED TO/FROM HOU/NYC/WAS - CHECK FLIGHT APPLICATION FOR ANY AIRPORT RESTRICTION. ///---///---///---///---///---///---///---///---// 2. SAME DAY FLIGHT CHANGE/SDFC/ A. ELIGIBILITY 1.EXECUTIVE PLATINUM MEMBERS MAY USE SAME DAY FLIGHT CHANGE WITHOUT CHARGE. 2.PASSENGERS WHO PURCHASED TICKETS FOR FIRST OR BUSINESS OR COACH CLASS BOOKED IN Y/D/I/J/A/P/F INVENTORIES MAY USE SAME DAY FLIGHT CHANGE WITHOUT CHARGE AS NOTED BELOW. 3.PASSENGERS TRAVELING WITHIN THE US48 WITH FARE BASIS CODES ENDING IN 7 OR 8 OR 9 MAY USE SAME DAY FLIGHT CHANGE FREE OF CHARGE AS NOTED BELOW. 4.ALL OTHER PASSENGERS PURCHASING COACH FARE TICKETS BOOKED IN H/B/K/M/L/W/V/G/S/N/Q/O INVENTORIES MAY CONFIRM TRAVEL USING SAME DAY FLIGHT CHANGE FOR A NONREFUNDABLE FEE /SEE AA.COM FOR DETAILS/. ///---///---///---///---///---///---///---///---// B.SAME DAY FLIGHT CHANGE CONDITIONS FOR ELIG PSGRS 1.THE REQUEST FOR SDFC IS MADE WITHIN 24 HOURS OF THE ALTERNATE FLIGHT/S DEPARTURE TIME. 2.THERE IS NO CHANGE TO THE ORIGIN/DESTINATION. 3.NEW FLIGHT/S/ AND ROUTING ARE PERMITTED PER THE TICKETED FARE RULE. 4.ALL TRAVEL IS ON AMERICAN AIRLINES/ AMERICAN EAGLE AND AMERICAN CONNECTION. 5.REQUESTS ARE MADE VIA AIRPORT SELF-SERVICE CHECK-IN/ TICKET COUNTERS /INCLUDING ADMIRALS CLUBS AND PREMIUM SERVICES/ OR BY CALLING AA RESERVATIONS. 6.CHANGES PERMITTED TO OUTBOUND OR CONTINUING/ RETURN FLIGHTS. 7.CONFIRMATION IS SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY. 8.ALTERNATE FLIGHT IS ON SAME TICKETED DATE. ///--///--///--///--///--///--///--///--///--/// REQUESTS MADE MORE THAN 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE OF THE ALTERNATE FLIGHT/S DEPARTURE TIME WILL BE PROCESSED FOLLOWING THE GUIDELINES FOR RESERVATION CHANGES/ WHICH MAY INCLUDE COLLECTION OF APPLICABLE CHANGE FEES PLUS DIFFERENCE IN FARE. SEE PENALTIES
Surcharges IF INFANT 0-1 WITHOUT A SEAT. THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR TRAVEL PER FARE COMPONENT. OTHERWISE A SURCHARGE OF USD 23.25 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL ON 13AUG 15. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 13.95 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL ON 14AUG 15. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 23.25 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL ON 16AUG 15. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 13.95 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL ON 17AUG 15. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 13.95 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL ON 07SEP 15. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL FROM 20NOV 15 THROUGH 21NOV 15. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL FROM 24NOV 15 THROUGH 25NOV 15. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 27.90 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL ON 28NOV 15. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 55.81 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL ON 29NOV 15. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 37.21 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL ON 30NOV 15. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 27.91 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL FROM 18DEC 15 THROUGH 19DEC 15. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL FROM 20DEC 15 THROUGH 23DEC 15. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL ON 26DEC 15. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 27.91 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL ON 27DEC 15. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL FROM 28DEC 15 THROUGH 30DEC 15. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 27.91 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL ON 02JAN 16. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 46.51 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL ON 03JAN 16. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 27.91 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL ON 04JAN 16. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL FROM 11FEB 16 THROUGH 12FEB 16. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL ON 15FEB 16. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL ON MON/ THU/SAT FROM 10MAR 16 THROUGH 04APR 16. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 23.25 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL ON FRI FROM 10MAR 16 THROUGH 04APR 16. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 27.91 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL ON SUN FROM 10MAR 16 THROUGH 04APR 16. NOTE - THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS.
Maximum Stay Not Applicable
Eligibility Not Applicable
Sales Restrictions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
Flight Applications AND - FOR TRAVEL ON/AFTER 05NOV 15 AND ON/BEFORE 22NOV 16 THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING AA FLIGHTS 1 THROUGH 4 AA FLIGHTS 9 THROUGH 10 AA FLIGHT 12 AA FLIGHTS 15 THROUGH 24 AA FLIGHTS 27 THROUGH 28 AA FLIGHT 30 AA FLIGHT 32 AA FLIGHTS 33 THROUGH 34 AA FLIGHT 85 AA FLIGHTS 117 THROUGH 118 AA FLIGHT 125 AA FLIGHT 133 AA FLIGHTS 163 THROUGH 164 AA FLIGHTS 171 THROUGH 172 AA FLIGHT 177 AA FLIGHT 179 AA FLIGHT 180 AA FLIGHT 181 AA FLIGHT 185 AA FLIGHT 212 AA FLIGHTS 255 THROUGH 256 AA FLIGHT 276 AA FLIGHTS 292 THROUGH 293 AA FLIGHT 1352. AND - FOR TRAVEL ON/AFTER 23NOV 15 THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING AA FLIGHTS 1 THROUGH 4 AA FLIGHTS 9 THROUGH 10 AA FLIGHT 12 AA FLIGHTS 15 THROUGH 24 AA FLIGHTS 27 THROUGH 28 AA FLIGHT 30 AA FLIGHT 32 AA FLIGHTS 33 THROUGH 34 AA FLIGHT 85 AA FLIGHTS 117 THROUGH 118 AA FLIGHT 133 AA FLIGHTS 163 THROUGH 164 AA FLIGHTS 171 THROUGH 172 AA FLIGHT 177 AA FLIGHT 179 AA FLIGHT 180 AA FLIGHT 181 AA FLIGHT 185 AA FLIGHT 208 AA FLIGHTS 255 THROUGH 256 AA FLIGHT 276 AA FLIGHTS 292 THROUGH 293 AA FLIGHT 909 AA FLIGHT 1403. AND THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING AA FLIGHT 24 AA FLIGHT 85 AA FLIGHT 208 AA FLIGHT 252 AA FLIGHT 1403 AA FLIGHT 2415 AA FLIGHTS 6000 THROUGH 9999. AND THE FARE COMPONENT MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY US.
Minimum Stay FOR TRAVEL ON/AFTER 02JAN 16 WHEN DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN IS SUN THROUGH WED THEN TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 3 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN OR - WHEN DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN IS THU THROUGH FRI THEN TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SAT AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN OR - WHEN DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN IS SAT THEN TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.
Embargo Dates Not Applicable
Penalties CANCELLATIONS TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE. NOTE - TICKET HAS NO VALUE UNLESS PASSENGER CANCELS TICKETED FLIGHT RESERVATIONS PRIOR TO TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME. CHANGES CHARGE USD 200.00 FOR REISSUE. NOTE - IF PASSENGER CANCELS TICKETED FLIGHT RESERVATION PRIOR TO TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME/ TRAVEL THAT IS REBOOKED IS VALID AS FOLLOWS. 1/WHOLLY UNUSED TICKETS ARE VALID PROVIDED TRAVEL COMMENCES WITHIN ONE YEAR FROM THE ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUE DATE OR 2/ PARTIALLY USED TICKETS ARE VALID PROVIDED TRAVEL IS COMPLETED WITHIN ONE YEAR FROM THE OUTBOUND TRAVEL DATE ON THE ORIGINAL TICKET. SERVICE CHARGE APPLIES. IF TICKETED FLIGHT RESERVATION IS NOT CANCELLED PRIOR TO TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME/ REBOOKING IS NOT PERMITTED AND THE TICKET HAS NO VALUE. --- FARE DIFFERENCE AND SERVICE CHARGE MUST BE PAID AND TICKET MUST BE REISSUED WHEN ITINERARY IS REBOOKED. --- IF MULTIPLE CHANGES ARE MADE AT THE SAME TIME/ ONLY ONE SERVICE CHARGE WILL APPLY PER TICKET. IF FARES WITH DIFFERENT SERVICE CHARGES ARE COMBINED ON THE SAME TICKET/ THE HIGHEST CHARGE OF ALL CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS WILL APPLY. --- WHENEVER A NONREFUNDABLE FARE TICKET IS REISSUED TO A REFUNDABLE FARE/ A NONREFUNDABLE NOTATION MUST BE MADE IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX OF THE NEW TICKET. THE ORIGINAL NONREFUNDABLE VALUE REMAINS NONREFUNDABLE FOR ANY SUBSEQUENT REISSUES. --- CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN BY THOSE OF AA INTERNATIONAL FARES. --- GUARANTEED AIRFARE RULE- TRANSPORTATION IS SUBJECT TO THE RULES/ FARES AND CHARGES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE/ TIME OF TICKET ISSUANCE OR PREPAID TICKET ADVICE PURCHASE. SHOULD FARES INCREASE AFTER TICKET PURCHASE/ NO INCREASE IN FARE WILL BE COLLECTED PROVIDED THE ORIGINATING FLIGHT COUPON OF THE TICKET REFLECTING A CONFIRMED RESERVATION HAS NOT BEEN VOLUNTARILY CHANGED/ AND PROVIDED THAT VOLUNTARY CHANGES FOR FLIGHT COUPONS OTHER THAN THE ORGINATING FLIGHT DO NOT REFLECT A CHANGE IN CARRIER/ FARE BASIS/ ORIGIN/ DESTINATION OR STOPOVER POINTS FROM THOSE FOUND ON THE TICKET. IF AFTER TICKET HAS BEEN ISSUED AND BEFORE ANY PORTION HAS BEEN USED EITHER A DECREASE IN THE FARES OR CHARGES APPLICABLE TO THE TRANSPORTATION SHOWN ON THE TICKET BECOMES EFFECTIVE/ OR A NEW FARE FOR WHICH THE PASSENGER QUALIFIES IS ADDED BETWEEN THE POINTS SHOWN ON THE TICKET/ THE DIFFERENCE IN FARES WILL BE REFUNDED AS STATED BELOW/ IN THE FORM OF A NONREFUNDABLE TRANSPORTATION VOUCHER/ PROVIDED A. THERE IS NO CHANGE IN TICKETED ORIGIN/ DESTINATION/ STOPOVER POINTS/ FLIGHTS/ DATES B. ALL CONDITIONS OF THE DECREASED FARES OR CHARGES OF THE NEW FARE ARE MET/ INCLUDING BOOKING CODE AND ADVANCE RESERVATIONS AND TICKETING REQUIREMENTS C. ADVANCE RESERVATION REQUIREMENTS ARE MEASURED FROM THE ORIGINAL TICKET DATE TO THE DEPARTURE OF THE PRICING UNIT D. THE PASSENGER WILL RECEIVE THE DIFFERENCE IN FARES LESS THE APPLICABLE SERVICE CHARGE IN THE FORM OF A NONREFUNDABLE AA TRAVEL VOUCHER VALID FOR ONE YEAR FROM THE DATE OF ISSUE --- I. PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OF THE JOURNEY - CHANGES TO THE ORIGINATING FLIGHT ON THE TICKET - CANCEL AND START OVER. --- 1. THE ENTIRE TICKET MUST BE REPRICED WITH FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF NEW TICKET ISSUANCE. 2. USE ANY AA FARE ALLOWED BY COMBINATION AND REISSUE RULES. 3. ALL PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARE I.E. ADV RSVN/MIN/MAX STAY/ INVENTORY ETC MUST BE MET 4. ADVANCE RESERVATION REQUIREMENTS ARE MEASURED FROM THE REISSUE DATE TO THE DEPARTURE OF THE PRICING UNIT. 5. ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARES PLUS THE SERVICE CHARGE MUST BE COLLECTED. IF THE REPRICE RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE/ THE DIFFERENCE IN FARES LESS THE SERVICE CHARGE MAY BE RETURNED IN THE FORM OF A NONREFUNDABLE TRAVEL VOUCHER VALID FOR TRAVEL VIA AA ONLY. --- II. PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OF THE JOURNEY - CHANGES TO CONTINUING/RETURN FLIGHTS WHEN THERE IS NO CHANGE TO ORIGIN/DESTINATION OR STOPOVERS. THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE AND THE LOWEST SOLUTION WILL APPLY. --- A. ATTEMPT TO KEEP THE SAME FARES AS TICKETED. REPRICE THE ITINERARY USING THE SAME FARE BASIS CODE/ SAME FARE LEVEL/ SAME RULES AS TICKETED/ THAT IS/ THOSE IN EFFECT AT THE TIME THE ORIGINAL TICKET WAS SOLD. 1.NO CHANGE IS PERMITTED TO STOPOVER/ THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT OR FARE BREAKS. 2.THE TICKETED FARE BASIS CODE/ SAME RULE MUST BE USED AS THE REPLACEMENT FARE FOR THE REVISED FARE COMPONENT ON THE NEW TICKET. 3.NEW FARE MUST BE EQUAL TO THE PREVIOUS FARE. COMPARE BASE FARE VALUES FOR THE REVISED FARE COMPONENT TO THAT OF THE TICKETED FARE COMPONENT. 4.ALL RULE/BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS MUST BE MET. 5.FLIGHT SPECIFIC FARES MUST REMAIN WITHIN THE TIMES SPECIFIED FOR THAT FARE. 6.ADVANCE RESERVATION REQUIREMENTS ARE MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TICKET DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT. 7.SERVICE CHARGE APPLIES. --- B. CANCEL AND START OVER. REPRICE THE ITINEARY USING FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF NEW TICKET ISSUANCE. 1.USE ANY AA FARE ALLOWED BY COMBINATION AND REISSUE RULES. 2.ALL RULE/BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARE MUST BE MET. 3.ADVANCE RESERVATION REQUIREMENTS ARE MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO DEPARTURE OF THE PRICING UNIT. 4.ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARES PLUS THE SERVICE CHARGE MUST BE COLLECTED. IF THE REPRICE RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE/ THE DIFFERENCE IN FARES LESS THE SERVICE CHARGE MAY BE RETURNED IN THE FORM OF A NONREFUNDABLE TRAVEL VOUCHER VALID FOR TRAVEL VIA AA ONLY --- C. REPRICE THE ITINERARY USING THE SAME FARE BASIS CODES AND RULES AS THOSE IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUANCE FOR UNCHANGED FARE COMPONENTS AND USING FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF NEW TICKET ISSUANCE FOR ALL CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS. 1.NO CHANGE IS PERMITTED TO STOPOVER/ THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT OR FARE BREAKS. 2.THE TICKETED SAME FARE MUST BE USED ON THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT. 3.USE ANY AA FARES ALLOWED BY COMBINATION AND REISSUE RULES. 4.NEW FARE MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS FARE. COMPARE BASE FARE VALUES FOR THE REVISED FARE COMPONENT TO THAT OF THE TICKETED FARE COMPONENT. 5.WHEN THE SAME FARE AS TICKETED IS USED IN REPRICE FOR THE REVISED FARE COMPONENT/ ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS MUST BE MET . 6.OTHERWISE ALL RULE PROVISIONS MUST BE MET. 7.ADVANCE RESERVATION REQUIREMENTS ARE MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TICKET DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT. 8.ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARES PLUS THE SERVICE CHARGE MUST BE COLLECTED. IF THE REPRICE RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE/ THE DIFFERENCE IN FARES LESS THE SERVICE CHARGE MAY BE RETURNED IN THE FORM OF A NONREFUNDABLE TRAVEL VOUCHER VALID FOR TRAVEL VIA AA ONLY --- III. PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OF THE JOURNEY- CHANGES TO THE CONTINUING/RETURN FLIGHTS WHEN THERE IS A CHANGE TO ORIGIN/DESTINATION OR STOPOVERS. --- A. CANCEL AND START OVER. REPRICE THE ITINEARY USING FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF NEW TICKET ISSUANCE. 1.USE ANY AA FARE ALLOWED BY COMBINATION AND REISSUE RULES. 2.ALL RULE/BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARE MUST BE MET. 3.ADVANCE RESERVATION REQUIREMENTS ARE MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO DEPARTURE OF THE PRICING UNIT. 4.ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARES PLUS THE SERVICE CHARGE MUST BE COLLECTED. IF THE REPRICE RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE/ THE DIFFERENCE IN FARES LESS THE SERVICE CHARGE MAY BE RETURNED IN THE FORM OF A NONREFUNDABLE TRAVEL VOUCHER VALID FOR TRAVEL VIA AA ONLY --- IV. AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE JOURNEY - WHEN THERE IS NO CHANGE TO ORIGIN/DESTINATION OR STOPOVERS. THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE AND THE LOWEST SOLUTION WILL APPLY. --- A. ATTEMPT TO KEEP THE SAME FARES AS TICKETED. REPRICE THE ITINERARY USING THE SAME FARE BASIS CODE/ SAME FARE LEVEL/ SAME RULES AS TICKETED/ THAT IS/ THOSE IN EFFECT AT THE TIME THE ORIGINAL TICKET WAS SOLD. 1.NO CHANGE IS PERMITTED TO STOPOVER/THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT OR FARE BREAKS. 2.THE TICKETED FARE BASIS CODE/ SAME RULE MUST BE USED AS THE REPLACEMENT FARE FOR THE REVISED FARE COMPONENT ON THE NEW TICKET. 3.NEW FARE MUST BE EQUAL TO THE PREVIOUS FARE. COMPARE BASE FARE VALUES FOR THE REVISED FARE COMPONENT TO THAT OF THE TICKETED FARE COMPONENT. 4.ALL RULE/BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS MUST BE MET. 5.FLIGHT SPECIFIC FARES MUST REMAIN WITHIN THE TIMES SPECIFIED FOR THAT FARE. 6.ADVANCE RESERVATION REQUIREMENTS ARE MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TICKET DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT. 7.SERVICE CHARGE APPLIES. --- B. REPRICE THE ITINERARY USING THE SAME FARE BASIS CODES AND RULES AS THOSE IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUANCE FOR UNCHANGED FARE COMPONENTS AND USING FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF NEW TICKET ISSUANCE FOR ALL CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS. 1.NO CHANGE IS PERMITTED TO STOPOVER/ THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT OR FARE BREAKS. 2.THE TICKETED SAME FARE MUST BE USED ON THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT. 3.USE ANY AA FARES ALLOWED BY COMBINATION AND REISSUE RULES. 4.NEW FARE MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS FARE. COMPARE BASE FARE VALUES FOR THE REVISED FARE COMPONENT TO THAT OF THE TICKETED FARE COMPONENT. 5.WHEN THE SAME FARE AS TICKETED IS USED IN REPRICE FOR THE REVISED FARE COMPONENT/ ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS MUST BE MET 6.OTHERWISE ALL RULE PROVISIONS MUST BE MET. 7.ADVANCE RESERVATION REQUIREMENTS ARE MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TICKET DATE TO DEPARTURE OF THE PRICING UNIT. 8.ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARES PLUS THE SERVICE CHARGE MUST BE COLLECTED. --- C. REPRICE THE ITINERARY USING HISTORICAL ONE WAY FARES FROM THE PREVIOUS TICKET ISSUE DATE FOR FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS/ IN AN EQUAL OR HIGHER BOOKING CLASS. USE FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF NEW TICKET ISSUANCE FOR ALL UNFLOWN COMPONENTS. 1.FARE BREAKS FOR THE FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS MAY NOT BE CHANGED. 2.USE BOOKING CLASS HIERARCHY WHEN REPLACING FARES FOR FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS. THE HIERARCHY IS ECONOMY CLASS - Y B H K M L W V G S N Q O BUSINESS CLASS - J D I C FIRST CLASS - F A P 3.USE ANY AA ONE WAY FARE ALLOWED BY COMBINATION AND REISSUE RULES. 4.ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARES MUST BE MET. 5.ADVANCE RESERVATION REQUIREMENTS ARE MEASURED FROM THE REISSUE DATE TO DEPARTURE DATE OF THE PRICING UNIT. 6.COMPARE THE TOTAL FROM THE ORIGNAL TICKET TO THE NEW TOTAL OF THE FLOWN AND UNFLOWN FARE COMPONENTS. 7.ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARES PLUS THE SERVICE CHARGE MUST BE COLLECTED. IF THE REPRICE RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE/ THE DIFFERENCE IN FARES LESS THE SERVICE CHARGE MAY BE RETURNED IN THE FORM OF A NONREFUNDABLE TRAVEL VOUCHER VALID FOR TRAVEL VIA AA ONLY. --- V. AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE JOURNEY - CHANGES TO CONTINUING/RETURN FLIGHTS WHEN THERE IS A CHANGE TO ORIGIN/DESTINATION OR STOPOVERS. --- A. REPRICE THE ITINERARY USING HISTORICAL ONE WAY FARES FROM THE PREVIOUS TICKET ISSUE DATE FOR FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS/ IN AN EQUAL OR HIGHER BOOKING CLASS. USE FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF NEW TICKET ISSUANCE FOR ALL UNFLOWN COMPONENTS. 1.FARE BREAKS FOR THE FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS MAY NOT BE CHANGED. 2.USE BOOKING CLASS HIERARCHY WHEN REPLACING FARES FOR FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS. THE HIERARCHY IS ECONOMY CLASS - Y B H K M L W V G S N Q O BUSINESS CLASS - J D I C FIRST CLASS - F A P 3.USE ANY AA ONE WAY FARE ALLOWED BY COMBINATION AND REISSUE RULES. 4.ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARES MUST BE MET. 5.ADVANCE RESERVATION REQUIREMENTS ARE MEASURED FROM THE REISSUE DATE TO DEPARTURE DATE OF THE PRICING UNIT. 6.COMPARE THE TOTAL FROM THE ORIGNAL TICKET TO THE NEW TOTAL OF THE FLOWN AND UNFLOWN FARE COMPONENTS. 7.ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARES PLUS THE SERVICE CHARGE MUST BE COLLECTED. IF THE REPRICE RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE/ THE DIFFERENCE IN FARES LESS THE SERVICE CHARGE MAY BE RETURNED IN THE FORM OF A NONREFUNDABLE TRAVEL VOUCHER VALID FOR TRAVEL VIA AA ONLY. --- VI. AFTER EACH TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME 1. NO CHANGES PERMITTED IF PASSENGER HAS NOT CANCELLED THE TICKETED FLIGHT RESERVATION. 2. TICKET HAS NO VALUE IF PASSENGER HAS NOT CANCELLED THE TICKETED FLIGHT RESERVATION. --- VII. IN THE CASE OF THE DEATH OF THE PASSENGER/ IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER/ OR A TRAVELING COMPANION/ THE SERVICE CHARGE MAY BE WAIVED OR THE TICKET REFUNDED PROVIDED A COPY OF THE DEATH CERTIFICATE IS PRESENTED TO AA. REFUND WILL BE IN THE FORM OF A NONREFUNDABLE TRANSPORTATION VOUCHER THAT MAY BE USED FOR FUTURE TRAVEL ON AA ONLY. IN THE CASE OF THE PASSENGER/S DEATH THE REFUND WILL BE TO THE PASSENGER/S ESTATE VIA THE ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT. ALL REFUND REQUESTS MUST BE SENT TO AA PASSENGER REFUNDS.
Child Discount INFANT UNDER 2 WITHOUT A SEAT - NO CHARGE MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS IN SAME COMPARTMENT BY ADULT 16 OR OLDER OR - INFANT UNDER 2 WITH A SEAT - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE. MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS IN SAME COMPARTMENT BY ADULT 16 OR OLDER.
Rule Application and Other Conditions NOTE - THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INFORMATIONAL AND NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.

Last edited by DevilDawg1960; Aug 25, 2015 at 9:34 am
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Nice try yourself. I believe you mentioned up thread you are not an attorney and it's showing. "By checking this box I agree to the T&Cs, refund policy and privacy policy." Again what's linked next to that check box? The T&Cs which take you right back to the essentially illegible, punctuation-and-capitalization free fare rules. The condition of carriage is just a part of what you are agreeing to.
I clarified your statement. If I didn't already know the wording I was looking for, there is no way I could find the indication that this is an instant upgrade fare, as DevilDawg1960 helpfully reminded us. I'm the one who said I'm not a lawyer, but again, my non-lawyer understanding is that boxes that certify that the purchaser read an unreasonable wall of terms and conditions text are not binding when those fine print terms and conditions contradict the large print.

Again, AA could fix this deceptiveness very easily by returning to labeling these fares as "Instant Upgrade" instead of "First". And the fact that there is no non-Instant Upgrade First fare available on AA.com at all in many/most advance purchase cases (so even the advice to avoid these fares isn't practical if a customers wants to buy first) further indicates that a reasonable customer would have a reasonable expectation that these are first class fares.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any basis for a partial refund would potentially fall in the argument that the OP purchased a more expensive economy ticket allowing for a one class upgrade, per the T&C, and due to operational reasons that upgrade could not be accommodate in a reasonable time. A difference in fare between economy fares would be due, not first class.
Sure - it's quite easy, in general, to determine the difference in price between, say, a SHX14P fare basis code (making up the letters...), and a SHX14P/WAUP fare basis code, the former being the underlying economy fare, and the latter being the economy fare with "free" upgrade.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Also, if I went to book an F ticket over the phone, I know the phone agent isn't going to sit there and disclose the terms and conditions to me, but could easily book me into P class. In that instance the customer would have absolutely no idea.
Part of me wonders if these UP fares are even available over the phone. AA tends to have lots of web-only fares.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Part of me wonders if these UP fares are even available over the phone. AA tends to have lots of web-only fares.
Well the answer to that question is every bit as clear as AA makes it that these "First" fares are really economy fares.

Sales Restrictions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
It's certainly obvious to me which clauses all those ANDs and ORs apply to. Just like it's clear what "SPECIFIC AGENTS" means.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by britenbsas

The answer to your question is "only some of them". Most (possibly all) domestic A- and P-fares are the "instant upgrade" variety. However, many international discount business (with fare basis in I) first (A or P) will book into A or P for domestic segments and these are "true" business/first fares, even on the domestic legs, not instant upgrades.

In your particular case, it's likely that the domestic portions are true business class fares (i.e. umaa83 is wrong again), unless AA is pricing the international and domestic legs separately, which is hard to say without seeing more details about your ticket.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Mixing and matching words such as "refund", "compensation" and "gesture" is fine on a day-to-day basis, but not here.

1. There is no refund due because OP flew in the class of service for which he paid.
2. There is no compensation due for the same reason.
3. AA in its sole discretion chooses to provide a customer service gesture which it pegs at a max of $50 in the form of a voucher. Note that refunds are to the original form of payment. Funny money is to soothe the pain, a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.