Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

RBC Avion points and conversion to AA miles

RBC Avion points and conversion to AA miles

Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dominick
How long would this total process take should I start off with points in AC going through all the transfers?
CO -> Esso using points.com took a few hours, so I assume AC -> Esso is the same. Esso -> RBC takes 2-3 days, as does RBC -> BA/AA. So I figure a week.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Any news of possible promotion of converting RBC avion points to AAadvantage account ?

TD is having a promotion of 30% extra bonus for conversion avion points to AA so I wonder if RBC will introduce the same promotion.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 4:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
TD is having a promotion of 30% extra bonus for conversion avion points to AA so I wonder if RBC will introduce the same promotion.
Since when did TD have Avion points? TD no longer has an AA credit card, and their travel card is the First Class is it not?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Any news of possible promotion of converting RBC avion points to AAadvantage account ?
30% bonus from Oct 5 to Nov 30 - http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/CanadaMi...nadaMileOffers

Originally Posted by smilee
Since when did TD have Avion points? TD no longer has an AA credit card, and their travel card is the First Class is it not?
TD First Class points convert to AAdvantage 4:1 (so 0.75 AA/$) (http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/product...es.jsp#aaMiles), though I'm not sure if the OP was confused between RBC & TD, or if the promo also somehow applies to these transferred points.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Re Bonus for converting RBC Points to AA:

Originally Posted by nabeelj
Has anyone done this and received the bonus? I transferred miles from my Avion card on October 7th, which posted to AA on the 10th. I only see the 1:1 transfer, and not the 30% bonus.

I will wait a few more weeks, but if they don't appear, I'm not even sure what department at AAdvantage to contact.

I am a bit concerned that the transfer shows as "RBC Avion Points to Miles" rather than "RBC Reward Points" - subtle difference I realize, but I don't think this would cause the problem (especially since I don't think RBC Reward Points earned on any card other than the Avion can be transferred to AA).
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
Re Bonus for converting RBC Points to AA:

Has anyone done this and received the bonus? I transferred miles from my Avion card on October 7th, which posted to AA on the 10th. I only see the 1:1 transfer, and not the 30% bonus.

I will wait a few more weeks, but if they don't appear, I'm not even sure what department at AAdvantage to contact.

I am a bit concerned that the transfer shows as "RBC Avion Points to Miles" rather than "RBC Reward Points" - subtle difference I realize, but I don't think this would cause the problem (especially since I don't think RBC Reward Points earned on any card other than the Avion can be transferred to AA).
Why would you call AA for this? They give you the points the bank buys from them.

If you have an issue with the bonus call the bank. Since you have the 1:1 why are you waiting weeks more? Just ask them.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Why would you call AA for this? They give you the points the bank buys from them.

If you have an issue with the bonus call the bank. Since you have the 1:1 why are you waiting weeks more? Just ask them.
In the past when AA has promoted a bonus for certain transfers (in particular from SPG and other hotel point programs), I believe it was AA's promo, not the hotel promo. But in this case you're right that I'm not 100% sure.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:22 pm

So I called RBC, and was told that it's definitely an issue on AA's end to credit the bonus.

I then called AA, and they told me that it's definitely an issue on RBC's end to credit the bonus.

(I had a hunch that would happen)

I pressed the AA agent further, and he went to talk to his supervisor, and they could find no record of this promotion. I then gave him the URL of the promotion on the AA website. He apologized, and said that they deal with a lot of promotions and it's hard to keep track of them all.

He wasn't sure why the bonus miles didn't post, other than that sometimes it does take a few weeks for the bonuses to post after the base miles. He suggested that I wait until next month, and if they don't post to call back. I made sure that he noted my account with the URL of the promo so I don't have to go through this again with the next agent.

(I should mentioned that both the agents at RBC and AA were super friendly, and were trying to be as helpful as they could.)
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Last year, when they had the 25% bonus, the transfer posted in my AA account as two line items, and on the same day:

RBC Avion points to miles
25% bonus for RBC conversion

The first one posted as x miles + 0 bonus, while the second one posted as 0 miles + 0.25x bonus.

Remember also, must have x >= 5000.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by nabeelj
I have transfered a large chunk of my RBC AVION points to AA miles on the first day of the promotion. Three weeks passed since then and the bonus has not been posted in the account Is there something wrong or it is normal ?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:27 pm

Just to document, sometime in the last few days the 30% bonus was credited (backdated to the date of the original transfer). It showed up as a separate entry titled "30% BONUS FOR RBA CONVERSION". Dunno if RBA was a typo for "RBC" or if it stood for "Royal Bank Avion". Either way, I'm happy to get the miles posted.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:38 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Has anyone had experience with transfer to another persons' AA account? Would like to transfer out of my GF's Avion card for AA MM but wouldn't put her through dealing with it if it might fail on mis-matched names....
Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by daveland
Has anyone had experience with transfer to another persons' AA account? Would like to transfer out of my GF's Avion card for AA MM but wouldn't put her through dealing with it if it might fail on mis-matched names....

Or transfer your Avion points to her EssoExtra. Then her EssoExtra to her Avion. She has to have unique Esso and Avion memberships of her own.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:26 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by ACArbeiter
Or transfer your Avion points to her EssoExtra. Then her EssoExtra to her Avion. She has to have unique Esso and Avion memberships of her own.
Not sure I follow that. I don't have any of those things She has Avion. I have AA. Just looking to get her Avion into my AA account...
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by daveland
Not sure I follow that. I don't have any of those things She has Avion. I have AA. Just looking to get her Avion into my AA account...
Not possible; the recipient of the AA miles must have an Avion.

Her Avion -> her Esso Extra -> your Avion -> your AA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.