Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What's the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about?

Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Thread founder Blumie had the following dedicatory post to kick off the original thread in June of 2010 to guide us, so we will take our cues from that to continue this hallowed FT-AA|A tradition. (FT Rules still apply.)

Originally Posted by Blumie
What's FT if not a place to complain about the small stuff? After all, we've seen threads in which people have complained about virtually everything, from the ceiling height at JAX to the font, ink and paper used to print boarding passes. So I thought I'd start what I hope will become the one of the most valuable and important threads in the history of FT, one in which we consolidate all of our complaints about stuff that just doesn't matter and that validates AA's decision not to have an official presence on this board.

I'll go first: I find it really annoying the way the napkins are fanned before being put out at the Admirals Clubs. Is this supposed to make us feel like the place is uber-fancy? Why don't they just forget about the fanning and put out some real napkins instead of the flimsy cocktail napkins they use?
Older posts have been archived, and may be read here.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Many of us probably received an email from AA describing new routes to Europe starting this summer.

My least substantive complaint is that the email went to my MIL (who has zero status) first and then to me (EXP) about four hours later.
dciolli likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Two complaint from the AA Planes chart:

1) How come they indicate the "Version 1" for the newer 778?
2) Why do the PE seats have different seat widths for essentially the same plane?

Boeing 787-8Expand
Version 1 – 239 seats
Premium Economy 38"18.5"Version 2 – 226 seats

Boeing 787-9Expand
285 seats
Premium Economy 38 19"

Last edited by teemuflyer; Apr 26, 2019 at 4:50 pm
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Two complaints from the AA Planes chart:

1) How come they indicate the "Version 1" for the newer 778?
2) Why do the PE seats have different seat widths for essentially the same plane?

Boeing 787-8Expand
Version 1 – 239 seats

Premium Economy 38" 18.5"

Version 2 – 226 seats

Boeing 787-9Expand
285 seats

Premium Economy 38" 19"

Last edited by teemuflyer; Apr 26, 2019 at 4:59 pm
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Took a early morning flight today from Texas on a American Airlines Embraer ERJ-175 (E75). The FA announced the front latrine was broke, and everyone needed to use the rear latrine. Found this a bit weird the E75 sat all night, but no repair was executed.

When I arrived at LAX (we arrived 30 minutes early), discovered I would be on the same E75 for my final destination. When I re-boarded 45 minutes later, the front latrine was still out of service. No announcement this time. Soon after takeoff PAX in rows 3 and 4 rushed for the front latrine at the same time. I was able to tell the PAX in row 4 the latrine was broke, he did a 180 and wen.t to the rear latrine. I was unable to pre-warn the PAX in row 3 I was in 3A, as I did not know for sure why he was heading to the front of the plane.

Surprised they were not able to service the issue at LAX, with the high density of Eagle aircraft all at the same remote terminal.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
Waiting for narrow body (738) flight to board. As a lowly Group 1 (not CK), in my typical bulkhead seat but with a rollaboard and backpack (rare for me to travel with anything other than a small travel pouch which I slot next to my person on the seat), I was sheepishly waiting by the Priority lane, against a pillar to keep the path clear for preboards and CKs.

Three in-uniform FAs had been clustered around the GA podium. I assumed crew for flight, waiting to board. GA calls for CKs (none board), which is when I realize the FAs are non-revving. GA then calls Group 1 and the three non-revs, without hesitation, board, and take their multiple large carryons ahead of them. On some A321s, above bulkhead seats, storage is occupied by safety equipment. It had been a long while since I was on a 738, so my concern of not having storage was without merit, but I still found it entertaining that in-uniform FAs charge to board prior to paying First passengers. The optics aren’t good. I work in a service industry and stress to my team all the time that optics matter. You (as an employee) may have not gotten to eat all day long, but customers / clients do not know that. So don’t let them see you eat because they will assume it’s at their “expense”. No idle chatter in front of clients. Etc. Maybe I am too hard nosed and not compassionate enough.

A small thing, but the mentality of “us first, passengers later”, is not really customer-service focused. Hardly surprising, I suppose.

Trivial rant over.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tismfu
Waiting for narrow body (738) flight to board. As a lowly Group 1 (not CK), in my typical bulkhead seat but with a rollaboard and backpack (rare for me to travel with anything other than a small travel pouch which I slot next to my person on the seat), I was sheepishly waiting by the Priority lane, against a pillar to keep the path clear for preboards and CKs.

Three in-uniform FAs had been clustered around the GA podium. I assumed crew for flight, waiting to board. GA calls for CKs (none board), which is when I realize the FAs are non-revving. GA then calls Group 1 and the three non-revs, without hesitation, board, and take their multiple large carryons ahead of them. On some A321s, above bulkhead seats, storage is occupied by safety equipment. It had been a long while since I was on a 738, so my concern of not having storage was without merit, but I still found it entertaining that in-uniform FAs charge to board prior to paying First passengers. The optics aren’t good. I work in a service industry and stress to my team all the time that optics matter. You (as an employee) may have not gotten to eat all day long, but customers / clients do not know that. So don’t let them see you eat because they will assume it’s at their “expense”. No idle chatter in front of clients. Etc. Maybe I am too hard nosed and not compassionate enough.

A small thing, but the mentality of “us first, passengers later”, is not really customer-service focused. Hardly surprising, I suppose.

Trivial rant over.
Nor really a stupid complaint. This is a real issue.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
The first lav in the LGA AC has been broken for weeks if not months now. That leaves two lavs in the men's room only. Completely ridiculous.

Also, where is the avocado toast station these days?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:05 am

Mrs. Thinsters (rebranded to just "Thinsters" now) chocolate chip cookies have made their way back into the domestic First snack basket, but in contrast to their prior appearance it's now a dinky little 0.75 oz bag.

My research thus far indicates this is only 4.2 cookies on average, which just does not satisfy.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:31 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Check
Mrs. Thinsters (rebranded to just "Thinsters" now) chocolate chip cookies have made their way back into the domestic First snack basket, but in contrast to their prior appearance it's now a dinky little 0.75 oz bag.

My research thus far indicates this is only 4.2 cookies on average, which just does not satisfy.
Yeah, I noticed this recently. What a waste of packaging for 4 tiny cookies.

And for my newest addition to this thread: We're now 41 minutes into a Compass/Eagle flight and 1 FA is serving the back passengers drinks, nearly complete. The FC attendant is hanging in the galley. She's been back to the rear FA twice, but still no drinks offered in first.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I just got served the PHL branded pretzel snack and almost asked for a different city (joking).
GrumpyYoungMan and enpremiere like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Angry

Seated in 1A on an ERJ175 from PHL to PWM the other day and the jerk face across the aisle put his loser brand empty backpack in the itty bitty overhead bin above me and I couldn't fit my laptop case. When I boarded he smiled at me, and it made me want to take his empty backpack and punt it up the jetway.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
“Please download the AA app prior to departing the gate” announcement made after take-off on LAX-ORD this past week.
lowfareair and dciolli like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I just got served the PHL branded pretzel snack and almost asked for a different city (joking).
I read this quickly and thought you said "(choking)"
Old May 6, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
The flight attendant paused and thought for a moment before returning from the rear galley.
"Due to recent budget cuts, this is all I was able to rustle up. Here you are sir." as they hand you a CLT-branded pretzel snack.

My AA 'fiction' novels just never seem to sell for some reason. Maybe they're just too close to future reality
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:50 pm

Couldn't get both my CK MD-80 baggage tag and the MD-80 at the gate in focus at the same time for a photo.

Two thumbs down for the inability to violate Snell's law at DFW.

-BP
dciolli likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.