Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What's the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Thread founder Blumie had the following dedicatory post to kick off the original thread in June of 2010 to guide us, so we will take our cues from that to continue this hallowed FT-AA|A tradition. (FT Rules still apply.)

Originally Posted by Blumie
What's FT if not a place to complain about the small stuff? After all, we've seen threads in which people have complained about virtually everything, from the ceiling height at JAX to the font, ink and paper used to print boarding passes. So I thought I'd start what I hope will become the one of the most valuable and important threads in the history of FT, one in which we consolidate all of our complaints about stuff that just doesn't matter and that validates AA's decision not to have an official presence on this board.

I'll go first: I find it really annoying the way the napkins are fanned before being put out at the Admirals Clubs. Is this supposed to make us feel like the place is uber-fancy? Why don't they just forget about the fanning and put out some real napkins instead of the flimsy cocktail napkins they use?
Older posts have been archived, and may be read here.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by MarJon
One of my most upsetting least substantive thing that bother the heck out of me is why isn't there Diet, Caffeine Free Coke available from those magnificent machines?????
Originally Posted by enviroian
It's called Coke Zero.
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Coke Zero is caffinated
Exactly! No way to mix my Rum and Caffeine Free Diet Coke
Interesting...every Freestyle machine I've ever seen had Caffeine Free Diet Coke. Perhaps it's an option the clubs aren't taking advantage of.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I guess a little more than least substantive. On Sunday I was nicely nested into seat 7F on a 738 at PHX when the GA comes onboard and demands to see my BP. I tell her the bp is on my phone but she won't give me 5 seconds to pull it up. Claiming I'm improperly seated I have to fight the incoming crowd to go back to the podium. When I arrive back at the podium the other GA says never mind the pax claiming to be in 7F gave us a wrong bp. So there I stand behind Group 9 to reboard the plane (luckily I didn't take any of my personal belongings with me). Doesn't AA's system tell them the pax that should be in that seat. If so it would clearly have shown my name and avoided all the drama.
I always prefer the security of a paper BP and print one off for every flight that I can. Electronic BP is a secondary back up.

IIRC, I had a flight a year or two back where there was a massive backup at security - I want to say it was ORD. The TSA staff was pulling folks out of line that had paper BPs and moving them to the front. Luckily I had my paper BP with me and skipped a good 30 person line.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I sit at the bar at the LGA AC often but can't believe there are no power outlets here.....UGH!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Coke Zero is caffinated
My bad. I thought it was both sugar and caffeine free. No wonder I haven’t been falling asleep on my flights.

ETA: if CZ has caffeine as does Diet Coke what is the differentiation? Type of artificial sweetner ?

Last edited by enviroian; Apr 22, 2019 at 11:05 am
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by JMorgana
Interesting...every Freestyle machine I've ever seen had Caffeine Free Diet Coke. Perhaps it's an option the clubs aren't taking advantage of.
I'm strictly referring to the Flagship Lounge in MIA.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
My bad. I thought it was both sugar and caffeine free. No wonder I haven’t been falling asleep on my flights.

ETA: if CZ has caffeine as does Diet Coke what is the differentiation? Type of artificial sweetner ?
Different flavor and marketing strategy.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador

Here's a list from HuffPost.... I'm 99% certain that the difference between Diet Coke and Caffeine Free Diet Coke is the caffeine....
Here’s the list of ingredients in Diet Coke:
Carbonated water, caramel color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, potassium benzoate, natural flavors, citric acid, caffeine.

Here’s the list of ingredients in Coke Zero:
Carbonated water, caramel color, phosphoric acid, aspartame, potassium benzoate, natural flavors, potassium citrate, acesulfame potassium, caffeine.

And here’s the list of ingredients in Coke Zero Sugar:
Carbonated water, caramel color, phosphoric acid, aspartame, potassium benzoate, natural flavors, potassium citrate, acesulfame potassium, caffeine,
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by JMorgana
It looks like Caffeine Free Diet Coke isn't an option on the smaller Freestyle 7000 machines they are putting in the ACs.

A Google search turned up some specification docs that a restaurant chain shouldn't have made publicly available (oops), but they reveal the "core" and "optional" base flavors available as standard for the 7000 machine. For Coca Cola, that's just regular, Diet, and Zero (all as core flavors).

For the curious: the optional flavors include Barq's, Dr Pepper, Mr Pibb, Powerade, and Hi-C / Vitamin Water.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by twa777
It looks like Caffeine Free Diet Coke isn't an option on the smaller Freestyle 7000 machines they are putting in the ACs.
Well the "least substantive thing" they could do would be to put a few cans of caffeine free diet coke in the adjoining refrigerator for me.
twa777 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA - My other choices are severely limited
Angry

March 17th, MIA, Concourse E AC lounge and they are OOS of Jameson. WTH!
Otherwise the LGA flight was a scheduled MAX, wound up on one of the antiquated 1999 "Classic 737's".
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Nomorepretzels
Otherwise the LGA flight was a scheduled MAX, wound up on one of the antiquated 1999 "Classic 737's".
complain ASAP! Survival is overrated.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Here's a list from HuffPost.... I'm 99% certain that the difference between Diet Coke and Caffeine Free Diet Coke is the caffeine....
Here’s the list of ingredients in Diet Coke:
Carbonated water, caramel color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, potassium benzoate, natural flavors, citric acid, caffeine.

Here’s the list of ingredients in Coke Zero:
Carbonated water, caramel color, phosphoric acid, aspartame, potassium benzoate, natural flavors, potassium citrate, acesulfame potassium, caffeine.

And here’s the list of ingredients in Coke Zero Sugar:
Carbonated water, caramel color, phosphoric acid, aspartame, potassium benzoate, natural flavors, potassium citrate, acesulfame potassium, caffeine,
I've always wondered what "natural flavors" is allowed to cover? Actually, I probably don't want to know.

AAnyway, I think that AA should use larger ice cubes to slow down the watering down of drinks.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
The AAngel at the AC in ORD didn't stamp the date on one of my drink coupons so I had to go back downstairs to have it stamped. Delayed my enjoyment of mediocre "Brut" by five minutes. Other inconsequential complaint - the elevators to the FL and AC in ORD are too slow!
aeroman380 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I've always wondered what "natural flavors" is allowed to cover? Actually, I probably don't want to know.
I once read that one type of natural vanilla flavor is produced with a chemical that is secreted from the anus of a beaver. And I read it on the internet so it must be true.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SouthernCross
It's impossible to use “wall wart” style power adapters with the seat outlets on most of the AA fleet. There’s not enough friction, and if the plug is not perfectly positioned, it loses contact. I’ve considered bringing along a roll of electrical tape to strap the adapter into place, but I doubt the cabin crew would be impressed.
I recommend picking up an international plug adapter and using the UK plug to connect to the aircraft, then plugging your wall wart into the adapter. The UK plug is much more secure. I use this one, which also has a pair of high-amperage USB plugs and a USB-C.
renila, zpaul and Antarius like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.