Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PIT / Pittsburgh International Airport Admirals Club (master thread)

PIT / Pittsburgh International Airport Admirals Club (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 17, 19, 3:45 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

PIT / Pittsburgh International Airport Mezzanine Admirals Club

Link to PIT AA airport information.

Link to PIT airport web site.

HOURS: The hours are posted on aa.com here.

AMENITIES:
  • 4,753 sw ft, capacity for 89 guests
  • Airport views.
  • “zoned music”, automated shades, mood lighting
  • Complimentary Wi-Fi
  • 93% of seating has USB power
  • some seating with wireless smartphone charging pads on side tables
  • an “an expanded self-service food station with cookies, chips, crudités, fruit, baked goods, hot soup, oatmeal, yogurt and salads, as well as new self-serve coffee/tea station and Coca-Cola Freestyle soda fountain”.
  • Food for purchase
The archived pre-2019 PIT Admirals Club thread can be read here.

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 18, 19, 4:00 pm
Moderator, Amtrak

Programs: AS MVP, AA Plat, DL Gold, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mmflyeraaua View Post
let us know when in opens thanks in advance
It opened yesterday to everyone.
Old Apr 18, 19, 5:20 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin View Post
I am flying out of PIT today.

When I got here on Monday it was still closed. They told me it opened yesterday.

I snapped a few quick pictures. Its obviously the standard renovation format. I had never been to the old club, so can't really do a comparison.
Aesthetically it looks a lot better but yikes!!! Looks like they shrunk the club by nearly an half. The club has always been packed on weekday mornings and evenings so if the club is indeed smaller with an 89 capacity limit they will have to turn customers away on some days.

Pictures can be deceiving though I hope I am wrong.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 19, 5:31 pm
Moderator, Amtrak

Programs: AS MVP, AA Plat, DL Gold, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
Aesthetically it looks a lot better but yikes!!! Looks like they shrunk the club by nearly an half. The club has always been packed on weekday mornings and evenings so if the club is indeed smaller with an 89 capacity limit they will have to turn customers away on some days.

Pictures can be deceiving though I hope I am wrong.
Its small. I wasn't a US flyer back in the days when it was a hub, so I never saw the original club. However, that was one of my thoughts that for a former hub there is no way that this club was only this size its heyday.

I'll let to more experienced folks chime in as they visit. Was very surprised that I had a chance to put something on FT "first". Usually it feels like people are there the same hour something happens in aviation on this site.
Old Apr 18, 19, 5:48 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin View Post
Its small. I wasn't a US flyer back in the days when it was a hub, so I never saw the original club. However, that was one of my thoughts that for a former hub there is no way that this club was only this size its heyday.

I'll let to more experienced folks chime in as they visit. Was very surprised that I had a chance to put something on FT "first". Usually it feels like people are there the same hour something happens in aviation on this site.
The old club had a weird design. When you passed the reception desk and the private business cubicle area it opened into a relatively large space with several sections that were split up by four foot tall walls. Think of office cubicles that only goes up as high as your chest. There was also a second snack/beverage station that had water towers, some fruits, etc.

Basically in your picture the wall I am seeing with the pictures of downtown was where the first column of those old sections ended. There was a total of three columns and two rows (IIRC) with a relatively wide walkway between the two rows. So the area of four seating sections in the back has been eliminated if this new wall is where the club ends on the left side (coming from the entrance).
Old Apr 25, 19, 12:12 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
The old club had a weird design. When you passed the reception desk and the private business cubicle area it opened into a relatively large space with several sections that were split up by four foot tall walls. Think of office cubicles that only goes up as high as your chest. There was also a second snack/beverage station that had water towers, some fruits, etc.

Basically in your picture the wall I am seeing with the pictures of downtown was where the first column of those old sections ended. There was a total of three columns and two rows (IIRC) with a relatively wide walkway between the two rows. So the area of four seating sections in the back has been eliminated if this new wall is where the club ends on the left side (coming from the entrance).
Finally in the new club and your description sounds about right. Basically two rows of seating to the left were eliminated. There are no comfortable seating areas with a view of the gates, just countertop seating along the windows. It's probably half of the seating of the old club. Even the restroom has fewer urinals/stalls. It's pretty packed at midday so I imagine you'd need to fight for seats during the morning and evening rush.
Old Apr 25, 19, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by flightrisk View Post
the restroom has fewer urinals/stalls. It's pretty packed at midday so I imagine you'd need to fight for seats during the morning and evening rush.

Just got a very funny mental image there that I would not at all put below the standards of decency of most AC patrons.
Old Apr 25, 19, 12:39 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post

Just got a very funny mental image there that I would not at all put below the standards of decency of most AC patrons.
LOL! In case it's not obvious, sloppy writing on my part. I meant the AC itself is packed and people would fight for those seats... Though your image might be possible! 😂
arlflyer likes this.
Old Apr 25, 19, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
perhaps they're just counting on people heading over to the priority pass The Club at PIT once their expansion over there is done...
Old Apr 25, 19, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm, TP Gold *G
Originally Posted by asf-07 View Post
perhaps they're just counting on people heading over to the priority pass The Club at PIT once their expansion over there is done...
I may go there even before their expansion is completed. Food is much better, if you can find a seat.
Old May 1, 19, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a couple of short visits this week and was pleasantly surprised. Indeed, the club is much smaller but probably the ideal size for a non-hub like PIT. Very attractive decor with lots of iconic local Pittsburgh scenes. The elevator was not working but by the continuing construction signs, I would assume that at some point there will be elevator service from the concourse to the mezzanine right by the club. Staff was great and seemed happy to be in the new digs. My OWE status was recognized and I was offered Premium Drink chits each visit.

Same old, same old crAApy AC grub. If you're hungry, head for The Club.

Well, that's certainly one way to cut costs.

Last edited by SFO777; May 6, 19 at 7:54 am
Old May 2, 19, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Plat; former UA Gold
I'm glad to see the Calder prints survived. Those were one of my favorite features of that club back in the day, and I know they've had a kin of tentative history since.

Funny, I can't remember the art from the other two former PIT US Clubs -- my memory is shot.

Thanks for all the great pics SFO777!
coxm likes this.
Old May 2, 19, 7:30 am

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Wow, they did shrink it. I remember it from the US Airways days and it looks 1/2 to 1/3 the size. Eeks.

Good to see the fruit and crudité station looking stocked. I did have to do a double take though. Next to the oranges and bananas were, what looked like, red onions (with the skin). Thought that odd initially for an Admirals Club. But we are talking about Pittsburgh here.
Old May 2, 19, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
Wow, they did shrink it. I remember it from the US Airways days and it looks 1/2 to 1/3 the size. Eeks. Good to see the fruit and crudité station looking stocked. I did have to do a double take though. Next to the oranges and bananas were, what looked like, red onions (with the skin). Thought that odd initially for an Admirals Club. But we are talking about Pittsburgh here.
Those red things would be apples. . Although the plastic wrap does give it an onion like look. LOL.
The fruit and crudité station looked much better and actually larger that the ridiculously small one in the massive PHL A club, which has to be 10 times the size.

Last edited by SFO777; May 2, 19 at 7:53 am
Old May 2, 19, 8:25 am

Programs: Aegean (Gold) American (EP)
Agree with BWISkyGuy that I'm happy to see the Calder prints survived. I grew up in Pittsburgh (my family still lives there) so I always visit the club on the way back home. A lot of the staff remember me from my old CP days with USAir.

Anybody know what they did with the rest of the space (that is now not part of the club)? I know PIT is slated for a redesign, but wouldn't imagine the Airport Authority would need that space.

Last edited by coxm; May 2, 19 at 8:25 am Reason: fixing the typo
Old May 5, 19, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
I had a couple of short visits this week and was pleasantly surprised. Indeed, the club is much smaller but probably the ideal size for a non-hub like PIT. Very attractive decor with lots of iconic local Pittsburgh scenes. The elevator was not working but by the continuing construction signs, I would assume that at some point there will be elevator service from the concourse to the mezzanine right by the club. Staff was great and seemed happy to be in the new digs. My OW status was recognized and I was offered Premium Drink chits each visit.
I’ve been in here this evening before the BA flight and also pleasantly surprised. It’s a small but nice bright space with decent window views, though not of the BA gate.

Thumbs up from me, less a few minus points:
- no proper hot food, but it’s a much nicer lounge overall than the Club, and the snack station is fine if you don’t need a full meal
- the best window spots have not-so-comfy chairs
- lame muzak, but at least not too loud

The staff have been very friendly and happy to dole out lots of chits to this OWS.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: