Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Multiply Your (AA) Miles - Mileage Multiplier (now 3x or 4x)

Old May 25, 10, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1.3 MM/LT Gold, WN A-List, DL Silver

The new AAdvantage Mileage Multiplier:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/yourChoi...Multiplier.jsp

With appropriate credit to TB member jmcd02 for posting the link there:
http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...ead.php?t=4447

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

Mileage Multiplier has been updated from 2x and 3x to 3x and 4x miles; the post has been updated to reflect current (Aug 2011) conditions and web links to resources.

Extracted from the T&C:

There are so many ways to earn miles and with Mileage Multiplier, your miles will add up even faster.

For example: Fly AA from Chicago O'Hare to Dallas/Fort Worth and you will earn 802 AAdvantage base miles.

Or…increase your mileage balance with Mileage Multiplier:

*Opt for triple miles and receive a total of 2,406 miles* for only $53

*Opt for quadruple miles and receive a total of 3,208 miles* for just $79
* Total shown includes base miles earned. The Mileage Multiplier product is currently offered at a rate of approximately 3 cents per mile. Prices shown include 7.5% sales tax, which is applied at time of purchase. Prices/offers are subject to change and cancellation.
Please Note: Mileage Multiplier miles are bonus miles and do not count toward elite status qualification.

See the Mileage Multiplier FAQ at aa.com here.

12/9/2010 - Mileage Multipliers may now be purchased during OLCI / online checkin at AA.com, in addition to at self-service kiosks.

/Moderators

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 12, 18 at 7:10 am Reason: now available via OLCI // insert moderator referral note
Old May 25, 10, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold
Truly excellent. This will help us reach million tiers rather easily if we are willing to pay up for the miles. Looks like its mirroring United's "Mileage Accelerator"--except it doesn't count for their lifetime miles like it does ours

I wonder if the quoted prices of $25 and $49 are universal or if they increase with the amount of miles we are willing to buy. Gosh, I sure wish they introduced this one in January-this makes the millions benefits much easier
Old May 25, 10, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Three cents per mile plus the federal excise tax? No thanks.

So sales of miles at $0.025 each plus tax aren't bringing in enough dough, so the solution is to try to scam the gullible for $0.03 each plus tax?

Imagine the scheme they dream up to try to fleece the ignorant for four cents each. Maybe someone out there can be tricked to pay five cents each.

Anyone have any idea why this deal is limited to triple miles? If someone is foolish enough to pay three cents each, why not offer 10X or 100X options?
Old May 25, 10, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold
Granted that the cost is high, but its a way for them to make money...

It's obviously worked fairly well for United, I think they've had it for a long time

FWIW, United allows the accelerator to be purchased upon purchasing the ticket-AA really needs to get their website in gear

Programs: AA-EXP, HH
As per the aa website next to the *thingy - "The Mileage Multiplier product is currently offered at a rate of 3 cents per mile. Prices shown exclude 7.5% excise tax, which is applied at time of purchase. Prices/offers are subject to change and cancellation."

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
Gosh ... and here I was tracking to get LT Gold at the end of next year, which would give me start to finish ~2 years from nothing to something ....

Now with the AAdvantage World card and EXP/Plt status, you could bump up nearly >4x (3x bump on miles, 2x AA miles per $$ on ticket, 1x bonus, plus cost of bump up [49 in example]) for each mile.

Fun stuff ...

+-ADT
Old May 25, 10, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Three cents per mile plus the federal excise tax? No thanks.

So sales of miles at $0.025 each plus tax aren't bringing in enough dough, so the solution is to try to scam the gullible for $0.03 each plus tax?

Imagine the scheme they dream up to try to fleece the ignorant for four cents each. Maybe someone out there can be tricked to pay five cents each.

Anyone have any idea why this deal is limited to triple miles? If someone is foolish enough to pay three cents each, why not offer 10X or 100X options?
These miles are technically elite qualifying if you think in terms of million mile tiers and can get someone closer to the million marks without having to do as many mileage runs.
Old May 25, 10, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PandT View Post
As per the aa website next to the *thingy - "The Mileage Multiplier product is currently offered at a rate of 3 cents per mile. Prices shown exclude 7.5% excise tax, which is applied at time of purchase. Prices/offers are subject to change and cancellation."
Let's use the actual cost to us, which is 3.225 cents per mile.

And agree, no thanks!

BTW, did anyone notice that they're not available with online check-in? How embarrassing for AA in general and AA.com specifically.

Also, did you notice in the example how the prices are rounded up? 802 miles cost $25 ($26.88 w/tax) instead of $24.06, while 1604 miles costs $49 ($52.68) instead of $48.12. More fleecing, and a cost of mile that grows, through misrepresentation (a form of fraud) all they way up to 3.35 cents. Quite embarrassing.

Last edited by hillrider; May 25, 10 at 12:00 pm
Old May 25, 10, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by hillrider View Post
BTW, did anyone notice that they're not available with online check-in? How embarrassing for AA in general and AA.com specifically.
Totally agree. What's up with the lack of web design and creativity? UA offers Priority line access and Award accelerator on their website upon ticket purchase (although I am glad AA doesn't offer Priority line because PA is already extremely congested imho at times!)
Old May 25, 10, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Lightbulb And now we have the answer...

...to the reason why all of a sudden AA 'updated' its systems a week or so ago to start posting miles quicker, even though this has been on the wishlist for a while.

In most cases, the Mileage Multiplier miles will post before you arrive at your destination!
With AA, EVERYTHING is driven by hard revenue
Old May 25, 10, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I am mostly impressed by this

"In most cases, the Mileage Multiplier miles will post before you arrive at your destination!"

It shows if AA really wants to get something done, it can be done.

This is not a bad idea but I will pass.
Old May 25, 10, 12:42 pm

Has anybody noticed that the miles bought are cheaper than those for Mileage Multiplier? It is 2.75 cents/mile to buy miles, plus the tax for at total of 2.95625 cents/mile.
MM is 3.00 cents/mile plus tax to total 3.225 cents nile
Because there is a $30 transaction charge to buy miles any purchase over 10,000 miles will be cheaper to buy directly than will be MM.

The question is: are these miles worth nearly 3cents per mile to you?
Old May 25, 10, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.5 MM, AA Concierge Key
I suspect this means the end of double and triple mile promotions. Why would they give them away for free now that they're charging for them? Passengers will just wait for the promotions rather than use the multiplier.
Old May 25, 10, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA LTP 3.3 MM, VS G, BA, Hyatt D, Hilton D
Mileage Multiplier Frequently Asked Questions

Found this on AA.com , I think it explains Mileage Multiplier a bit better.

Mileage Multiplier Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is Mileage Multiplier?
A: Mileage Multiplier is a new product that allows AAdvantage members to increase their mileage balance faster by purchasing extra AAdvantage bonus miles with every eligible flight. Please note that Mileage Multiplier miles do not count toward elite status qualification.

Q: Where and when is Mileage Multiplier offered?
A: Mileage Multiplier is offered to all AAdvantage members using Self Service Check-In machines located in the U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands in conjunction with an eligible flight. An eligible flight includes travel within the next 24 hours on a purchased fare on American Airlines, American Eagle or the AmericanConnection carrier. Reservations including travel on codeshare flights, other airline flights and AAdvantage award tickets are not eligible. Note: In order to be offered Mileage Multiplier, your AAdvantage number must be in your reservation at the time of your transaction.

Q: Do the purchased bonus miles count toward elite status qualification?
A: No, bonus miles do not count toward qualification for elite status membership, but they will add to your total available award mileage balance.

Q: How soon will my bonus miles post to my account?
A: Bonus miles will post to your account within 48 hours of the time of purchase. In most cases, Mileage Multiplier miles will post to your AAdvantage account before you arrive at your destination.

Q: How will the bonus miles appear in my account?
A: The bonus miles will appear separately from your flight on your summary statement with the description “Mileage Multiplier”. You can view your summary at AA.com.
Q: Is Mileage Multiplier offered via AA.com?
A: No, at this time, Mileage Multiplier is only offered at Self Service Check-In machines located in the U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Q: If I check-in for my flight on AA.com, how can I purchase Mileage Multiplier miles?
A: Go to the Self-Service Check-In machine at the airport and select the Reprint Boarding Pass or the Check Baggage Option and you will be given the Mileage Multiplier option.

Q: How do you determine the number of bonus miles to offer? Will I be offered the option to purchase the same amounts for each trip?
A: In most cases, the bonus miles offered are calculated using the base miles flown for the flight segment(s) eligible for check-in. For shorter flights, a minimum mileage amount may be applied. With the initial launch of the Mileage Multiplier product, you will be offered the option to purchase double or triple the base miles earned. Double miles are calculated at 100% of the base miles flown; triple miles represent 200% of the base miles flown. Offer is subject to change without notice.

Q: Can you provide examples of the Mileage Multiplier pricing?
A:

One-Way Trip Between: Miami - Turks and Caicos
Base Miles : 578
Double Miles 578 - Bonus Miles Cost* $18
Triple Miles 1,156 - Bonus Miles Cost* $35

One-Way Trip Between: Chicago O'Hare – DFW
Base Miles : 802
Double Miles 802 - Bonus Miles Cost* $25
Triple Miles 1,604 - Bonus Miles Cost* $49

One-Way Trip Between: DFW – Miami, FL
Base Miles : 1,121
Double Miles 1,121 - Bonus Miles Cost* $34
Triple Miles 2,242 - Bonus Miles Cost* $68

One-Way Trip Between: Los Angeles - New York/JFK
Base Miles : 2,475
Double Miles 2,475 - Bonus Miles Cost* $75
Triple Miles 4,950 - Bonus Miles Cost* $149

One-Way Trip Between: New York/JFK – Madrid
Base Miles : 3,589
Double Miles 3,589 - Bonus Miles Cost* $108
Triple Miles 7,178 - Bonus Miles Cost* $216

*Prices/offers subject to change. Excludes 7.5% excise tax, which will be applied at time of purchase.

Q: What happens if my flight cancels or is re-routed? Will I still receive the bonus miles purchased?
A: You will still receive the bonus miles purchased, regardless of whether or not your flight is cancelled or re-routed.

Q: Are the bonus miles purchased through Mileage Multiplier refundable?
A: No. Bonus miles purchased through Mileage Multiplier are non-refundable.

Q: Is there an annual maximum on the number of bonus miles that can be purchased through Mileage Multiplier?
A: No, there is no limit to the number of bonus miles you can purchase through Mileage Multiplier.

Q: Are there other ways to purchase additional AAdvantage bonus miles?
A: You may purchase additional AAdvantage bonus miles through our buyAAmiles(SM), giftAAmiles(SM) or you can share existing miles through shareAAmiles(SM). Visit www.aa.com/buymiles for details.

Q: Do all of the AAdvantage members in the reservation have to purchase Mileage Multiplier miles?
A: No, you can choose to purchase bonus miles for one, some or all AAdvantage members in the reservation. The choice is up to you.

Q: Is there a minimum number of miles that can be purchased?
A: Yes, if the base miles associated with your flight(s) are less than 300 miles, you will be offered the option to purchase a minimum of 300 Mileage Multiplier miles.

Q: Do Mileage Multiplier miles expire?
A: Provided you keep your account active, you can retain your miles indefinitely. Any miles earning or redemption activity maintains your miles for another 18 months. Learn more

Q: Who do I contact if I have questions about my purchase?
A: Contact AAdvantage Customer Service at 1-800-882-8880.
Old May 25, 10, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Why would anyone buy this? The rate per mile is almost the same as just buying miles outright.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: