Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Multiply Your (AA) Miles - Mileage Multiplier (now 3x or 4x)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Multiply Your (AA) Miles - Mileage Multiplier (now 3x or 4x)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt AA-Plat 0.1MM AMTK-Select IHG-Gold
Originally Posted by writetorich
The Airline industry pays its marketing people far less than their packaged goods or financial services marketing cohorts.

If they had any intelligemce, they would offer this at time of purchase added onto the fare as a one price all in.
I agree. Intercontinental and Holiday Inn have a similar deal. A room will cost X, but a room plus 3,000 priority club points costs x plus a small sum. The bonus points are burried in the room rate and unless someone else (like a corporate travel department or the client) is making the reservation, the bonus points are not disclosed.

i can see this type of program being very attractive to a traveler that travels alot and someone other than the traveler is ultimatly paying the bill (like a client or employer reimbursing travel expenses). Because the purchase of the points is burried in the hotel room rate and not openly disclosed on the bill, the ultimate payor pays a little more, the traveler gets some extra points and the hotel gets some additional revenue. Sounds like a win for two of the parties.

Rick

Last edited by NWAMileageSlave; May 25, 2010 at 5:13 pm Reason: Rick can't spell
Old May 25, 2010, 5:12 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rpmkwpw
The eyes on this don't roll back far enough:
for real???
I think he's saying that the marketing folks should have bundled this to facilitate folks cheating on their company expense reports and bilking the company for the extra miles. Is that how you read it as well?

Eyes rolling to the back of the head for sure.

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2010, 9:13 pm

Providing a personal incentive to a personfor the express intent of influencing current and future purchases using a product paid for by his employer is a form of a kickback or legal bribe.

The corporate flyertalker may choose her flights for the best personal perks and best personal gain.

But isn't it in the employer's ( and the payer of the travel) interests to have their surrogate arrive rested and on a non stop flown on carrier B as opposed to making a frivolous connection to earn miles on carrier A.

The original intent of frequent flier programs in the 1980's was to drive a wedge between employers and employees. It was at the time an admitted form of a legal kickback.
Old May 25, 2010, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by rpmkwpw
The eyes on this don't roll back far enough:
for real???
Yes rpmkwpw for real.
I was being serious.

May I respectfully ask why the eyes do not roll back far enough.

I think that we can have a stimulating discourse on the intent of frequent flier loyalty/affinity programs.

Is it your position that American Airlines AADVANTAGE Program primary goal is to

1- reward PAST purchasing decisions

or

2- Influence current and future purchasing decisions
Old May 25, 2010, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by brp
I think he's saying that the marketing folks should have bundled this to facilitate folks cheating on their company expense reports and bilking the company for the extra miles. Is that how you read it as well?

Cheers.
Ethics aside on the part of the person submitting the expense report, I was suggesting that AA would have a much higher uptake and thus gain a lot more incremental revenue and profits for its shareholders had they gone such a route.

I suspect that the reason this was not done has more to do with IT capabilities than any ethical concern

I will respectfully reiterate without flaming anyone that I don''t think my comment should cause eyes to rolls. The poster here are intelligent and Savvy.

Is it "Ethical" for the infrequent flier to have to subsidize the perks received by Flyertalkers?

If no miles or upgrades were awarded , fares would be lower and the occasional flier would benefit and we would be for the worse.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The math

Im about to fly from SEA to EZE manana. Its a bit under 14k Base miles for conversation purposes round trip. I know its closer to 13.5 but round numbers are better on an internet forum.

With my PLT status i would take home circa 28k miles counting the 100% bonus. I am flying coach but i have a milage + copay award moving me up on the bus to "C"

If i did the triple miles would i get the 28 plus triple, or would i get the 28 plus 14 more?
Old May 25, 2010, 11:37 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by writetorich
But isn't it in the employer's ( and the payer of the travel) interests to have their surrogate arrive rested and on a non stop flown on carrier B as opposed to making a frivolous connection to earn miles on carrier A.
Let me get this straight- you're suggesting that the flier would take extra legs just to get miles while on company business. However, if they can get extra miles that have no business purpose whatsoever and get the employer to pay extra for these (without telling them what they're doing, of course) they are actually doing their employer a favor? Seriously?

Still looking for the eyes rolling to the back of the head emoticon.

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, MR Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Why would anyone buy this? The rate per mile is almost the same as just buying miles outright.
Only because you are limited to how many miles you may buy in a given year vs. the no limit for the mileage multiplier.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Taking advantage of company travel policies is not cheating, it is merely a case of manipulating loopholes. Much of law involves manipulating loopholes; much of the work of governmental agencies involves manipulating loopholes, so to suggest that doing so is tantamount to cheating is completely ridiculous.

Here are a few things airlines have done to manipulate loopholes

1. Replace First Class with a Premium Business product that is marketed as "Business" for company travel policies but often costs as much as a First Class ticket (Air New Zealand/Air Canada, etc)

2. Create "Premium Economy" cabins similar in price and quality to Business Class 10/15 years ago. (Qantas, Air New Zealand, Virgin Atlantic, BMI, SAS)

3. Create "Economy Flex" fares for short-haul European travel marketed as a standard full-fare coach ticket and similar if not more expensive than a Business Class ticket (KLM, SN Brussels, SAS)
Old May 26, 2010, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by brp
Let me get this straight- you're suggesting that the flier would take extra legs just to get miles while on company business. However, if they can get extra miles that have no business purpose whatsoever and get the employer to pay extra for these (without telling them what they're doing, of course) they are actually doing their employer a favor? Seriously?

Still looking for the eyes rolling to the back of the head emoticon.

Cheers.
Huh???
No , you do not have it straight.
( please reread my posts ,in this thread, when you have a chance thank you)
I suggested that the common practice of taking an extra leg was a disservice to their employer. As is the common practice of flying on an inconvenient airline just to earn personal miles for personal vacations on , if you work for a public company,the dimes of widows.

No where did I mention or advocate that the padding of a personal expense was to an employer's benefit. It is not. My only comment pertained to what would have made this program wildly successful for AA. The context of my comment immediately followed several posters saying this was a dud.

However, the adding a leg or flying on an inconvenient airline , does not cause posters to ask if I am serious and role their eyes. Actually while a common practice here many consider unethical.

My comment about multiplier pertained to what would have dramatically increase the uptake of this offer. The marketing executives at AA are concerned with increasing their profits. I'll go out on a limb and say programs are designed to drive incremental revenue by encouraging ancillary expenses. The hotel wants you to use the more expensive hotel car that can be charged to the room and earn you points. What would be better for the employer and the common stock holders? -- A less expensive public taxi that earns no points of the Starwood property driver?

Hopefully I've clarified any misunderstanding.
If not--as I'm done discussing this topic-- we'll cordially agree to disagree.

Last edited by writetorich; May 26, 2010 at 12:14 am
Old May 26, 2010, 12:03 am

Programs: AA PLT, MR Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by JY1024
Well, AA wasn't the first to do it...

A friend of mine told me about the similar USAir program when it went live a few months ago... (Cursory glance seems to indicate that the USAir program is a slightly better deal - but don't hold me to it.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ns-merged.html

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...ultiplier.html
Agreed. USAir mileage multiplier seems to be a better deal.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:06 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've been offered the UA version for a while and have always said no, however, as I'm at 891,000 AA miles Lifetime, at some point next year I may have to start taking a long look at this product.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by All American Flyer
Exactly! They're charging 3 cents/mile. In order to get the miles for a one-way domestic upgrade (15k), you'd have to pay $450 in addition to the $75 copay. That makes a one-way domestic upgrade $525! You may as well buy an F class ticket at that point.
$4000 or so for a first class round trip to Europe isn't too bad.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
$4000 or so for a first class round trip to Europe isn't too bad.
If you can find availability (which is quite difficult, especially in summer) and are willing to forego the RDMs/EQMs for your flights. You can buy Business Class to Europe for between $3000 and $3500 even in summer (not that that's at all a bad deal).
Old May 26, 2010, 6:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.5 MM, AA Concierge Key
Originally Posted by All American Flyer
If you can find availability (which is quite difficult, especially in summer) and are willing to forego the RDMs/EQMs for your flights. You can buy Business Class to Europe for between $3000 and $3500 even in summer (not that that's at all a bad deal).
$3000-3500? You can go WELL below those prices. I've purchased J specials on AA as low as $1000-1200 before (eVIPing to F - not a bad deal). Just need to be a smart shopper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.